diy solar

diy solar

Mixing Lead and LiFePO4

I'm just very uncomfortable with it, because far too many of my friends have said "overblown" before an incident with either their wallet or the hospital.
How many of these involved a well set up and designed LiFePO4 / lead acid hybrid battery storage system? Can you elaborate further on what happened with these set ups?

Not overblown - like playing chess, think one move beyond the immediate:

If your boat burns down, and the inspectors see a hybrid-bank, even though it wasn't the cause, blame it and deny your coverage? Does the ABYC or any other worldwide marine entity condone this type of use?

Use at your own risk. It's a risk you are comfortable with, and not my job to sway you. I'm just very uncomfortable with it, because far too many of my friends have said "overblown" before an incident with either their wallet or the hospital.
I understand you think I haven't thought a move beyond the immediate, and that a superior chess player (which I'm obviously not) could look ahead and see what is faulty with my system. But while it seems to be obvious to you, I'm not aware, technically, what is wrong? Instead of educating about this important topic, you persist in withholding any substantive explanation. I don't understand why, since I've asked for one?
I would appreciate insight into the technical aspects, which I'm sure you could provide, but instead you just mention how you think there are no commercial products along these lines, and now, again without bringing me new knowledge as requested, you simply recite a parade of horribles, including others' tragedies, who you obviously tried to warn (but they just would not listen and then lost their boats!)
Please, I don't want to lose my garage at my cabin! I would appreciate a bit of a technical electrical and/or electrochemical explanation from your knowledge so I might be convinced. TYVM

I'm confused as to why anyone would want to in the first place.

Because I have some perfectly good lead batteries and want to get everything out of them that I can.

I have been running my hybrid system for over two months now and it is still working exactly as I expected. All of my Lifepo4 batteries have BT BMSs, and quite frankly I have grown bored looking at them everyday expecting something to be "wrong". Eventually I will phase out the lead, but I see no good reason to give up 40% of my storage capacity. Also, size and weight is of zero concern for me.

Kmac55 - I'm not trying to win any argument here. Do what you like.

I have already presented the reasons for not doing it, and why manufacturers and other entities don't recommend it either. In this thread. I do have experience believe it or not, down to the EI layer in lead-acid. (unlike the SEI layer in LFP, except for it's location between the plate and electrolyte).

In your situation, they don't apply to you. Fine, it's a free world - do as you please.

Last edited:
Canada in winter.

Option 1: heat lifepo4
Option 2: hybrid system
Option 3: physical switch between systems when freezing

(Biased towards lIfepo4 because of charging rate, though, so not dipping into agm is preferred.)

As with other threads and topics (not just solar related), there are always the naysayers who say something can't or shouldn't be done based on theories. And then there are those who have actually done it, and have real life data and experience.

I would appreciate insight into the technical aspects, which I'm sure you could provide, but instead you just mention how you think there are no commercial products along these lines, and now, again without bringing me new knowledge as requested, you simply recite a parade of horribles, including others' tragedies, who you obviously tried to warn (but they just would not listen and then lost their boats!)

Guys - I'm just trying to keep it friendly, and do what you like. You all seem quite capable of takin' care of business.

It's just that I go back to the Nigel Calder (boater, not science writer) marine days, when things about AGM's in particular - mostly big ass Lifeline 8D agm's - and such - smoking alternators, not obtaining full charge and all that fun, was a novelty for many transitioning from flooded to agm. While I was EV'ing it with Enersys pure-leads, he was doing the mariner thing so I followed his adventures closely.

Gosh, so many years ago now...

Back