diy solar

diy solar

Mixing LiOn Batteries with LiPo batteries, same voltage, different capacity, different banks?

Herb

Hello, I'm on a roll today :) I have 2 battery banks, both 36 volts nominal, (number 1) bank voltage can not be changed easily, and is composed of 36 LiOn battery packs 4.4 AH each in parallel, the other bank (number 2) is composed of 6 x 12 volts 100AH LiPo batteries in series parallel and thinking about going 48 volts later on by adding 2 more 12 volts batteries. In the mean time I like to make 1 bigger capacity bank by merging the 2 banks together, is this possible without blowing/damaging something? Can one 36 volts DC to AC inverter be shared by both banks at the same time? I really don't have that much room to split the 2 banks and make 2 different systems, I can use the Inverter with either one of the banks on it's own with no issues, but have to disconnect and reconnect each bank inverter cables every time I need to use one or the other bank. Any comments/ideas will be appreciated. If I could use the inverter on bank 1 and 2 or on both at the same time if possible, maybe by installing a breaker inline with the inverter cable so I don't have to manually disconnect/reconnect the cables, that would be more convenient and faster in case of a power outage or something like that. Maybe there is an easier way that won't drain my pockets.We had an outage last night and found myself messing with changing cables from one bank to the other, temperatures reached 105F yesterday. Luckily we have a window AC that vented some cooler air and kept us somewhat comfortable. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If the charging profiles are the same, you can put them in parallel.
But, this is a Frankenstein mess I wouldn't want anything to do with.
Good luck and be safe.

Hello, thanks for the reply. The charging profile is the same, I know is a mess lol, but just wondering if there is a way to either merge the batteries for more capacity, but they are different chemistry and is not recommended but I have seen some videos and basically they say is possible, with all the safeties in place just in case there is a problem with any of the batteries, it be better just to get another 36 volts inverter and run the bank to it, but I was thinking that in the meant time I could use the inverter I have with both banks. I want to get a 48v all in one, the Growatt 3000 watts seems to be the best suited and most economical, but was looking at the Victron multi plus, their new one, but the price is hefty. Anyways thanks for the feedback, I appreciated it.

Back