diy solar

diy solar

Mixing Panel Brands, Wattage and Voltage

Magicman421

I have an Aliner RV with limited roof space for PV.
To max wattage in the small space for mounting, I want to install (1) 200w 24v Rich Solar panel in series with (1) HQST Compact 100w 12v panel.
I'm using an EPEVER 150v 40A controller going to (2) Battle Born 12v 100ah in series.
If needed, I want to be able to add more PV later, within the limits of this same converter.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my plan?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Thanks to Will for all he has done to help so many!

Magicman421

[1] 200w 24v Rich Solar panel in series with one HQST Compact 100w 12v panel.

All panels in parallel should have very similar Vmp and Voc values.

All panels in series need to have the same Isc and Imp currents. All panels in series will be restricted to the LOWEST current of all panels in series.

Of the four parameters, Vmp and Imp are the more important.

Most "12V" and "24V" panels of the same wattage are close enough to not make a big difference. Mixing and matching panels of highly similar specifications will typically result in a 5-10% penalty in typical performance, e.g., a 800W array configured from two different types but highly similar panels would put out a maximum of 720-760W.

Severely mismatched panels can have massive performance penalties.

All panels in parallel should have very similar Vmp and Voc values.

All panels in series need to have the same Isc and Imp currents. All panels in series will be restricted to the LOWEST current of all panels in series.

Of the four parameters, Vmp and Imp are the more important.

Most "12V" and "24V" panels of the same wattage are close enough to not make a big difference. Mixing and matching panels of highly similar specifications will typically result in a 5-10% penalty in typical performance, e.g., a 800W array configured from two different types but highly similar panels would put out a maximum of 720-760W.

Severely mismatched panels can have massive performance penalties.
Thank you, very much!

Back