diy solar

diy solar

mobile battery using original packaging

John Frum

Tell me your problems
Just had an idea.
If you are doing a mobile application such as an overlander and you want to use Basen 280ah cells.
The cells come packed really nicely pic below.
Instead of using busbars use welding cable to make the serial connections.
Replace the 3 inch foam cap with a wooden platform to house the bms, fuse, etc.
Throw in a couple of desicant packs.
Strap them to a bulkhead and Bo's yer uncle.
IMG_20210115_145432.jpg

Last edited:
Just had an idea.
If you are doing a mobile application such as an overlander and you want to use Basen 280ah cells.
The cells come packed really nicely pic below.
Instead of using busbars use welding cable to make the serial connections.
Replace the 3 inch foam cap with a wooden platform to house the bms and fuse.
Throw in a couple of descant packs.
Strap them to a bulkhead and Bo's yer uncle.
View attachment 34143
That would be fine for a quick and dirty but....

* I am not sure how long the cardboard would hold up.
* The foam will give enough that the cells will move slightly in relation to each other. Even with welding cable (not solid bus bars), that will put some strain on the cell terminals that I would not want to risk, particularly in a mobile install. (I don't like those tiny terminals for any mobile install.... but the price still drives me to them.)
* Compared to bus bars, Welding cable with lugs is going to be higher resistance. (But it would still be OK if they are good crimps)

Yeah, I'd be concerned about any needed compression. Could those foam cells expand and contract with charging and discharging working the internal mechanical cell structures? Let's put it this way; They will expand and contract, is that really a problem?

I did go to great lengths to box my stack tightly by using a CNC router to precisely make the box perimeter. Did I waste my time? Maybe?

Perhaps smoothJoey you could ask the factory "if the cells need to be enclosed to prevent expansion". That would be really useful to know and a 'no' answer would green-light your suggested plan.

Yeah I hear you all regarding compression.
As I'm sure you all know engineering is about trade-offs.
I would guess the original packaging provides some fixture but no idea how much.
The bounce and vibration of a mobile application(especially in an overlander) might be the bigger threat.
I'm thinking about corduroy roads and such.

Last edited:
The cables you could completely mitigate by putting a small loop in each one. That loop will take ALL the stresses.
I would certainly reduce the stress, but even very fine 1/0 welding cable is stiff enough to concern me. (And the loop would not be that small)

Re the cardboard. In my industry, Tile and stone installations, we use a product made by a company called Laticrete. It is called Hydroban. It is a very thick liquid that very quickly hardens into a waterproof barrier to finish subsurfaces in pools, fountains, and showers. It is Kevlar reinforced to provide strength but remains very stretchable and mailable to prevent cracking during structural settling and seasonal breathing cycles in construction framing. While it's not surface wear rated for foot traffic alone untill covered with flooring the stuff cannot be torn by hand when applied to the manufacturer spec thickness. This stuff is incredibly strong and any carboard box can be made into a extremely strong water retaining container in 15 minutes with it. You cannot tear a box treated with it and it becomes a permanent box unless exposed to excessive UV. No nomad/homestead would not benefit from having a gallon on hand.

That's true it would be probably a few inches across adding ~ 6" to a run.

Hey Newb; Stuff sounds interesting. Does it completely dry? Would it melt the cardboard before it set up?
No it will not damage the cardboard. It can be used over blueboard walling. Zero swelling and such. Store counter top displays for it are the flimsy boxes like those that 500 business cards come in. They fill them and just leave them sitting till the water gets gross then they refill them.

It's made in a very rapid drying formula so it will not cause any delay to contraction times, and definitely no need for return trips by crews, it take about 10-15 min tops. It goes on a yellow color then turns green when it cures. It's not cheep though.

Back