diy solar

diy solar

"Moisture in air powered generator"

Darkstar

Rain Wrangler
I would dig this. Lots of moisture in the air here...

Output is low at present.

Via: PhysOrg:

Scientists at the University of Massachusetts Amherst have developed a device that uses a natural protein to create electricity from moisture in the air, a new technology they say could have significant implications for the future of renewable energy, climate change and in the future of medicine.

As reported today in Nature, the laboratories of electrical engineer Jun Yao and microbiologist Derek Lovley at UMass Amherst have created a device they call an “Air-gen.” or air-powered generator, with electrically conductive protein nanowires produced by the microbe Geobacter. The Air-gen connects electrodes to the protein nanowires in such a way that electrical current is generated from the water vapor naturally present in the atmosphere.

there are other types of devices in this range (micromachines) but they all have one thing in common, the actual power available is extremely low (microwatts) and it cannot really get any better(does not scale) because, well, thats all there is at that level hehe

keep your fingers crossed that research money goes into fusion research, its the only viable power moving forward that will actually help.

I like all these gee whiz Science Article that really never amount to anything.

Although Fusion looks good in science fiction, I don’t think there‘s been a single practical thing done to make it viable. I also think its a dead end due to environmental concerns. If nuclear power got introduced after WWII as a way to provide cheap clean unlimited power, what makes anyone think that fission would be a viable source?

Back