diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring for new EG4 3kW inverters - solar assistant compatible?

Riwall

Hi all,

I just got two of the EG4 3000EHV-48 inverters for a split phase system. Playing around with monitoring while waiting on my panels to get delivered. The include wifi dongles seem to only support the SmartESS app which is pretty terrible. Looks like solar assistant might be a good option but I can't find confirmation that it's compatible with these inverters. Has anyone setup solar assistant with these? Or is there another option for monitoring that works well?

When you figure it out please let me know. I am looking at the manual and there are no current sharing wires between the inverters on the same phase. Only communication cables weird. How many are you paralleling? The 6.5 had an awesome app pretty easy to set up and very addicting. From what I'm understanding this one is a little more Stone Age.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220701-214128.png
    Screenshot_20220701-214128.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220701-230024.png
    Screenshot_20220701-230024.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 21
When you figure it out please let me know. I am looking at the manual and there are no current sharing wires between the inverters on the same phase. Only communication cables weird. How many are you paralleling? The 6.5 had an awesome app pretty easy to set up and very addicting. From what I'm understanding this one is a little more Stone Age.

I'm just doing two for now, split phase. What app does the 6.5 use?

Looks like the SmartESS app. Have you noticed a large delay for data refreshes? It seems like it's about 5-10 mins behind for me.

I checked. Its on point for me so far. Definitely like watchpower better

Last edited:
So, I've made a little progress. It doesn't seem that Solar assistant is directly compatible with these inverters right now. I installed it on a RPI and tried The Voltronic, Growatt, and Solarc profiles without luck. Tried a few different USB/RS-232 adapters just to be safe. The Watchpower PC also does not connect. After a bunch of trial and error I found out that the inverter is using Modbus RTU on the RS-232 port at 9600bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity. I don't have the register map but have started cross referencing the LCD data and Modbus output to figure out some of the useful ones.

Update if anyone else is looking at getting these inverters communicating: Solar assistant now has support for the 3000EHV. It falls under the Sumry category in the setup menu and works really well.

Update if anyone else is looking at getting these inverters communicating: Solar assistant now has support for the 3000EHV. It falls under the Sumry category in the setup menu and works really well.
Riwall, did you have to do anything else special to get it working? I am using the EG4 supplied rj45 to db9 cable plugged in at the bottom with an insignia rs232 to usb adapter. When I click connect in solar assistant it says connected then quickly changes to “No response.. Reconnecting in 10s”.

Riwall, did you have to do anything else special to get it working? I am using the EG4 supplied rj45 to db9 cable plugged in at the bottom with an insignia rs232 to usb adapter. When I click connect in solar assistant it says connected then quickly changes to “No response.. Reconnecting in 10s”.
For anyone that comes across this I just needed to update to v2022-10-30 and then sumry became an option and it connected.

Back