diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring Growatt-5000ES/3000-ES over USB with raspberry-pi

ssolomon

Hello,
I purchased a signature-solar growatt 5000ES and has been working great. I wanted to collect statistics on the inverter and graph them, so after some reading on this forum I purchased an RS485 adapter and went that route. While waiting for my rs485 adapter to arrive, I tried connecting the supplied usb cable from growatt to a raspberry pi and was able to communicate with the inverter.
I decided to bundle up what I put together for someone else to save them some time and not have to screw around with the RS485 directly.

All you need is a raspberry pi and the usb cable included with your inverter. Should only take about 15 minutes to get the scripts up and running.

Enjoy!

Nice - I like the idea and using the Pi is a great idea. I am thinking of using Arduino myself to collect all data.
I have a Simarine solution but does not tie the Wakespeed, JK BMS, Xantrex or the Victron.

Also thinking of capturing data from the Compustar car alarm, and other edge sensors

@ssolomon Question - Why Pi and not Arduino?

I've been trying to communicate with my Growatt 5000 US version from Signature solar but have not had any luck. When I connect to PC or a Pi, I can see it show up as a serial device, but I don't see any TX/RX on either. On my Raspberry Pi 4 it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0 so I modified your script to use this device, and still don't get any output. Any thoughts?

Hello,
I purchased a signature-solar growatt 5000ES and has been working great. I wanted to collect statistics on the inverter and graph them, so after some reading on this forum I purchased an RS485 adapter and went that route. While waiting for my rs485 adapter to arrive, I tried connecting the supplied usb cable from growatt to a raspberry pi and was able to communicate with the inverter.
I decided to bundle up what I put together for someone else to save them some time and not have to screw around with the RS485 directly.

All you need is a raspberry pi and the usb cable included with your inverter. Should only take about 15 minutes to get the scripts up and running.

Enjoy!

I wanted to thank you for this program. It is working great on my system!

If you get it working you'll have to let me know what I am missing. I bought mine from you guys and when plugged in to the Pi or the console port I don't see any output.
Which version are of the 5000ES are you using? I don't get any output on mine.
I had to use the exact cable they sent me. I originally used a longer USB A male B male cable I had and it did not read either. Once I connected the original it read right up. Note also I am using this on 6000 DVM inverter and running Ubuntu Server 21.10

I had to use the exact cable they sent me. I originally used a longer USB A male B male cable I had and it did not read either. Once I connected the original it read right up. Note also I am using this on 6000 DVM inverter and running Ubuntu Server 21.10
Unfortunately that's the cable I am using. It's not a problem of the inverter not really getting recognized. I can see it connected as a serial device, but I don't get output. I am thinking maybe it's a setting within the inverter itself that I am missing.

I need a few minutes to get my Raspberri Pi with Victron Venus OS connected to my Growatt 5000ES's to see if I can make that work. Venus works wonderfully in my RV solar solution. I bet money I can make it work with Growatt 5000! Stay tuned.
==chuck

Hello,

Enjoy!

Hi, did you manage to setup the RS485 communication too with Growatt 5000 ES? May I know that can the Growatt inverter communicate via RS485 port with a microcontroller(arduino)/PC while the inverter is already communicating with the wifi dongle and battery BMS (that means, dongle is connected to its port on the inverter and battery BMS is connected to inverter's BMS port)? Thanks :)

I've been trying to communicate with my Growatt 5000 US version from Signature solar but have not had any luck. When I connect to PC or a Pi, I can see it show up as a serial device, but I don't see any TX/RX on either. On my Raspberry Pi 4 it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0 so I modified your script to use this device, and still don't get any output. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat with the SPF3000TL LVM-ES I bought last year. There seams to be very little information on this new communication board, so we may be out of luck till someone takes a crack at it. Id give Solar Assistant a try, but they don't seam to offer a free trial to make sure it actually works.

Hello,

I know I'm very late to the party, but here goes my question.
I see that in the growatt documentation tehre is BMS info from input register 90 to 117. Using the code supplied here + a bit of modifications, I am trying to get BMS data. It always comes back as 0. Am I missing a slave address, parameters something? I tried with slaves 0 to 3 and nothing. I am interested mostly in error/warning codes + cell voltage vlaues. Did anyone manage to do this?

Regards

Back