diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
Growatt has monitoring software ; called PV Keeper, MPP Solar also provides software which goes by a different name WatchPower.

So far I am not having much success with getting either software to connect to my Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM inverters. I can occasionally get PV Keeper to connect s but it crashes frequently; no luck getting WatchPower to connect. Anyone know if WatchPower works with Growatt?

Are there any other options available for these inverters or any words of advise on getting the software to work? So far very happy with the Growatt , but no so much the software...

My goal is to be able to remotely monitor my system when away.

Along similar lines has anyone have a program to communicate with Chargery BMS? From the manual I understand that you can access data via RS232 via a Hex dump, but that is beyond my skill set.

Tagging as this is an interesting thing for my Growatt (enroute). Hopefully someone will speak plain english with it.

Anyone know if WatchPower works with Growatt?
I don't know for sure but I very much doubt it. communication protocols (e.g. what data is sent when) are usually proprietary, even if the transport protocol (wires, voltages etc) are standard e.g. RS232, Ethernet etc.
My goal is to be able to remotely monitor my system when away.
AFAIK, neither Growatt or MPPSolar have remote monitoring systems. These are budget products, with budget specifications. Buy a Victron and you'll have all the data, analytics and configuration options you could ever possibly need at your fingertips whilst relaxing is natural hot-tub in Turkey. Or down the pub... But, of course, this comes at a price.

their remote monitoring comes from the wifi dongle you have to attach to the unit.

how are you trying to connect to the units? I have my growatt sitting in my kitchen currently as it just showed up today. USB cable came with it and a disc for software install. I assumed I would be sitting in the basement with a laptop hooked up via the USB to comunicate with it. (as opposed to the RS232/serial port)

how are you trying to connect to the units? I have my growatt sitting in my kitchen currently as it just showed up today. USB cable came with it and a disc for software install. I assumed I would be sitting in the basement with a laptop hooked up via the USB to comunicate with it. (as opposed to the RS232/serial port)

Hopefully you will have more success than I in communicating with the Growatt either through the dongle or USB port. I don't think its the inverter as much as the software, but it could just be me..

I have a growatt that just arrived last night that I will be installing. I have ICC reporting on my LV2424MSD and am hoping it will also work on this Growatt... will let you know when I have it hooked up.

Excellent, let me know. Thx

new unit installed and working. my old watchpower isn't connecting but the PVPower IS connecting.. at least I can see what is going on... Haven't been able to change things through the software yet. ICC software wasn't that easy either.. looks like for both I will have to resort to RTFM. Will let you know after I research.

Once I actually read the manual.. PVPower is connecting just fine and I can use it for local monitoring and configuration. Watchpower is still no joy.
I am still hoping to get the ICC software working. Talked to their support. They have always been super and say that as soon as they can get a protocol documentation, they can implement it to talk back and forth. In the end, I have been spoiled by the ICC software.. not only can I check my unit remotely, but it has whole bunches of information I probably don't really need to know but is fun to look at.
Will keep you posted on the results as I get them

PVPower is connecting just fine and I can use it for local monitoring and configuration.
The software that came with mine is PVKeeper. I also can connect but it crashes frequently. I wonder if PVPower is a newer version?

I hope you can get ICC running as I had hoped to be able to monitor remotely. Does ICC push data to the cloud, or do you have to set up a VPN that allows you to access when not on your local LAN.

soon as they can get a protocol documentation, they can implement it to talk back and forth.
Is ICC reaching out to Growatt to get the protocol's or were you able to provide that? I don't see any in the manual

My unit came in today and I'm all set up and running, I just can't figure out how to load the software onto my CPU. It came on a mini CD!!!???
I haven't used a CD/DVD drive on my PC in ages.

I went to the growatt website but couldn't find a download link for it. Anyone know the link to get the software via the web?

I was originally looking at growatt, I believe you use the WiFi dongle and shineapp on your phone to register it against the growatt server.

Then it outputs all the data to there for you

If you want local data and have a raspberry pi lying around you could look at using modbus over the rs232 https://pypi.org/project/growattRS232/

Last edited:
I did see that, but I should be able to see my dats via the USB port. I rather not go thru their servers, also the WiFi dongle is another 85 bucks and it will take another week to get there.
I did call their support # and they directed me to their service via email. Worst case I’ll hit up bestbuy and get a cheap external drive. Thanks for the info.

My unit came in today and I'm all set up and running, I just can't figure out how to load the software onto my CPU. It came on a mini CD!!!???
I haven't used a CD/DVD drive on my PC in ages

I had the exact same problem and could not find the software for download on the Growatt website. I contacted the US distributor and he directed me to https://www.watts247.com/manuals/gw/SoftwareCD/PV Keeper/where I was able to download a version which did not work. Luckily I was able to borrow a portable CD drive to download the software from the mini CD.

The program crashes frequently for me and limited in functionality but maybe that is just my lack of expertise. Hopefully works for you. Keep us posted.

I had the exact same problem and could not find the software for download on the Growatt website. I contacted the US distributor and he directed me to https://www.watts247.com/manuals/gw/SoftwareCD/PV Keeper/where I was able to download a version which did not work. Luckily I was able to borrow a portable CD drive to download the software from the mini CD.

The program crashes frequently for me and limited in functionality but maybe that is just my lack of expertise. Hopefully works for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the link! Were you able to change the settings thru the software? When I try to get into setting it asks me to log in? Is there a default password for the program? I can't find anything with one.

I believe it is 123456 default password
Yes Sir that was it, thanks!

I was able to load the software and use it without any issues. Did you download the right 1? I noticed they had 2 versions, 32 and 64bit.

PV keeper is basically the Inverter settings screen on your PC with a basic data logger that can be ported to excel for your records.

It's easier to change the settings and look at real time stats thru the software than scrolling thru the settings on the small screen. I might look into the WIFI Dongle to see what else it offers.

Thanks for the help guys!

I don't know for sure but I very much doubt it. communication protocols (e.g. what data is sent when) are usually proprietary, even if the transport protocol (wires, voltages etc) are standard e.g. RS232, Ethernet etc.

AFAIK, neither Growatt or MPPSolar have remote monitoring systems. These are budget products, with budget specifications. Buy a Victron and you'll have all the data, analytics and configuration options you could ever possibly need at your fingertips whilst relaxing is natural hot-tub in Turkey. Or down the pub... But, of course, this comes at a price.

Depends on the model they offer WiFi 4G connectivity

I was able to load the software and use it without any issues. Did you download the right 1? I noticed they had 2 versions, 32 and 64bit.

The 64bit version. Glad its working for you, mine keeps crashing on my Lenovo laptop windows 10.

Back