diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

I have been happily using the Growatt PV keeper for over a year and it works great.
I had the same problems with the software at first until I right clicked the icon and selected "run as administrator"
It never crashes now. It can also be used to change your growatt settings from the computer. The next question then is what is the password for the settings menu. Mine was 123456 or 12345678 and then you can get the screen to change the growatt settings. once you successfully put in the pw you have to click on settings again and it wont ask for the pw. I cant remember if i used 32bit or 64bit program. I found my solution deep down in a past DIYsolar forum discussion somewhere.

Joe has it right. I have been using Solar Assistant for almost a year now and it works great. They keep improving it too, one of the latest updates allows it to connect to some brands of BMS to directly monitor battery conditions. Being able to access it by either computer (locally or remotely) or phone app is another plus.

I also cannot recommend Solar Assistant enough. It is a fantastic piece of software and just keeps getting better.

I currently run 2 Growatt inverters in parallel, with a Daly BMS, and also run Home Assistant. The software virtually seamlessly works with all 4 'things' (2 inverters, 1 BMS, and HA). I am able to not only change the settings over wifi/via the software but with the recent updates of HA/MQTT control, I am able to run automations through HA that alter the functioning of the system. It essentially gives me the ability to peak save/shave/load share with my system now. It's a game changer if you ask me.

Growatt has monitoring software ; called PV Keeper, MPP Solar also provides software which goes by a different name WatchPower.

So far I am not having much success with getting either software to connect to my Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM inverters. I can occasionally get PV Keeper to connect s but it crashes frequently; no luck getting WatchPower to connect. Anyone know if WatchPower works with Growatt?

Are there any other options available for these inverters or any words of advise on getting the software to work? So far very happy with the Growatt , but no so much the software...

My goal is to be able to remotely monitor my system when away.

Along similar lines has anyone have a program to communicate with Chargery BMS? From the manual I understand that you can access data via RS232 via a Hex dump, but that is beyond my skill set.
I tried watchPower and PV Keeper and wasn't really happy with either. I decided the free software was worth every penny I paid for it. I have ended up with something from solar-assistant. Software runs on a Raspberry PI. and initially looks kind of geeky and difficult to configure .. To keep it simple, they have a preinstalled package with both hardware and software preloaded for $150. https://solar-assistant.io/shop/products/device_rpi_zero ..
With this package I can connect wireless to my home and view anywhere. I can also have basic controls of the inverter.

Attachments

• SolarAsst.JPG
    SolarAsst.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 9
neither Growatt or MPPSolar have remote monitoring systems.
Actually the web version of the Shine software https://server.growatt.com/selectPlant
will let you remotely monitor and change settings.
Same applies to the iOS ShinePhone app.
You do need to plug in the WiFi-USB-dongle that is referred to as a Datalogger.
My gripe about this software is that it has very inaccurate SoC 'estimates'. With data collected every 5 minutes it should be simple to calculate Watt-hours in and out of the battery. I do not have the Daly BMS sending digital signals to the Growatt (yet) and I suspect that Growatt expect people to do this routinely.

If you have the WiFi data-logger plugged into the USB port of the Growatt (SPF 5000ES in my case) you can set up a cloud account using the SHINE phone app. (you need to set up a username and password). see https://server.growatt.com/login
To make adjustments to the Inverter's settings using the phone you have to provide a different password. "growatt20220827" is today's password. Tomorrow it will be "growatt20220828" in other words it's growattYYYYMMDD
It is an annoying procedure, but that's their system to reduce the number of people making changes to parameters like charging-cut-off voltage.
The data is updated every 5 minutes. You can see the logs, but so far I have not discovered how to download these logs to my PC. Has anyone found a method?
If you have two of these inverters, each with a data-logger, then the SHINE software will show separate logs and graphs for the two inverters, and also a combined dashboard with the totals for the two inverters added together.
If you use a PC web browser to log into the same account you have access to more graphs.
Also, battery voltages are expressed with a decimal point! (unlike the phone app that shows integer values e.g. 50v could mean 50.499v or could mean 49.500.

Hi there,
Many thanks for sharing this document, I am trying to read BMS parameter from inverter from addresses mentioned in the document, I could read cell's voltages but I found there is an offset by +7 of there address.
So if you have an updated version it will be great.
Sorry, I have no newer document.

...You can see the logs, but so far I have not discovered how to download these logs to my PC. Has anyone found a method?...
Log on to shine server from PC browser or phone (select "desktop site" from settings)
Switch from Dashboard to Energy section.
> Parameter comparison
Choose Time/date/month/year, on the right side upper corner there is "Export" option.

You also can set up weekly report to be sent to your email.
Main page > switch to Settings section > tab 3 Email Set
Add your email and check which reports you wish to be sent.

Lost connection this morning on dongle (and have flashing green light on wifi dongle so wifi connection is good) - not sure if a full reset is needed - will try to disconnect from usb port and power back up and see if that works.

neither Growatt or MPPSolar have remote monitoring systems.
Actually the web version of the Shine software https://server.growatt.com/selectPlant
will let you remotely monitor and change settings.
Same applies to the iOS ShinePhone app.
You do need to plug in the WiFi-USB-dongle that is referred to as a Datalogger.
My gripe about this software is that it has very inaccurate SoC 'estimates'. With data collected every 5 minutes it should be simple to calculate Watt-hours in and out of the battery. I do not have the Daly BMS sending digital signals to the Growatt (yet) and I suspect that Growatt expect people to do this routinely.
you're being very kind. their software is PAINFUL. i have yet to make any sense of the load consumption numbers. PV appears to be correct. SoC is flat out completely incorrect.

you're being very kind. their software is PAINFUL. i have yet to make any sense of the load consumption numbers. PV appears to be correct. SoC is flat out completely incorrect.
After trying for 2 weeks just to get it to work, I gave up. That's why I have Solar Assistant, and I'm much happier now.

I have been happily using the Growatt PV keeper for over a year and it works great.
I had the same problems with the software at first until I right clicked the icon and selected "run as administrator"
It never crashes now. It can also be used to change your growatt settings from the computer. The next question then is what is the password for the settings menu. Mine was 123456 or 12345678 and then you can get the screen to change the growatt settings. once you successfully put in the pw you have to click on settings again and it wont ask for the pw. I cant remember if i used 32bit or 64bit program. I found my solution deep down in a past DIYsolar forum discussion somewhere.
PVKeeper would load then crash for me. Did this ^^ Ran as an admin and connected to a com port works perfectly. Thx

Any idea if this software works with the stand alone Growatt SCC?

If You want PV Keeper to work with win10 - do the following, Joe
1. must have success loading the Silicon Labs Usb driver - on disk - verify in device manger under ports (not seeing ports - click view -
show hidden devices)
2.from Device mngr - ports - right click on silicone labs driver - properties - port settings - advanced - turn OFF fifo
3. right click desktop PV Keeper icon - properties - compatibility - check run in compatibility Windows7, click Change
settings for all user and select Run as Administrator. This works on my Growatt SPF 6000t dvm with a 25' usb extension cable
like this one - has repeater - USB Extension Cable 25FT High Speed 480Mbps USB 2.0 Active Repeater M/F
Hope this helps - https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Extension-Cable-25FT-High-Speed-480Mbps-USB-2-0-Active-Repeater-M-F/402434692488?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Hi, I got mine connected alright but the display shows nothing! Any help there?

Yes Sir that was it, thanks!

I was able to load the software and use it without any issues. Did you download the right 1? I noticed they had 2 versions, 32 and 64bit.

PV keeper is basically the Inverter settings screen on your PC with a basic data logger that can be ported to excel for your records.

It's easier to change the settings and look at real time stats thru the software than scrolling thru the settings on the small screen. I might look into the WIFI Dongle to see what else it offers.

Thanks for the help guys!
hi compman,, i know it a long time since you posted this issue :) but im having problems connecting with PVKeeper 2.0 to my Growatt SPH3600. Did you use USB -- USB cable between pc and inverter ?

Back