diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

Wow, is that screenshot you posted from the latest version of Solar Assistant? If it is then its a LOT different, I like it !!

Wow, is that screenshot you posted from the latest version of Solar Assistant? If it is then its a LOT different, I like it !!
No that is Home Assistant screenshot with Solar assistant integrated in via Mqtt, see pic of Solar Assistant at bottom of configuration page.
1631616907933.png

Last edited:
OOOOOO, OK ! Don't tease me like that ! LOL
This is a tease, Home assistant dashboard, even loads on phone perfect, description in darker blue Box, also see "Tot Produce" - from Growatt server integration, Solar assistant doesn't show - 6708kwh = 6.7Mwh since 9-1-20.
1631617317820.png

I currently have 8 battleborn batteries 4s2p connected to the inverter. Plenty of $$$$. I discovered that the battleborns (in another thread on this site https://diysolarforum.com/threads/battleborn-batteries-inverter-startup-issues.11535/ ) go into current limit if you don't charge the capacitors in the inverter first before turning things on. I just bought this $280 device from battleborn to combat this issue: https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/current-surge-limiter/ so that I can turn the inverter off and on with a breaker without the need to disconnect anything.

I also have 8 Solar rated lead acid batteries which were about a 1/6 of the cost of the Battleborns and another 56 Lithium batteries that I will use to make a 14s4p 48volt powerwall with 4x 14s 100A Daly BMSs as shown by David Poz on YouTube:
part1
part2

Too many projects on the go at the moment so will stick with the Battleborns for now but I will build something that allows me to select the battery source for the inverter as long as I can figure out how to change the battery parameters on the inverter easily and programatically.

Hope this helps.

-Vince

Most people use a lightbulb to precharge the capacitors, using 2 switches or one and a delay. First turns on the lightbulb which will brighten then go out and the second shorts it out. A lot cheaper.
Lightbulbs make great current limiters and I like to use them instead of resisters on EV inverters to give a visual sign things are working to that point.
And as an E tech I use to plug in repaired TV, audio electronics in a lightbulb in series just in case something isn't right, the light takes all the current, voltage so the smoke doesn't get let out. If it stays on you know you have another problem.

New update available, Solar Assistant - not sure if it's Beta or not - 12-1-21, Joe.
Went from 18 entidities to 24 to Home Assistant. Should see more data in Solar Assistant now, CHECKING NoW
1638443950279.png

Yes, it is a beta release. I am not on the beta program and my solar assistant does not show a update available. (yet)
Thanks for the good news! No doubt the non-beta update will be coming quite soon.

If this gets the system to work so I can monitor it remotely, that would be great! I only wish there was a way to monitor my DIY batteries remotely (I can check them via bluetooth at home).

Home Assistant with MotionEye running, Pi0 with camera pointed at very accurate battery monitor view anywhere with cloud or local Ip, also SA is going to write RS485 for- JBD, Daly, JK, and Sepulos BMS's
1638452306632.png

If this gets the system to work so I can monitor it remotely, that would be great! I only wish there was a way to monitor my DIY batteries remotely (I can check them via bluetooth at home).
As a Solar Assistant user with a Growatt inverter, I am not sure what you're asking ... this is exactly what Solar Assistant does ... allows remote monitoring. It has its own web interface ... yes, it requires a little work to get a Rasp Pi hooked up and reporting but the breadth of inverters supported and Pierre's constant work it is, for me, a no-brainer.

Combined with the fact that I am in the beat program and have been able to remotely change my Growatt inverter settings remotely is another plus. I am hopeful with this current beta patch that the Home Assistant integration is now supported as being able to set up automations for the inverter is going to be a game-changer for me.

Additionally, many BMS's both commercial and DIY versions allow remote monitoring of batteries. There are quite a plethora of choices in that realm.

Anyone have 2 Growatt's on 1 SA pi, is it just a cable from each inverter to the 2 usb2 ports? Thanks Joe.

Anyone have 2 Growatt's on 1 SA pi, is it just a cable from each inverter to the 2 usb2 ports? Thanks Joe.
Not yet ... when I get my second Growatt (no plans yet) I'll let you know.

On a tangent ... I've lost the data from Home Assistant from my SA ... the autodiscovery was working up until a few weeks ago, now I can't get HA to ... get, display, receive (not sure where the issue is) the information over MQTT from my SA.

How are you getting the data into HA and have you had any issues with it?

Not yet ... when I get my second Growatt (no plans yet) I'll let you know.

On a tangent ... I've lost the data from Home Assistant from my SA ... the autodiscovery was working up until a few weeks ago, now I can't get HA to ... get, display, receive (not sure where the issue is) the information over MQTT from my SA.

How are you getting the data into HA and have you had any issues with it?
Ha - Config - devices - Growatt - 1st pic - should show all entities if you have mqtt setup right, 2nd pic - Ha - config - Integrations - Mosquito Broker - configure - reconfigure mqqt - local ip address of SA please hit like if this help, almost to 200 reactions, they seems to not be adding up - owell, Joe.

1638480188250.png

1638480363980.png

Ha - Config - devices - Growatt - 1st pic - should show all entities if you have mqtt setup right, 2nd pic - Ha - config - Integrations - Mosquito Broker - configure - reconfigure mqqt - local ip address of SA please hit like if this help, almost to 200 reactions, they seems to not be adding up - owell, Joe.

View attachment 74238

View attachment 74239
and you do have SA mqtt turned on, below in Pierre pink, haha, Joe.
1638480657804.png

Last edited:
Back