diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

and you do have SA mqtt turned on, below in Pierre pink, haha, Joe.
View attachment 74241
Thanks for the input Joe.

I already have all that done. Or should I say, have previously had it all done and working ... for some reason now, it is not working.

My images are below ...

Any other suggestions? When 'listening' in HA do you output the same topic information I do? Same payload? It seems I'm getting some form of connection but no payload or payload information. Sadly, I'm quite new to MQQT.

It does work if I change my MQTT broker to the IP address of my SA device but then I lose my BMS which connects to the mosquito MQTT broker directly.

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 2.37.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-02 at 2.38.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-02 at 9.54.40 AM.png

New update available, Solar Assistant - not sure if it's Beta or not - 12-1-21, Joe.
Went from 18 entidities to 24 to Home Assistant. Should see more data in Solar Assistant now, CHECKING NoW
1638443950279.png
Can you share the link to the download?
I'm not finding it

Gyll battery Soc calculation is fixed, re-hooked up all 4 and the average Soc is now within 2% of my Battery monitor, Thanks Pierre.
Will let it cycle a couple of days and report back.

1638875767185.png
1638875792755.png

Can only do one per license. I asked Pierre the same question. Bought a second RasberryPI for my next inverter.
Reply from Pierre:

Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 2:58 PM
To: jboykey <jboykey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Solar Assistant 12-2-21

Hi Joseph

A single PI can monitor many inverters as long as the inverters form a single installation (a parallel installation). So one PI per installation/site.

Thanks

Reply from Pierre:

Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 2:58 PM
To: jboykey <jboykey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Solar Assistant 12-2-21

Hi Joseph

A single PI can monitor many inverters as long as the inverters form a single installation (a parallel installation). So one PI per installation/site.

Thanks
That's right you did mention parrallel was one license. I'm going to be running a non parallel different mod inverter.

Hi Damian,
Not good news I'm afraid. I was sent this Growatt as a guaranteed to work replacement for two prior MPPSolar LV5048's that did not work at all out of the box.

The first strike was trying to setup the online monitoring software for the thing which in my own honest estimation their monitoring system is utter trash.
I never got a response from the company even via the app tab where you can report issues.

The phone based app kind of worked but many key metrics measured were returning zero's no matter what I did. Things like amps drawn from the PV array and some voltage measurements were zero. I tried to overlook that.

During the first week even on low power consumption the fans are always running and when my furnace kicks on (+600W) for 1KW total the fans in the Growatt spin up so fast that you can't even hear the furnace running standing next to it and the Growatt 10 feet way. To top it all the Growatt draws 120-150W continuously doing god knows what. I looked at the Gorwatt site and was not surprised that fans are a consumable for this device. Not good.

The final straw was a week later on a sunny day the power went out. I went down to the basement and checked the unit and it was reporting an over voltage fault. I checked the BattleBorn batteries and they were reporting 52V or there about. I restarted everything and 5 minutes later the same alert on the inverter saying there was an over voltage condition. The interesting thing is they do not tell you the magnitude of this over voltage condition ie. 59V, 139V what have you. Seeing as the batteries are LiFePo I had my suspicions that the batteries are not generating an over voltage condition.

I turned everything on again with a multi-meter across the battery terminals. It ran for a couple minutes and the lights went out again with the same alert. I looked at the multimeter and noticed the voltage said 75V which would immediately make the BMS in the battery go into shutdown.

So *in my estimation* the inverter was applying a high voltage to the batteries pushes them into shutdown, the inverter reads back the high voltage that it applied (capacitors) and report that as an over voltage condition. I contacted the vendor who claimed that this is normal even though I have 2 strings of 4 battleborns in parallel. 2p4s.

At this point I'd had enough. 3 inverters from 2 different manufacturers and 3 months of screwing around shipping things back and forth now this after a week of use. I shut everything down and disconnected the Growatt from my plant. I called AltE who shipped me a Solar12K.

The SolarK just works. The monitoring software just works. The fans in the Solark hardly ever run even when it's drawing 3.8Kw from the array charging the batteries. I can hear myself think downstairs in the basement where I have my workshop and don't even notice the SolArk is there.

It has charged my batteries and provided power without a hiccup.

I can also pick up the phone and talk to people at Solark with any questions I have at all. There are no webforms or gatekeepers or shitty online web monitoring software that you get zero support on when you run into problems.

Obviously other peoples experiences may be different to mine but this is my experience. The Solark is way more than I was planning to spend on an inverter but this experience has taught me yet again that you get what you pay for in life. I took a loss on the Growatt because I do not have the strength after all these months of none stop bs to fight anymore. I've moved on.

Hope this help. Pretty sure this wasn't what you were expecting to hear.

Cheers,
Vince
Oh, and the Solark draws about 50W and slightly more when it's providing loads/charging the batteries.
I just took down my Schneider sw4048 and this extremely high noise from the fans of the Growatt spf6000dvm is the worse I have ever heard. I’d I can’t find a solution I’ll also take a loss on it and go back to my Schneider. This noise is unbearable

I like Growatts equipment but really frustrated with their crappy communications methods. I wish they had bluetooth like most other reputable brands. This wifi that you have to go thru their servers to use is for the birds. I don't want anything in my system connected to the net.
This pvkeeper software I'm seeing here sounds intresting. How is that set up? Is it a windows software & does it connect from the growatts usb to a pc's usb & Is there any info on it I can look into more?

I like Growatts equipment but really frustrated with their crappy communications methods. I wish they had bluetooth like most other reputable brands. This wifi that you have to go thru their servers to use is for the birds. I don't want anything in my system connected to the net.
This pvkeeper software I'm seeing here sounds intresting. How is that set up? Is it a windows software & does it connect from the growatts usb to a pc's usb & Is there any info on it I can look into more?
Also interested

PVkeeper is provided in the box with the Growatt inverter on CD. It is a windows program and connects to the inverter with the supplied USB cable. It is for local monitoring only and works reasonably well but not great. I used it for a couple months at first. Newer versions of it are available for download.

That said, Solar Assistant is FAR better, no comparison. This is what I have been using now for quite a while and am very pleased.

I can't seem to get the dongle to work. And, mine didn't come with the CD. So, all I have is the display on the inverter.

Should have been a CD in with the manual, no dongle unless you buy the wifi adapter separately. You can download PVkeeper online.

Should have been a CD in with the manual, no dongle unless you buy the wifi adapter separately. You can download PVkeeper online.
I'll look into the download.
Only received manual, and parallel cables.
No CD.
Thanks for the info.

Edit: I did purchase the dongle separately.

For local communication try grott, here: https://github.com/johanmeijer/grott/wiki/

Back