diy solar

diy solar

More newbie questions

GLC

Solar Enthusiast
Just tell me to shut up when you get tired of the questions. This application is on a home.

1. My batteries charge very quickly where my setup goes to float mode and stops charging, 24 volt system. Seems like I am wasting a lot of free potential energy. What can I do with it? I do not have anything hooked up on the Load Terminal. My solar controller will allow me to program a feed through the load terminal with voltage turn on after a certain point and or time activated circuit. Creative suggestions? Anything with a water heater?

2. Is there a low voltage alarm that can be wired to the batteries to trigger a light or beep, 24 volt system. Setup is in the garage so it beeps in there but want something in the house. Just thinking about night time to let me know before the batteries shuts off and kills the inverter.

3. Guessing someone has a model/item of a good low voltage auto disconnect for 24 volt setup for the batteries.

Ok, so I already got in trouble on another thread with questions. Please if you do not want to help answer them just move on. I am just trying to learn. My questions may actually sound silly to others that have a lot of knowledge on solar. I may or may not use correct terminology, forgive me. I am on other forums where I help answer questions on things that I have knowledge about, rebuilding and tuning engines, hunting, reloading ammo, carpentry work, building decks and shops, metal fences, raising chickens, etc. So on other sites I do try to help others out. So if you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

I am listing my system below to help with getting some information.

4 - 305 watt panels, 41 volt -7.25 amp open circuit, wired 2P/2S producing 4kw +daily
#8 wire to the solar charger
Epever 40 am controller BN series, wired with #6 to the batteries
2-100 amp hour 12 volt Battle born batteries wired in series-24 volt , wired with #2 to inverter
Giandel 24 volt-4000-8000 pure sine wave inverter
Wired to main breaker panel with:
Connecticut Electric 10 Circuit Manual Transfer Switch Kit, Portable Generator for Emergency Use
can handle 4000 watts per side of box total 8000 watts, 10 total circuits

Will be installing a mirrored solar setup like the one above to produce 220 volts to also operate a well pump on one of the dual circuits.

Last edited:
Maybe this is an easier question to answer. Is there a difference when hooking up solar panels when you do series and parallel?
Like 2S/2P vs 2P/2S? Is there a difference?

Maybe this is an easier question to answer. Is there a difference when hooking up solar panels when you do series and parallel?
Like 2S/2P vs 2P/2S? Is there a difference?
Series to increase voltage. Parallel to increase amperage. Wattage=Voltage X Amperage. You can play around the panels you have to have it near the max solar charge controller amp/voltage.

Thank you, i was wondering if it made a difference which you did first in sequence. Either the series or parallel.

Thank you, i was wondering if it made a difference which you did first in sequence. Either the series or parallel.
It comes down to panel being shaded or not. Total powers will be the same.

2P2S : A(1+2) B(3+4) Parallel AB
The above case, any shades on 1 and 2, the output be to the lowest current of the shaded panel. Thus, lower power for the string.

2S2P: A( 1 2 Parallel) B(3 4 Parallel) Series AB
This will give better outcome if some shades on 1 2 or 3 4.

You can check the FAQ section to read more info.

Back