diy solar

diy solar

More than 20kwh of LFP and being code compliant?

On_The_Road

It seems anything over 20kwh of lithium storage makes things complicated....

Planning out a grid tied zero export system....has anyone looked at this code?

They are already more complicated if your jurisdiction has adopted NEC 2020 which says Lithium packs have to be UL listed.

They are already more complicated if your jurisdiction has adopted NEC 2020 which says Lithium packs have to be UL listed.

Buying a UL server rack battery is a whole lot easier than the list of stuff you have to do if you go over 20kwh in IFC :/
Although, the IFC keeps saying stationary batteries...sooooo if you have a server rack setup on wheels - does that mean it's no longer stationary and 1206 doesn't apply?

Last edited:
Buying a UL server rack battery is a whole lot easier than the list of stuff you have to do if you go over 20kwh in IFC :/
Although, the IFC keeps saying stationary batteries...sooooo if you have a server rack setup on wheels - does that mean it's no longer stationary and 1206 doesn't apply?
It's probably considered stationary if it's hooked up to something that's stationary, like a whole house inverter. I suppose you could keep everything on wheels, and hook it up to a generator port. But you aren't allowed to leave those hooked up all the time either.

They got you coming and going.

Are you possibly assuming that server rack batteries don't fall under the regs because of their individual battery capacity? I'm reading it as saying if you have for example five 5kW server rack batteries, you have a 25kW system, and therefore fall under the new regs.

Are you possibly assuming that server rack batteries don't fall under the regs because of their individual battery capacity? I'm reading it as saying if you have for example five 5kW server rack batteries, you have a 25kW system, and therefore fall under the new regs.

No, he was saying in response to ampster that finding a UL listed battery per NEC 2020 is easier than meeting the regulations for a 20kwh setup.

Edit... that's how I interpreted what he was saying.

So, how does this process work? I approach the city with my ideas and see if they will approve it with out consulting the IFC?

Could they come back in say a year and say whoa - we made a mistake - this has to come out?

Wait for server rack batteries to be derated to 5.0kWh, then you can have 20kWh packs. If you follow UL 9540, you should be close to satisfying the fire code.

40 kWh is permitted inside with each rack (not to exceed 20 kWh) separated by at least 3 feet.
80 kWh is permitted in the Garage (again no single rack more than 20 kWh, separated by at least 3 feet).
80 kWh is permitted outside (again no single rack).

Not clearly allowed or disallowed, so up to your local jurisdiction: Each of the above can be combined for a max 200 kWh.

Look for racks that are UL 9540 rated.

We are NEC 2020 here in Florida and I am building my own home and going to be 100% off grid for electricity. I am now seriously contemplating building a shed away from the house specifically to house all of the solar gear.

Back