diy solar

diy solar

Morningstar MPPT TS-60 and Connecting with Ethernet Crossover Cable

Soggy Paws

Hi all,
We've owned our TS-60 for 5 years now, and are quite familiar with its operation. We have the optional Morningstar TS-M-2 Tristar Digital Meter, which gives computer access to detailed settings. It was simple changing settings from our Gel battery setup to LifePO4 settings.

To connect to the TS-60 from my Windows laptop, I have connected the TS-60 by Ethernet cable into a small router with wifi and 4 ethernet ports (but without internet access). I connect my laptop to the router, and use the web interface for viewing what's going on, and to change settngs, I use their MSView software (clunky, but it works).

My problem is, I am trying to access my system (on a boat) from a remote location via internet. My access to the computer via the internet is using VNC (software) on the boat computer and on my home laptop via the internet. The internet access on the boat is a small wifi hotspot with NO ETHERNET PORTS.

If I connect the boat laptop to the router that the TS-60 is connected to (which has no internet access), the wifi-based internet connection stops, and I can't access the boat computer from the internet any more.

The Morningstar documentation says you can connect directly (without using a router) via Ethernet crossover cable, by changing some settings on the Morningstar. However, to do that, I need to change the network settings on the Morningstar. If I get it wrong, once I do that, I'll have to connect via serial port in order to fix it. So I'm trying to make sure I get it right the first time.

Here's a crude diagram of my setup.

Config Network Picture.jpg

Here's the config screen. I tried setting the settings as shown, but I get an error when I try to save it.
Config Network Page.jpg
Here's the error:
Config Network Error.jpg
Any networking people out there? Can I do what I'm trying to do? Would it help to change the Gateway and Primary DNS settings to 192.168.8.1? (even though the TS-60 isn't going thru the router?).
When we move back aboard (very soon), I will eventually have a router with wifi and ethernet ports and internet access, but right now I'm trying to get something working with what I have.
I have all the latest documents from Morningstar. They say it's possible to connect the computer directly to the TS-60 with an Ethernet crossover cable, but they don't say how to do it, setup-wise. I know a little about networking and routers, but not about bridging networks. And if I do the wrong thing, I'll have lost the ability to change the settings without digging out a serial port connector (with serial crossover cable?) and serial-USB converter.
Alternately, if I knew how to "bridge two networks" inside the W7 laptop, maybe I could keep my current hardware config and still access both the boat laptop by internet and still be able to access the TS-60 via the non-internet connected router connection.
(Sorry I know this is complicated and more about computers than solar controllers, but hoping someone here has done it and can point me in the right direction).
Thanks

I realize this is old, but I thought I'd add this for a future audience.
it looks like you're reading page 58 of the manual https://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/operation-manual-tristar-mppt-en.pdf
The manual says the morningstar will get the ip address 192.168.1.253 just as you have entered above.
I believe the issue is that you're configuring our OWN computer with the exact same ip address that the morningstar comes with...so simply change yours to something in the range of 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.252. (for example, 192.168.1.252 should work.) This is bc every member of a network has to have a unique ip. You will then be on the same network and be able to reach the morning star at *it's* address: 192.168.1.253

Or maybe I misunderstand the MSview app and it's that you need to setup a static ip on the Local Area Connection on your laptop and setup a static ip with (for example 192.168.1.252)

And you might need to set the Gateway to the address of the PC (192.168.1.114).

Back