diy solar

diy solar

MorningStar SCC and their (GOOD) tech support

rhino

Solar Wizard
You usually see comments about BAD support so I wanted to mention I had several questions about the TriStar solar charge controller made by Morningstar and was pleased that their support (Pete) got back within a day with detailed answers to my question.

Some of the info that may be of use to others:
Question- Can the temperature sensor be configured to turn off charging if it gets near freezing to prevent damage to a LifePo4 battery bank?

Answer - Not on the 600V controller (Our Prostar and Prostar MPPT have this functionality. As will our 200V controller that is targeted for Dec. 2021). Again you could incorporate our relay driver to monitor the Battery Temperature being reported by the 600V controller, and program the relay driver to control a relay to make/break the solar input connection.

You can however turn the charge controller off over ethernet if you can program something to do that communication.

Also sounds like they are working on their own BMS that can communicate directly with their charge controllers but isn't going to be available for a long time yet.

So I was impressed by MorningStar support.

I haven't dealt with them in a while but when I did they were fantastic. Very fast response. They even shipped me a new controller at one point because my problem was odd and they couldn't resolve it. Turned out it wasn't the controller and the problem was resolved because they stuck right with it.

Back