diy solar

diy solar

Motorhome with LG Neon R 440W

I’m excited for you mate, i’ve gone for 1x 100/50 for my 4 330w trina’s. I’m still tossing if i’ll wire them in series parallel or just parallel. I can always play with the setup after in terms of the wiring.

So far from my limited testing (on an AC200P in the RV) there hasn’t been any major shading issues. The performance has been really good even in winter. I also prefer not to have a huge bunch of wires coming down from the roof if i’m honest (i’ve got two charge controllers one for the front flex panels)

However I’m sure your multiple charge controller setup is going to be the best in terms of pure performance

I was going to use larger panels like you but didn’t want the panels overhanging the side of the GMC and spoil the looks. Are you concerned about this? not say they will spoil them but they are about 8 inches wider than mine i think
I am still considering the overall length of the panels the 440W is a 6x11 = 75¼" panel and the 395W is a 6x10 68½" panel. The 75¼ is still narrower than the outside of my awnings, however the awnings will be 8" - 12" below the panels due to the curve of the roof and placement of vents.

I am still considering the overall length of the panels the 440W is a 6x11 = 75¼" panel and the 395W is a 6x10 68½" panel. The 75¼ is still narrower than the outside of my awnings, however the awnings will be 8" - 12" below the panels due to the curve of the roof and placement of vents.
The 395s might be a good option, still loads of power and will look allot better. The curve on the roof is pretty intense so it will stand out allot

The 395s might be a good option, still loads of power and will look allot better. The curve on the roof is pretty intense so it will stand out allot
It might depend on which panels the local distributor carries.... seems like they run about $1/Watt

Checked with my local distributor and they only have the 440W panels

I'm building a similar system with 5 x 440Watts LG Panels (same LG440QAC) and just checked from LG specs the panel has 3 diodes, so it should be split into 3 sections and if a panel is shaded it will be bypassed, so I'm planning on going all in series for my setup this way I can go with a single MPPT and fewer cables.

I'm building a similar system with 5 x 440Watts LG Panels (same LG440QAC) and just checked from LG specs the panel has 3 diodes, so it should be split into 3 sections and if a panel is shaded it will be bypassed, so I'm planning on going all in series for my setup this way I can go with a single MPPT and fewer cables.
Take a look at the Victron site for their calculator for the MPPT .... I finally decided it was cheaper to go with 4 100/30 than 1 or 2 Charge controllers.

Take a look at the Victron site for their calculator for the MPPT .... I finally decided it was cheaper to go with 4 100/30 than 1 or 2 Charge controllers.
Yes, it's cheaper to get 5 SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 than 1 250/70 however would that be the most efficient way (consider that they all have a small loss to operate) ? Lots of wiring and space needed also. I really need to save the space.

Also consider that you should sync the charge controllers to ensure they are putting out the same state of charge, the best way for that is to use the VE.Can otherwise you will need VE.Direct from each, looks like it might be possible but can be tricky with 5 devices.

Also consider that you should sync the charge controllers to ensure they are putting out the same state of charge, the best way for that is to use the VE.Can otherwise you will need VE.Direct from each, looks like it might be possible but can be tricky with 5 devices.
I have the Cerbo GX, so they will all be connected and be insync.

Yes, it's cheaper to get 5 SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 than 1 250/70 however would that be the most efficient way (consider that they all have a small loss to operate) ? Lots of wiring and space needed also. I really need to save the space.
I don't think the operational losses in multiple units is an issue as much as multiple panels with one charge controller. If there is any shading, the entire array is reduced to the lowest panel as far as I understand.
If each panel is 400W and 40V so basically 10A@40V = 400W and there are 5 series panels, you get 2000W, 10A @ 200V input and 167A @ 12V output. However, in series if one panel is slightly shaded and lets say 30V @ 7.5A while the others are 40V@10A, my understanding is that the array would produce 190V x 7.5A = 1425W input and 119A output @12V, a 29% reduction. If individual charge controllers, (10A x 40V x 4panels) + (7.5A x 30V) = 1600W + 225W = 1825W input and 152A @12V, about a 9% reduction.

With a 250/70 are you looking at 24V system? O, but wait, you sad 5 panels in series, that would be ~205V input, but output for 2200W is 183A @12V and 92A @24V maximum output of the 250/70 is 70A

Back