diy solar

diy solar

Mounting components in a greenhouse?

scier

How do folks mount stuff inside (or outside?) a greenhouse? I have a box for the battery, but it's a very drippy, splash-prone environment, and I'm not sure the best way to protect the charge controller, inverter, fuses, etc. We considered mounting everything (except the battery) to plywood and then putting that inside a large Tupperware-style bin (or freestanding plastic cabinet) with holes cut in the sides for ventilation and wires, but I'm not sure that'd be sufficient airflow or even whether plastic is a good idea. We were also considering just mounting a plywood sheet below one of the wooden counter/shelves we have lining the walls and using a sloped piece of metal as a "roof" to divert drips, but not sure whether that'd be sufficient splash-protection. What do people generally do in this sort of environment?

That is a tough one. I'd be reluctant to expose the electronics to the humidity and then it is pretty warm. If you do mount it inside it will need to be in a sealed box but then there is the heat. I think I'd take a good look at mounting it outside in its own little doghouse.

Always put electric gear in a dry relatively cool location. For a greenhouse install, build a box/shed outside. Run power and sensor conduits from power box/shed to the greenhouse. Most off the shelf electronics will fail in a hot moist drippy environment that you described. There are expensive water proof climatized enclosures and water resistant electrical products but not worth the money.

Okay, I can do a box outside — the idea of an actual doghouse is an interesting one, or maybe something like this. Would you put the battery in the same box, or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
Okay, I can do a box outside — the idea of an actual doghouse is an interesting one, or maybe something like this. Would you put the battery in the same box, or is that a bad idea?
If it is a lead-acid battery no and your dog house is pretty small and plastic does not weather well cracks and turns brittle.

It's a sealed lead-acid (AGM) battery. I'd read it doesn't need to be in a ventilated area; what are the guidelines for where I can and can't store it? Is it the enclosed space that would be a problem, or the electronics in the same enclosure?

It's a sealed lead-acid (AGM) battery. I'd read it doesn't need to be in a ventilated area; what are the guidelines for where I can and can't store it? Is it the enclosed space that would be a problem, or the electronics in the same enclosure?
Any battery in the same small enclosure is not a good idea if the battery fails your electronics are toast most of the time and if the electronics fail your battery is toast.

I wouldn't worry about having a SLA/AGM in the same space. In theory if you seriously overcharge the battery it could vent some acidic gas. It wouldn't keep me up at night.

I wouldn't worry about having a SLA/AGM in the same space. In theory if you seriously overcharge the battery it could vent some acidic gas. It wouldn't keep me up at night.
Then your bedroom would be a good place to put it.LOL

Hardly an apt analogy. Risking some electronics VS a life. However, many folks have SLA/AGMs in their bedroom. CPAP machines, UPS etc.. I'd still sleep just fine.

Back