diy solar

diy solar

Mounting equipment from Alibaba vendor Art Sign Energy

da9el84

Hey guys,

As part of my journey for selfsustainability I am leaving no stone unturned and today I wanted to share a bit about my experiences looking at mounting equipment for my upcoming 108 panel array, which is part roof mounted with 44 panels and ground mounted with 64 panels.

I've previously asked for recommendations for an inverter for my setup, but today I am here to give back.

Note: before going any further, caveat: I have not received the goods yet, this is merely my experience up until now.

I am located in Denmark, where solar is a very hot topic right now and I feel as a consequence of that, vendors have dialed prices up just a few notches. I've contacted about 30 different vendors both in DK and abroad and have settled on the supplier https://www.artsignenergy.com/ who's been on Alibaba for 9 years and have had excellent communications throughout.

My contact person through Alibaba has been Celine: celine@artsign.net.cn
She's been great in responding to all questions, supplying updates and changes to the installation when we decided to have more separate ground mounts for our arrays. Additionally we've been supplied with drawings and schematics of our particular setup, along with all parts are manufactured to our specs. Something no EU supplier did.

Their prices, including shipping to Denmark for the whole package is about the same price as the cheapest vendor in Denmark - for the roof mount alone. Suffice to say, a good chunk of money to be saved, even with import taxes and hiring a company to take delivery in the nearest port and deliver to the installation address. It's nearly half the price of the cheapest competitor I could find in Europe - and that's even with having used my own company to get into wholeseller companies to get the best prices.

If you decide to go this route for yourself, make sure that you are aware that you need a freight forwarder to handle the shipment when it arrives from China, handle taxes and deliver to your doorstep - this is not included in the service provided by Art Sign Energy. For me I used a company in Denmark called
fairplay-shipping.dk which added a few hundred USD to the price, your experience may vary.
For any danes listening in, I spoke to Ferhan who was quick and competent in his answers: fs@fairplay-shipping.dk
And for anyone doing this, the HS code is 8302490099

In summary, I received better customer service, faster response time, custom work to my specific case, along with drawings and schematics that can be used in application for municipal approval AND everything was cheaper. If everything turns out like I am hoping, I will have saved about a month salary for an adult in Denmark along with having got a better solution overall, the only negative being shipping time, but not much can be done here.

I will update this once I received my mounts.

P.S. If you decide to reach out to Celine, make sure to let her know I sent you guys, I think she'll appreciate that. Full disclosure, I am getting no kickback or anything from doing this, just here sharing my honest opinion.

Update 27th of July:
Warning
, I've just been served with an additional 651USD surcharge(effectively doubling my shipping costs from Artsign's original quote) for co-loading by Artsign's forwarder.
Make sure if you go through with this that your importer handles all the transport, all the way from the factory, then there shouldn't be an issue like this.

I've reached out to Artsign to ask why this was never mentioned in our communications.

Update 29th of July:
The 651USD charge was credited and I was issued another 761USD charge... Artsign has reached out to the co-loader and the charge is correct and needs to be paid by me. They apologize for not informing me of this and offers a 1% discount on my next purchase.
So if you go this route, make sure that your importer handles the full freight, from factory to your doorstep, then these extra charges can be avoided.

Update 1st of September:
Everything arrived in good order, no shipping damages and everything was there.

Update 11th of October:

Everything is installed now and I am very pleased with the quality of the gear.

1665479659524.png

1665479613606.png

1665479733874.png

1665479625977.png

1665479636215.png

1665479645067.png

Last edited:
Did you receive the goods ? and if you can give any feedback after 2 months now ?

Did you receive the goods ? and if you can give any feedback after 2 months now ?
Still haven't received it yet. It was produced in the time they said, but shipping was delayed, the first slot we got for the container was redirected because of a ship that was placed on hold by customs due to some issues with copyright infringements as I understood it, so there was an almost 2 week delay on getting it shipped. It's almost in Amsterdam now, then it's on to Sweden and then the final stretch to Denmark :p Quite the journey, but at least the freight is very cheap compared to airfreight.
We still haven't solved our inverter selection, so the wait was ok, for others that need it now might find that a local solution is better for them.

Still haven't received it yet. It was produced in the time they said, but shipping was delayed, the first slot we got for the container was redirected because of a ship that was placed on hold by customs due to some issues with copyright infringements as I understood it, so there was an almost 2 week delay on getting it shipped. It's almost in Amsterdam now, then it's on to Sweden and then the final stretch to Denmark :p Quite the journey, but at least the freight is very cheap compared to airfreight.
We still haven't solved our inverter selection, so the wait was ok, for others that need it now might find that a local solution is better for them.
If something goes wrong, will you have still have recourse with your credit card company 100 days after you place the order?

I haven’t bought racking yet. Can you order from China that will be approved in the USA? Like UL certified?

If something goes wrong, will you have still have recourse with your credit card company 100 days after you place the order?
Not sure, but Alibaba has some buyer protection as well. Same as Aliexpress which I have been forced to use a few times, and it's been ok so far.

Warning, I've just been served with an additional 651USD surcharge(effectively doubling my shipping costs from Artsign's original quote) for co-loading by Artsign's forwarder.
Make sure if you go through with this that your importer handles all the transport, all the way from the factory, then there shouldn't be an issue like this.

I've reached out to Artsign to ask why this was never mentioned in our communications.

Warning, I've just been served with an additional 651USD surcharge(effectively doubling my shipping costs from Artsign's original quote) for co-loading by Artsign's forwarder.

When enquiring about shipping, you want "shipped DDP"

When enquiring about shipping, you want "shipped DDP"

Yeah, I talked to my importer and he says he could have shipped from their factory all the way to my door without these extra charges.

Absolute bullshit that I wasn't informed about this and quite honestly, it pisses me right off. When the bill of lading came in, I even enquired about this extra company that was mentioned as receiver and was just told that this was part of the forward, a local agent. Nothing mentioned about extra charges...

Last edited:
Update: got the first invoice from the co-loader credited and received a new one, 110USD more expensive. Artsign says they are trying to work with the forwarder on this.... ?

I got an apology that they forgot to mention the additional charges when CIF terms are applied and I can get a 1% discount on my next order.

Bottom line: if you go this route, make sure that your importer handles the entire freight from their factory and make sure you get their offer in writing before comitting.

I got an apology that they forgot to mention the additional charges when CIF terms are applied and I can get a 1% discount on my next order.

Bottom line: if you go this route, make sure that your importer handles the entire freight from their factory and make sure you get their offer in writing before comitting.

Yep. Easy mode is "how much for shipping DDP?"

I finally got my gear!

It seems like really high quality. The feet for the ground mount is preassembled and everything seems heavy duty and good quality - having never had actual mounting gear for solar cells in my hands.

Now for mounting! :D

1662030178949.png

I finally got my gear!

It seems like really high quality. The feet for the ground mount is preassembled and everything seems heavy duty and good quality - having never had actual mounting gear for solar cells in my hands.

Now for mounting! :D
Please keep us posted on your install!

Very curious about your experience!

Please keep us posted on your install!

Very curious about your experience!
Install so far has been great, we've completed the roof installation and part 1 of the ground mount(2 more to go :D)

Everything is high quality and I am very happy with it. Everything fits together very nicely and we even made a mistake on one of the concrete blocks distance to the next, we placed it a little further away than it should be, but it was no issue correcting this mistake with the kit because everything is adjustable.

1664383891587.png

1664383918507.png

1664383963372.png

1664383843055.png

Two sections, ground and roof mount, with 108 panels total? Impressive.
It's actually 3 separate ground mounts, of which the first has been completed today(still need to do wiring etc) but the roof mount is up and running our barn and workshop in off-grid mode until our utility provider has processed our solar registration.

I plan on doing a ground mount awning. Just curious, pros and cons of Landscape vs. Portrait layout for panels.

I plan on doing a ground mount awning. Just curious, pros and cons of Landscape vs. Portrait layout for panels.
Landscape I could do 2 panels in height with 35 degree pitch without needing extra equipment for mounting. We also didn't want the arrays to have too much height. Other than that, I don't think there's any :)

Back