diy solar

diy solar

Mounting options for system if I want it semi-mobile

metalheaddoc

Does anyone have creative mounting options for system components? I want my system to me semi-mobile. Not talking about going camping, but more moving it around the house or basement storage area. I am envisioning multiple SLA batteries in addition to charge controller and inverter. Would you use something like a utility cart and put the batteries in the bottom shelf and mount the charge controller and inverter somehow on the top shelf?

There's a few setups on hand trucks on YouTube

Multiple SLA batteries of what size? I have 4 100ah 12v agm and even on a hand cart that's close to a couple hundred pounds and not something you would want to move around. The capacity is really poor for sla and the weight is ridiculous.
I hope you aren't talking about stairs when you say house and basement.
I wouldn't buy anything other than lipo for mobile use even with a cart.

ah poop. I see what you mean. Multiple SLA batteries (I was thinking 100ah) is going to be ridiculously heavy and not mobile unless I am looking for a glute workout. I guess I gotta go back to the drawing board. This is a non-specific first time DIY solar project and I wanted to keep it cheap with SLA batteries. After watching Will's video about a beginner 400w system, I thought I could build something like that but I didn't take into account the beastly weight of multiple SLA batteries.

Thanks for the replies.

A single 12v200ah lipo is about equal to the four sla in capacity and weighs around 50lbs, 1/4 the weight and longer lifespan, cost is around $600, which is about or close to what four good sla 100ah would cost. Two 12v 100ah lipo would cost a little more if you need a 24v system. I use four 12v200ah and a growatt 24v all in one inverter charger but that would be back to over 200lbs even with lipo.

want my system to me semi-mobile. Not talking about going camping, but more moving it around the house or basement storage
So if you are not planning to use 12VDC, but will be using 120VAC, the easiest way to move power around is with wires.

A 2
00Ah LiFePo battery for $600 does make some sense and cents. Plus you can keep it inside where I won’t freeze and run wire for the solar input, and run wire to possible use-points without interacting with your grid distribution panel. Of course you can spin off a few circuits to a subpanel and use something like this and have an immediately available system for <$1500

There are all types of hand carts. I can have one that will roll with a many hundreds pounds of stuff. It can't do stairs, but it will fit through a standard door. I have another that is comfortable with 300 pounds that can be used on stairs. It does work best with a helper, but it gets by with just me.
100 amp hour SLA doesn't weigh that much. I have two six volt GC2 wet cell batteries configured as 12 volts 230 amp hour. Each weighs 62 pounds, that is less than 130 pounds with cables and fuses for both. I bet you can do the whole thing for less than 150 pounds with more than 100 amp hour.

Back