diy solar

diy solar

Mounting panels on top of corrugated polycarbonate roofing

Sol Invictus

I'm a solar newb, but am finalizing details of a nine panel system and have most things worked out except how to install the panels. I found some information on mounting on corrugated metal roofs, but couldn't find anything on corrugated plastic.

I'm planning on installing a 3x3 panel array on top of a covered pavilion. The structure is wood framed with a transparent polycarbonate roof. There are 2x6 joists 2' on center running perpendicular to 2x4 purlins that are also 2' on center. Effectively, there's a 2' x 2' grid of wood framing available to fasten to underneath the panels.

Does anyone have recommendations for a cost effective means of mounting 9 65"x39" panels? The spacing doesn't work to support both edges. I'm not opposed to adding additional wood framing from underneath if need be. We live in New Orleans, so hurricanes are a concern, though the area is relatively protected from wind. There isn't the heat buildup there would be with a metal roof, so keeping a low profile mount would help to minimize uplift potential.

I've looked at some options that may work, but each have some drawbacks. So far, I've considered:
Z Brackets like Renogy's. The width of the base looks like it will barely fit in the valleys of the corrugation. This locks the orientation I'd be mounting these to the short sides of the panels, since I plan to install the panels "landscape" on the roof.

SnapNRack's Corrugated Straddle Block are designed for metal roofs and straddle the peaks. These don't have the same issue with orientation as the L foot can rotate, but with 4 per panel would be over $300. This is more than I'd like to spend if I can avoid it.

S-5!'s VersaBracket 47 might be the forerunner of what I've found so far. It's as wide as the valley, but it looks like a panel can be mounted on them in either orientation.

Any thoughts on the above options, or something else I should be considering? I feel like there's a hardware store solution that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance if you've read this far, and apologies for the verbosity!

Attachments

• 20210408_102811_HDR.jpg
    20210408_102811_HDR.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220207_180634866.jpg
    20220207_180634866.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 35
I'm looking to do the same thing. I have polycarbonate corrugated roof panels on top of my backyard roof. I'm looking to install some solar panels, and I'm researching the best way to attach them to those roof panels. I like the corrugated straddle block option because it stays on to top of the ridges and I feel like that would help keep water out. Curious to see which option you went with and how that worked out for you.

Thanks.

I'm looking to do the same thing. I have polycarbonate corrugated roof panels on top of my backyard roof. I'm looking to install some solar panels, and I'm researching the best way to attach them to those roof panels. I like the corrugated straddle block option because it stays on to top of the ridges and I feel like that would help keep water out. Curious to see which option you went with and how that worked out for you.

Thanks.
After much thought on how to mount on these panels, the project manager (my wife) informed me that we'd lose too much sunlight on the covered space underneath these. We ended up mounting on the shingled roof of the house.

Back