diy solar

diy solar

Mounting Panels To Metal Garage Roof

gazcallyt

Evening Guys,

I have two JA Solar 495w panels that I would like to mount in portrait, tilted at the optimum angle to a metal garage roof, I have been in touch with loads of off the shelf suppliers for various options, all coming in more than the panel itself.
Anybody got any ideas or point me in the general direction to source say a diy kit, seen lots of triangles out there, and I aint afraid of using a welder.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Gaz

If your budget allows, well actually I guess if your controller allows, I have found it to be much cheaper to mount fixed and just add more panels. Then you can just use standard off the shelf mounting options.

For my own workshop, I just made a welded triangular frame out of steel unistruts, and bolted the panels to it. In terms of scaling, I simply drew out a paper diagram of where the sun would be and drew a to-scale diagram with 1mm=1inch. The number of mm told me how long to cut each unistrut. The unistruts were painted with Rustoleum to prevent galvanic corrosion between the steel frame and the aluminum panels.

After positioning it up on the roof, I simply bolted it down with extra-long roofing screws, and lead the solar leads off the roof in plastic conduit.

Cheers Guys, unistrut seem the way to go, I am in the UK, will see if I can source them or something similar.

Cheers for the input.

Gaz

Back