diy solar

diy solar

Mounting solar array on Pole barn with purlins.

Babelfish2001

Ok, I am installing my array on a 40X60 pole barn. This is a 21 panel array. The building construction has trusses 12' apart with purlins running horizontal connecting the trusses 24" oc. My plan is to run the panels in landscape and running the ironridge XR-100 rails vertically up/down the roof. I am planning on 3 rows and 7 columns. So far, all of the Ironridge documentaion shows the rails running horizontally accross the roof. I'm worried about panel spacing and making sure I hit the roof structure. That's why I am running the rails up/down the roof vs horizontal. Also this is a metal roof over OSB decking and I am using S-5! solar foot for holding the rails.

So, the question is, is anyone away of any documentation showing my layout? I've seen pictures of installed systems, just no drawings...

Thanks,
Ryan

Not quite sure what you are asking ... if you want a drawing of of your layout can't you just, erm, draw one? I'm probably missing something fundamental. I'm not the shiniest tool in the tool box.

I was wondering this exact question (I think).

Phrased differently: most install documentation implies a horizontal rack system. If you have purlins in the roof that run horizontally, as you might in say a barn, it may be harder to run a horizontal system. Assuming you don't do something like the s-5 ribbracket but instead need to connect into the horizontal purlins (instead of rafters/trusses), does it make sense to do this vertically?

Are there any specific concerns/documentation that have to do with this vertical racking approach instead of the more common horizontal racking?

Back