diy solar

diy solar

Mounting solar panels in apartment window

SolarSam2021

I am looking for a way to mount solar panels in a 2nd floor apartment window. They will only be there for emergencies, and not installed all the time.
  • Multiple posters have warned against solar through glass, and I can confirm that the power is reduced to the point where you barely get anything. So the panels will have to be outside of the window
  • There is no ledge I can put the panels on, so they will need to be held up somehow
  • I have 3 100W panels which are about 15 lbs each. I need to connect them in series to meet the minimum voltage for the charge controller
Since this is something intended for emergencies, I just need something that can hold the panels up safely, while being outside of the window.

Thank you for your help!

Sam

What kind of window? Sliding up and down, sliding left or right? What kind of alteration would you be able to make on the outer apartment wall? Do you have the requirement that the window will need to remain closed while the panels are outside?

Any kind of shading on the panels will be very determental. This means no strings/cables holding the frame that cross over the sunward side.

Back when I was first starting out, I made the most rinky-dink solar frames out of sheetrock edging. It's almost paper thin, and you can bend it with bare hands, but when put together in a truss configuration, I made frames that held up for 5 years.

If you can screw two eye-loops into the outside wall just below the window, you could suspend a SR edging solar frame that hooks into the eye-loops. You then run the wire through the window, and shut it almost closed.

Of course, the whole array frame would have to be dimensioned so it could pass through the open window.

I have 3 100W panels which are about 15 lbs each. I need to connect them in series to meet the minimum voltage for the charge controller
if these are '12v' panels with a 18-24Voc and your load is small there are other methods to use if you can not get enough voltage for your CC.
I do have a 12/24v dual usb adapter that I have on my camping board between the panels and charge controller

The three panels in // behind the window maybe enough for a phone.

@MichaelK The windows slide left/right. I wouldn't be able to make any significant modifications to the wall - I was originally thinking of something that would hook onto the inside, or hang from something like amsteel blue (or paracord if I can deal with the abrasion). The windows don't have to be closed, though it would be preferable to keep out bugs of course.

I like your idea of the eye loops - that would be a small enough modification that it would be acceptable for the building. How heavy is the SR edging solar frame you mentioned? Is this something that comes as a kit, or something you built yourself? Thanks!

@BigCharlie Those look really neat! Do you know if they can be used with left/right sliding windows, or only for up/down?

@Bluedog225 Thank you, that's definitely something to watch out for - it would be 45 lbs for just the panels plus any mounting equipment.

@sunshine I actually tried putting the panels behind the window. The voltage is high enough for the charge controller, but I ended up with maybe 15W total out of the 3 100W panels (between the glass and partial shading etc). I was trying to see if I could get a bit more power from the panels in an emergency (as long as I can do it safely). Thanks!

I like your idea of the eye loops - that would be a small enough modification that it would be acceptable for the building. How heavy is the SR edging solar frame you mentioned? Is this something that comes as a kit, or something you built yourself? Thanks!
I modeled my design along the lines of a box-shaped overhead highway sign, triangular in shape, with re-enforcing diagonal truss members every 8" or so. The first one was screwed together with machine screws. The second was welded. They were sturdy enough to survive 8 years on my porch roof.

I phased out 12V years ago, but never bothered to go up on the roof to pull down the panels. Being lazy at heart, I simply disconnected the wiring and left them up there.

Last year, the neighbor down the hill needed panels, so I finally got a ladder and went up to retrieve them. I basically just unbolted the frames from the roof and just lowered the whole assembly down to the ground with a rope. I then loaded it onto the ATV, and drove the whole thing down the hill. Does that give you a sense of their sturdiness? They were very bulky, but easily liftable by a single adult male.

Back