diy solar

diy solar

mounting solar panels on roof

TacoBravo

I have a rolled roof and 4 small 100 watt solar panels. I was thinking I would mount the solar panels onto the roof studs using the mounting brackets that came with my solar panels and fill the drill holes with wet patch before tightening down screws. Then a similar plan with the cable entry box. I might press 2x4 between studs if I need something more to tighten down on to.

But in a lot of the videos I see, they are using some type of rail system to mount solar panels. Is this something I should mount on instead. Are there advantages to them.

Please keep in mind that I have next to no construction or electrical experience. Ron Swanson would laugh at me. So anything to add would be helpful.

Last edited:
You bracket will cut thru the roofing material in a year or 2 .
I would use a 4x4 aluminum with Polyurethane flashing cement and bolt thru to a beam
This will spread the load .

^^^yes
fill the drill holes with wet patch before tightening down screws
That is a terrible idea. “Wet patch” is sortofa emergency use thing. As a roof sealant it’s almost guaranteed to dry out and crack. ? roof leak!

Polyurethane or lexel is a good idea. But as much as I like lexel I’d use polyurethane on a roof versus lexel. Further, avoid silicone like the plague.

Last edited:
I had some Renogy panels mounted on the roof of my shop using Renogy's brackets and I used 3M double sided tape under them then screwed them down with screws I had left over when I built the shop. I had to pry the brackets off the roof with a large screwdriver when I moved the panels. I really didn't even need the screws. And it never leaked. I guess that doesn't help you with rolled roof though.

Attachments

• Old Solar.jpg
    Old Solar.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Old Solar 3.jpg
    Old Solar 3.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Old Solar 4.jpg
    Old Solar 4.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 19
Back