diy solar

diy solar

Mounting solar panels on travel trailer roof ?

jimare

Going to mount my 4 - 100 watt panels on my roof. Email the manufacture to find the roof truss layout, they said no trusses in the roof just styrofoam with a 1/4" of plywood wood on top and plastic on the inside laminated together. Using the self tapping screws though the 1/4" plywood and dicor worry's me that they will come lose. Thinking of using Plastic Expansion Wall Anchors, that say they hold 149 lbs each. My other thought was you are relaying on the glue that is used to laminate the roof together and will this hold up. I'm wondering on what you think should I be worried about mounting them on the roof and if any ones got any other way to mount them.

Thanks for the help

Going to mount my 4 - 100 watt panels on my roof. Email the manufacture to find the roof truss layout, they said no trusses in the roof just styrofoam with a 1/4" of plywood wood on top and plastic on the inside laminated together. Using the self tapping screws though the 1/4" plywood and dicor worry's me that they will come lose. Thinking of using Plastic Expansion Wall Anchors, that say they hold 149 lbs each. My other thought was you are relaying on the glue that is used to laminate the roof together and will this hold up. I'm wondering on what you think should I be worried about mounting them on the roof and if any ones got any other way to mount them.

Thanks for the help
I think I would use one of these instead....I used the well nuts but if I knew about the other I would have used them...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-174803.png
    Screenshot_20210603-174803.png
    532.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210603-174840.png
    Screenshot_20210603-174840.png
    726.9 KB · Views: 15
I would use four 1/4 or six to eight 10-24 screws per panel, going all the way through the roof, with large fender washers on both sides!

I would use four 1/4 or six to eight 10-24 screws per panel, going all the way through the roof, with large fender washers on both sides!
Not sure how that would work seeing as its a 4" laminate roof....then what are you going to do with big washers on the ceiling ? Just kind of thinking out loud...lol...?

Yes walk on roof, rockwood mini lite that is 2 years old and the front and back walls have already started to de laminate, so using the expansion nuts makes me a little nervous.

Yes walk on roof, rockwood mini lite that is 2 years old and the front and back walls have already started to de laminate, so using the expansion nuts makes me a little nervous.
Usually when you find delaminated walls (sp) its from water damage all it takes is a hair line crack....mine is a 2015 and looks brand new...but I inspect it and caulk every 6 months..lol

Yea, I got the lemon, it has probably 20 repairs on the roof chalk in its first two years, I go up there every 2 to 3 weeks and check it. So far the roof seems to not be coming apart. Thanks for your help.

Use 3M VHB tape under the feet of every mounting bracket and then self tapping screws into the plywood. Dicor sealant all around everything. The VHB tape would *almost* hold the panels down at 70 mph by itself (it's incredibly sticky stuff) and with the addition of 2 screws in each bracket (8 total per panel) you'll have no problems. 100 watt panels are no problem - Now if you were mounting 340 or 400 watt panels, it would be another matter - You'd need to use more than 4 brackets

I used this method on the roof of my Sprinter Motor Home, which has a roof exactly as you described - 1/4 ply over 5 inches of foam. I use the VHB tape under everything I mount on the roof

Don

Needs to be bolted down, Adhesive tape, glue, self tappers or any other solution that doesn't give the assurance of bolting down to a solid base isn't suitable.
Even large washers on a plywood, foam, plastic structure may not be sufficient and will need further reinforcement such as steel or aluminium plating underneath.

Needs to be bolted down, Adhesive tape, glue, self tappers or any other solution that doesn't give the assurance of bolting down to a solid base isn't suitable.
If that was true, very few travel trailers or motor homes could benefit from solar. I'll be sure to let you know when mine blow away, but don't hold your breath

Back