diy solar

diy solar

Moving circuits from main to sub panel 40’ away

Rosstafarian

Good morning.
I’m wiring up my “solar shed”. Creating a sub-panel for critical loads.
Sub panel is 40’ away from main.
2x 1.5” pvc conduit under ground to shed in garage.
Mains for 80 amp breaker to inverter in one and spliced leads for circuits in the other.
12awg stranded thnn for spliced leads
3awg for 80amp breaker
Remove neutral from bond at mains and hot from breaker, splice and run to sub panel.
What about the ground? Leave attached/grounded at the main?
Also, plan to use a gutter in shed to go between sub, disconnects, battery and inverter.
Ok to run 80amp feed wires in the gutter with the spliced leads from main to sub panel, or everything else for that matter?
Thank you.

you always bond your neutral and grnd at main panel (or first disconnect from grid incoming)
You do not bond in subpanels...
why did you decide to remove the main panel bonding?

I’m moving critical loads to a sub panel in my solar shed, the inverter will power the sub panel via batteries and solar.
Not sure I understand. Your saying leave the neutrals and the ground from each circuit bonded at the mains and only bring the hot leg over to the sub panel?

I presume there's a transfer switch for grid vs inverter source. I'm not an electrician, but it sounds like you need a switched neutral ground bond at sub, or leave it floating. I think this will depend on your use. Will sub be normally on grid and transfer to inverter during outage, or will it always be on inverter? Curious to see what the certified electricians have to say.

Back