diy solar

diy solar

Moving Company for Shipping LiFePo4

Sanwizard

Solar Wizard
I am currently getting quotes to move to a different house from NY to SC in the US. So far, three different companies said they cannot move "hazardous" goods, with batteries being on the list, along with Gasoline canisters, ammo reloading supplies, Butane, Propane for Barbecues, etc.
Has anyone else run into this issue? I have to move about 60KW of DIY batteries, along with a number of very expensive Military gas cans filled with non-ethenol gas, and a number of backup Propane tanks. Any ideas?

I am currently getting quotes to move to a different house from NY to SC in the US. So far, three different companies said they cannot move "hazardous" goods, with batteries being on the list, along with Gasoline canisters, ammo reloading supplies, Butane, Propane for Barbecues, etc.
Has anyone else run into this issue? I have to move about 60KW of DIY batteries, along with a number of very expensive Military gas cans filled with non-ethenol gas, and a number of backup Propane tanks. Any ideas?
rent a truck and try not to blow yourself up? lol...i cant imagine you finding anyone licensed and insured that will do it cost effectively. for the batteries, a box truck rental will probably do it for you. for the gas cans i would go for a vented/open haul truck (pickup) or something similar. based on my 14kwh battery pack being 2 trips to load into a vehicle (2x 24v batteries in a diy case with handles, 1 trip per battery) i dont forsee yours being too much more than 8 trips, though i don't know how yours are configured or installed.

I ran into the same thing many years ago with cans of paint and a few chemicals, moving from texas to california. I agree with the rent a truck suggestions. At the time I had a small airplane and flew the stuff. I don't think that was a problem with the paint, but in hindsight not such a good idea with the paint thinner and lacquer thinner. I think I'd try to just use up or give away the gasoline and restock at the new place. I'm nervous taking a can of gas home just a few miles from the station. In response to my gas can paranoia, I've been pointed to videos of NATO gas cans subjected to nasty abuse without spilling a drop.

I ran into the same thing many years ago with cans of paint and a few chemicals, moving from texas to california. I agree with the rent a truck suggestions. At the time I had a small airplane and flew the stuff. I don't think that was a problem with the paint, but in hindsight not such a good idea with the paint thinner and lacquer thinner. I think I'd try to just use up or give away the gasoline and restock at the new place. I'm nervous taking a can of gas home just a few miles from the station. In response to my gas can paranoia, I've been pointed to videos of NATO gas cans subjected to nasty abuse without spilling a drop.
Yeah, these are the NATO version Wavian jerry cans. Filling them up in NY where there is almost NO non-Ethenol gas available cost hundreds to fill them up. The gas cost more than the cans, and the cans were $90 each. Freaking NY gas tax sucks.
Oh well. I may just have to empty them into my car over the next month or so.
Rental truck is looking more attractive.

Def agree with the other posters - use the gas and take the batteries in a van or truck yourself. The drive is not so bad, we usually go south via NY -> FL on the 81 and the get on the 77.

Def agree with the other posters - use the gas and take the batteries in a van or truck yourself. The drive is not so bad, we usually go south via NY -> FL on the 81 and the get on the 77.
Sounds like a plan. I may have to sell the propane tanks though, as I am hesitant to carry those together with the Lithium and ammo along with gunpowder and reloading supplies. An accident would not go well. I like the idea of not going through the midtown tunnel, and Baltimore tunnel on Interstate 95.

How many gas cans?
In an accident situation, having a mix of these two alone would make me nuts. Adding propane etc… nope.
Empty is nearly as bad as full by the way.
I would haul them separately…
What is the total list of hazardous items and quantities?

I moved a few months ago and our houses seem to contain similar stuff. I ended up buying a trailer, AND renting a large U-Haul. I loaded the trailer up with all the stuff that goes boom, and my wife drove the U-Haul.

How many gas cans?
In an accident situation, having a mix of these two alone would make me nuts. Adding propane etc… nope.
Empty is nearly as bad as full by the way.
I would haul them separately…
What is the total list of hazardous items and quantities?
Thanks for moving the thread @Supervstech. I need to move seven large DIY batteries totaling around 70KW, close to 1200 pounds, together with all testers, chargers, and tools.
I also have a number of rifles with associated ammo in 50cal cans, and a few pounds of powder for reloading. I also have 8 filled Wavian NATO gas cans for my generator, along with 3 Barbecue size propane tanks(dual fuel), and a bunch of camping butane cans.
None of the moving companies want to even touch the batteries, no less the propane. I appreciate all the comments, as moving large DIY batteries may become a more common need in the future. Based on all the advice, I think I need to just make a few trips in my station wagon using backroads at low speed, no tunnels, and take one item at a time.
I will use the gas and just take the cans, and move the rifles, ammo and powder in the wagon(locked and unloaded). I will save the heavy batteries for a large rental truck for the final trip.
That would be the most cost effective and safest way I think. Thanks for all the advice.

God bless you all, and pray for the world. Its getting biblical out there.

Thanks for moving the thread @Supervstech. I need to move seven large DIY batteries totaling around 70KW, close to 1200 pounds, together with all testers, chargers, and tools.
I also have a number of rifles with associated ammo in 50cal cans, and a few pounds of powder for reloading. I also have 8 filled Wavian NATO gas cans for my generator, along with 3 Barbecue size propane tanks(dual fuel), and a bunch of camping butane cans.
None of the moving companies want to even touch the batteries, no less the propane. I appreciate all the comments, as moving large DIY batteries may become a more common need in the future. Based on all the advice, I think I need to just make a few trips in my station wagon using backroads at low speed, no tunnels, and take one item at a time.
I will use the gas and just take the cans, and move the rifles, ammo and powder in the wagon(locked and unloaded). I will save the heavy batteries for a large rental truck for the final trip.
That would be the most cost effective and safest way I think. Thanks for all the advice.

God bless you all, and pray for the world. Its getting biblical out there.
Figured I would add a quick update. I ended up loading everything into my Outback and Forrester. My son drove the outback, which was riding WAY low with seven batteries and all the reloading stuff, and ammo. I drove the forrester with the Gas, and the rest of the reloading stuff.
Stayed on the back roads.
All the furniture went with the movers.

Figured I would add a quick update. I ended up loading everything into my Outback and Forrester. My son drove the outback, which was riding WAY low with seven batteries and all the reloading stuff, and ammo. I drove the forrester with the Gas, and the rest of the reloading stuff.
Stayed on the back roads.
All the furniture went with the movers.
Sounds like it went well. Good planning probably

Sounds like it went well. Good planning probably
I think there may be a need for a service to move and or dispose of solar batteries, and other combustables. Its interesting that nobody has worked with a moving company yet to start that kind of business yet.
I actually just gave away all my propane tanks, since those were the scariest in an accident. My old neighbors were real happy though, as all four were all brand new( I had a few for generator backup and a barbeque).

I have to move about 60KW of DIY batteries, along with a number of very expensive Military gas cans filled with non-ethenol gas, and a number of backup Propane tanks. Any ideas?

My first suggestion was going to be don't telegraph your intentions over the internet.

rent a truck and try not to blow yourself up?

My second, try not to look like McVeigh to the FBI, who (hopefully?) scans the internet for people broadcasting their intentions.

Third, maybe buy insurance. Property and life.

But all's well that ends well, right?

(We do this on a regular basis in the East Bay.)

And we got RVs with onboard fuel stations, dual propane tanks up front, and Lifepo4 batteries underneath all over the country driving down the road without a care in the world

I want to bring my battery-operated tools to the Philippines. I have been told they cannot be shipped via Balikbayan boxes. Does anybody have any success or problems with the 220/50hz vs 120/60hz cycle for charging?
what does that have to do with balik bayan boxes?

Back