diy solar

diy solar

Moving into a home with solar already

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Hey guys, after almost 2 years of living in the trailer, we are finally ready to move back into a real house. Bonus points, it has solar on it already. A small array of only 10 panels, im guessing 3kw or so. The kicker is the owner had a company install it, and then the company immediately went out of business, so it was never "activated", the realtor says. He says they ended up getting all the equipment and install for free. Good news, it has a huge south facing roof, and could probably fit 12-14kw on it.

My question for you guys, what do you think is required to get it "activated"? I'm guessing call up the power company and tell them to come inspect it?

I snapped some pics of the inverter specs in the garage
20220217_154636.jpg

20220217_154640.jpg

How old is that system? Date code 1805 suggests 2018, month 5? week 5?

UL1741 SA may be required for new activations.

You likely need to contact your local power company.

Congrats on a house without wheels!

Adding power to the system would require a new/more inverter(s) and likely buy-in from the power company...

Perhaps you just need to do your own AC coupled off-grid system that pulls from grid only when needed... :)

How old is that system? Date code 1805 suggests 2018, month 5? week 5?

UL1741 SA may be required for new activations.

You likely need to contact your local power company.

Congrats on a house without wheels!
Yes they said it was installed shortly after the house was built in 2018. Its just been "sitting" apparently.

Thanks! We just put in our offered this morning, so its not technically ours yet, but we're hopeful. Just trying to plan.

Bearing in mind The Sunk Cost Fallacy, decide now when you will abandon the idea of getting this thing to work, if ever.

Also, as to your Investment Horizon, almost everyone moves out after 14 years.

The more uncertainties, the less you should pay for it.

$100 per month promised a year from now is worth less than $100 per month right now. There are WWW calculators to put a value on this, to nearest penny.

The inspectors are probably "in bed" with the realtor, for reasons I have only recently been made aware of.

This could be "the gift that keeps on taking". :(

Last edited:
Back