diy solar

diy solar

MP4 connections for solar confused

moonlitsouls

the truck camper came with a 190w gopower solar panel

I purchased this expansion kit here to add one additional panel (Amazon link below)

Go Power! Overlander-E 190W Solar... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C90ZTDC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

attached here is a photo of the back of this second panel and the wires to connect 542D7A0A-FD33-4857-A6D1-FF3732AD783A.jpeg

Now here is the way the two mp4 connectors run down from the roof of the RV

6474F509-EC77-46A0-B8C2-30016887937F.png

so my question is , do we need a temrinal
That has 4 inputs ?

or will I wire the two panels in parallel and keep the same two inputs through the roof?

I want to make sure I have all the parts I need to instal this panel when I bring it to the guy to mount to the roof , thanks

Last edited:
the truck camper came with a 190w gopower solar panel

I purchased this expansion kit here to add one additional panel (Amazon link below)

Go Power! Overlander-E 190W Solar... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C90ZTDC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

attached here is a photo of the back of this second panel and the wires to connect View attachment 44538

Now here is the way the two mp4 connectors run down from the roof of the RV

View attachment 44539

so my question is , do we need a temrinal
That has 4 inputs ?

or will I wire the two panels in parallel and keep the same two inputs through the roof?

I want to make sure I have all the parts I need to instal this panel when I bring it to the guy to mount to the roof , thanks
Usually regardless of whether the panels are wired in series or parallel and regardless of the number of panels there will always only be two leads positive and negative entering the roof.

Usually regardless of whether the panels are wired in series or parallel and regardless of the number of panels there will always only be two leads positive and negative entering the roof.
Oh ok, that’s good to know. Do you think I need to buy anything else ?

I would not replace the roof connector. You can connect the panels in series if you have a properly rated MPPT controller. Or you can order some MC4 parallel connectors to bring the panels together in parallel before the roof connector.

Are you going series or parallel? What controller do you have?

Does the existing panel have MC4 connectors? If so, adding the new panel in series is easy. Parallel would require two Y adapters.

I would not replace the roof connector. You can connect the panels in series if you have a properly rated MPPT controller. Or you can order some MC4 parallel connectors to bring the panels together in parallel before the roof connector.

Are you going series or parallel? What controller do you have?
Does the existing panel have MC4 connectors? If so, adding the new panel in series is easy. Parallel would require two Y adapters.
I am going to get on the roof tomorrow morning and send photos of exactly what I have. I want to wire in parallel to keep the voltage the same and increase the amps , but open to suggestions

I am going to get on the roof tomorrow morning and send photos of exactly what I have. I want to wire in parallel to keep the voltage the same and increase the amps , but open to suggestions

Series is easier. But it all depends on your solar charge controller. If it can't handle double the volts, then you'll have to go parallel.

With that controller, parallel is probably required. The kit does include the Y connector so that's helpful.

I think that roof entry unit is just a roof gland. It isn't an MC4 connector. So unless the existing panel still has the MC4 connectors on it, he's going to have to cut some wires and add connectors.

It looks like the expansion kit might come with Y connectors which would suggest a parallel connection?
You will need a tool to disconnect the existing MC4 connections.

With a PWM controller you want to stay parallel.

parallel connectors on amazon

Possibly these if they would fit better into the roof connector.

parallel Y connector on amazon
I got these to bring to the install bc they have one day shipping

Solar Connectors 30A Y Branch Parallel Adapter Cable Solar Cable Connectors Solar Panel Connectors Wire Plug Tool Kit for Solar Panel (M/FF, F/MM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8YWYDH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8PBSP9G7TGCCWV19FVKX

With that controller, parallel is probably required. The kit does include the Y connector so that's helpful.

I think that roof entry unit is just a roof gland. It isn't an MC4 connector. So unless the existing panel still has the MC4 connectors on it, he's going to have to cut some wires and add connectors.
Will take a pic in morning

Back