diy solar

diy solar

MPP 3048 LV MK - split phase - first review - 2020 version

BarkingSpider

Carbon Lifeform
Hi, Just received my new MPP 3048 LV MK combo pair from MPP Taiwan. I bought them on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/LV-MK-split-phase-solar-inverter-6000w-48v-120v-230v-160A-mppt-solar-charger/133399295918?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They took a few weeks to arrive, came undamaged. First impression is a very high quality build and a good upgrade cycle of the 2024 / 5048 Models that have been around for a few years.

I installed the included parallel boards and plugged them in to my 54v 15kwh BYD battery and 2kw of solar. They fired up straight away and start charging my battery.

The problems arose when I tried to configure the split phase. The manual is super tiny, with vague instructions and not very clear type. After much frustration I came to realize they had sent me the wrong parallel communication boards, the ones they sent only supported single phase and 3 phase, not 2 phase (120/240 USA style).

In addition, the WatchPower software would not connect to the units, the USB and RS232 interfaces were dead. Im in touch with MPP to get these problems resolved, They returned my initial email last night, but no solutions yet. There is no help on the web as its such a new model and even the manual is not available online yet. I guess the salesman sent me the wrong parallel kit thinking they were all the same.

On the upside, using them as standalone units for now, they work really well. They start my Dewalt table saw ok which has killed many inverters with its big initial power surge, and I pushed it to 2.8kw and it handled it no problems. The surge capability seems to have improved 2 fold over the old 5048 model which it has replaced.

It can start my 8kw generator when the batteries get low and charge them really quickly, and it switches from AC to genny/grid power from battery power in milliseconds, meaning no loss of power to sensitive equipment. The charging rates are really high both from the panels and the grid/generator making these units a bargain compared to buying individual devices. If I can get these initial problems fixed it looks like a real winner. Ill post more when I get some results From MPP and get the 240v working. I charged my BMW i3 with it today on the slow charger at 1.4kw @ 110v and hope to use my 240v 40amp charger as soon as I have the split phase system working.
Joe.

6F5587A7-3CAA-466F-920B-AD2A4074CEAB.jpeg8C46B18B-8FD4-4751-BA3F-587EB928314B.jpegFEC987CF-061F-49C1-B1A7-658974FC177C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I have the same set up and am getting fault codes 80 and 82 when trying to set them up in parallel. How did you determine that you had the wrong parallel board? Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 118403991_602363130462173_6341962644286265915_n.jpg
    118403991_602363130462173_6341962644286265915_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 28
Turned out i had an old version of the firmware that i needed to update, now everything works ok.
Contact customer support for details, they were very helpful.

When you tested whether they could handle the surge from your tools, were they connected to grid/shore power at the time? Or off-grid?

Turned out i had an old version of the firmware that i needed to update, now everything works ok.
Contact customer support for details, they were very helpful.
In updating the firmware, did you have to hook up to a pc/laptop with a usb cable or something of the like?
Or do these units have wifi?

Anyway.... I'm checking them out here https://watts247.com/product/pip-3048lv-mk/
And I do like what I see.
The price, and the fact that it has a built in charge controller is very very tempting.
What almost has me sold (pretty much has me sold) is your statement of it being able to handle the starting surge of your table saw... that is huge for a hf inverter like this!

Last edited:
You need a pc and a usb cable to update the firmware. New units should have the correct firmware installed already.

A key feature for me is the built in AC/DC charger you can connect to an external generator for emergency power.

You need a pc and a usb cable to update the firmware. New units should have the correct firmware installed already.

A key feature for me is the built in AC/DC charger you can connect to an external generator for emergency power.
Hello, Is there a way to limit gen/utility current draw? Like a Power-Assist feature. I have a 2kw generator that would be overwhelmed by the 60a charger alone.

I have PIP-1012LV-MK and I am having problem when it in the battery mode, the output Voltage is fluctuating and so as the cooling fan if the load is <200W, I can see my desk lamp flickering. If I add the load to about 400 ~ 500W then it gets more stable. I bought the unit directly from MPP Solar Taiwan so I cannot get the support from WATT247.
So far the Taiwan customer support is horrible, they only reply my first email and no follow throgh since last week, very disappointed.
Where did you download the lattest firmware? WATT247? I do not see the FW for the 1012LV-MK.

Last edited:
I had a question about this inverter. Will the Main and output power terminals except 6 gauge wire? I was thinking about using 6-gauge wire coming out into my main breaker panel

What's the point in running 6 Gauge wire at 240v ac? 10 gauge is now than sufficient unless you're doing extremely high amps. Look up the many free tables to work out what you need for the length your running. Save the 6 gauge for low voltage dc runs.

What's the point in running 6 Gauge wire at 240v ac? 10 gauge is now than sufficient unless you're doing extremely high amps. Look up the many free tables to work out what you need for the length your running. Save the 6 gauge for low voltage dc runs.
Because it's already pre-wired and I don't want to pull everything apart. Already have a 6-3 so line going to the main breaker from the previous set up

Ok, not sure 6 will fit, but what can work is to heavily tin the end of the stranded wires and file them down to fit. That has worked well for me in the past.

Ok, not sure 6 will fit, but what can work is to heavily tin the end of the stranded wires and file them down to fit. That has worked well for me in the past.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I have the inverter already but it's out at my cabin 132 miles from Vegas. I won't get a chance to get out there till next month to do the build and I should have checked it on the unit unfortunately I can't find anything in the manual about maximum gauge wire size

Hi, Just received my new MPP 3048 LV MK combo pair from MPP Taiwan. I bought them on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/LV-MK-split-phase-solar-inverter-6000w-48v-120v-230v-160A-mppt-solar-charger/133399295918?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They took a few weeks to arrive, came undamaged. First impression is a very high quality build and a good upgrade cycle of the 2024 / 5048 Models that have been around for a few years.

I installed the included parallel boards and plugged them in to my 54v 15kwh BYD battery and 2kw of solar. They fired up straight away and start charging my battery.

The problems arose when I tried to configure the split phase. The manual is super tiny, with vague instructions and not very clear type. After much frustration I came to realize they had sent me the wrong parallel communication boards, the ones they sent only supported single phase and 3 phase, not 2 phase (120/240 USA style).

In addition, the WatchPower software would not connect to the units, the USB and RS232 interfaces were dead. Im in touch with MPP to get these problems resolved, They returned my initial email last night, but no solutions yet. There is no help on the web as its such a new model and even the manual is not available online yet. I guess the salesman sent me the wrong parallel kit thinking they were all the same.

On the upside, using them as standalone units for now, they work really well. They start my Dewalt table saw ok which has killed many inverters with its big initial power surge, and I pushed it to 2.8kw and it handled it no problems. The surge capability seems to have improved 2 fold over the old 5048 model which it has replaced.

It can start my 8kw generator when the batteries get low and charge them really quickly, and it switches from AC to genny/grid power from battery power in milliseconds, meaning no loss of power to sensitive equipment. The charging rates are really high both from the panels and the grid/generator making these units a bargain compared to buying individual devices. If I can get these initial problems fixed it looks like a real winner. Ill post more when I get some results From MPP and get the 240v working. I charged my BMW i3 with it today on the slow charger at 1.4kw @ 110v and hope to use my 240v 40amp charger as soon as I have the split phase system working.
Joe.

View attachment 15230View attachment 15231View attachment 15232
Hey @BarkingSpider , would love to hear an update on your MK system. Can it power solar directly to load without charging and discharging your batteries?

It requires batteries to operate, but if they are working, it appears solar power can go directly to the load, bypassing the batteries.
Hope this helps

Back