diy solar

diy solar

Mpp 3048lv-mk

pjvon

Do you have to run a separate line to the breaker box to get power to the house? I am hooked up and running but only getting power through my output line, not any other part of the house.

I have an mpp 3048lv-mk all in one. The not very good instructions says to just plug it in an outlet and your done, (after, everything is hooked up.) We have done this and the only place we get power from is the output cord from the invertor, nothing sent to the rest of the home. The instructions are lacking for a beginner. Thanks!

Mpp solar just replied to my email. It does need to be hooked to the panel. Thanks for your help!

Ok, I have have read and reread the manual on this unit (mpp 3048lv-mk). I have searched through all materials online that I can find. There are not any instructions on wiring the AC output from the invertor to the breaker box. Does anyone know where these instructions are available?
Thanks for your help!

The inverter has AC out terminals. If they are empty, you have a really nice battery charger.

Currently we have almost no pull on them. The only thing it is running is the inverter and solar panels are charging. We attached the extension cord just like on Will's video. The output is live but that is the only place we are getting power from the inverter. We need to get instructions on how to get the power to feed to the house.
Thanks!

This is where the manual stops. It doesn't say anything about tieing into the breaker box. This may be common sense for some of you but I don't know why the manual wouldn't at least say that. We want to make sure we do it right.
Thanks for any information!

You could get a chain of power strips. That would let you connect a few dozen devices into your extension cord. Another option is Google.

This is where the manual stops. It doesn't say anything about tieing into the breaker box. This may be common sense for some of you but I don't know why the manual wouldn't at least say that. We want to make sure we do it right.
Thanks for any information!

The manually intentionally lacks this. Your MPP inverter is designed and marketed as off-grid.

Will's videos and website are a great help to build a basic system, with an extension cord output. Connecting a whole house is well outside the scope of his instructions, as a beginner should not attempt to tie this into a residential breaker box. The cold responses you are getting here are likely because people aren't sure if you are trolling.

Thank you! I guess it is time to hire an electrician.

Let me save you some time, and potentially some consultation money,

An electrician is going to turn down this work, for several reasons:
1. This is not a grid-tied inverter. It does not supplement power, like those retrofitted into houses by the professionals (SolarCity, etc). It is not possible to connect it to an existing electrical panel - at minimum, you would need a second "off-grid" breaker box.
2. This is an off-grid inverter. Are you in the US? It does not have the regulatory certifications for safety. An electrician risks their license if they installed it.
3. Other technical limitations. For example: This is a 120v single inverter - you need at least 2 for 240v loads in split-phase. Also, a single 3000W inverter is going to be too small to power a whole house.

I don't wish to sound discouraging, but this is complex stuff with a lot of safety concerns. Even for someone with advanced electrical/electronics experience, it is not easy to plan and build a system. It is cool that you found the inspiration to try something like this, and this forum is a good place to acquire more knowledge. That being said, I would recommend you stick the extension cord outlet, as seen in Will's content, to power a couple things directly. If you take notice, all of Will's videos and reviews show these inverters being used off-grid - in a trailer/shed/RV/outdoors.

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. Below is what I sent to MPP Solar Support and their response.

Me:
Hi, I recently purchased a MPP 3048-LV-MK all in one. Just a question about the unit powering my house. The only place I am getting power is at the output A/C. I thought we only have to plug the input into the outlet and it will power the house. Is this wrong?
Thanks,

Response:
You need to connect the unit's AC output to distribution panel then it can provide power to home appliances. Please refer to the below photo. I hope it helps you. Thank you.

Best regards,
Andy Y. ¦ Support Team, MPP Solar Inc.

I know that this unit will not power the house but I was hoping that it will at least cut the bill down some. I do plan on expanding in the future once we figure it all out. They (Mpp) also sent a picture with the response, not sure how to copy it here though. Do you still think that it shouldn't be connected to the panel and they gave me the wrong information?

nblnjnjlbmbckkpj.png

Last edited:
profile_mask2.png

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. Below is what I sent to MPP Solar Support and their response.

Me:
Hi, I recently purchased a MPP 3048-LV-MK all in one. Just a question about the unit powering my house. The only place I am getting power is at the output A/C. I thought we only have to plug the input into the outlet and it will power the house. Is this wrong?
Thanks,

Response:
You need to connect the unit's AC output to distribution panel then it can provide power to home appliances. Please refer to the below photo. I hope it helps you. Thank you.

Best regards,
Andy Y. ¦ Support Team, MPP Solar Inc.

Last edited:
My question was serious (not cold), about Mpp support giving me the wrong information. Anything is possible. I really do appreciate the time you have taken to help answer my questions.
Thanks!

Do you still think that it shouldn't be connected to the panel and they gave me the wrong information?

Correct - the information they gave you does not match the model you have. I am 100% sure that you should NOT proceed.

Where do you live? Their picture of a home electrical system is not accurate for US split-phase system, but the inverter you purchased is for US 110/120V. The diagram shows a single phase 220VAC system, more common internationally. Furthermore, the inverter in the diagram would have to be a hybrid grid-tie model (like LV2424 hybrid), which is not what you have.

I am in the US. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.

Back