diy solar

diy solar

MPP 5048 MK is Online UPS ?

mrzed001

Voice of reason
Hi,

I want to build mostly a UPS (for computers and some home appliance) solution with 280Ah cells (16 pieces, 48V) and MPP Solar inverter (parallel 2 inverter).

I looked on the MPP Solar PIP 5048 MK model (EU):

This is the only MPP inverter where it says:

Transfer Time:

Line mode+Battery mode: 0ms
Inverter+Bypass: 4ms

Anyone uses MK series inverter? It is really like an online (double conversion) UPS where battery always works ?
How much is the energy loss because of this double conversion ?

The other question is about battery. It is always charging the battery? Or flooding it?
Batteries does not like to be charged after full, but because there is power needed in the load side ... so how does it do it?
Discharge 10% and the charge 10% ? Or constant charge ?
Lithium batteries will like it ?

Any info is appreciated :)

Thanks

Hi,

I want to build mostly a UPS (for computers and some home appliance) solution with 280Ah cells (16 pieces, 48V) and MPP Solar inverter (parallel 2 inverter).

I looked on the MPP Solar PIP 5048 MK model (EU):

This is the only MPP inverter where it says:

Transfer Time:
Line mode+Battery mode: 0ms
Inverter+Bypass: 4ms

Anyone uses MK series inverter? It is really like an online (double conversion) UPS where battery always works ?
How much is the energy loss because of this double conversion ?

The other question is about battery. It is always charging the battery? Or flooding it?
Batteries does not like to be charged after full, but because there is power needed in the load side ... so how does it do it?
Discharge 10% and the charge 10% ? Or constant charge ?
Lithium batteries will like it ?

Any info is appreciated :)

Thanks

Will work for your stated use. Even a 20ms switchover is usually fine.

From your manual, starting at page 14:
01 USb option is "UPS" mode. (use utility first, if unavailable, use battery)
05 Program battery type USE
26 set bulk voltage (57.6V)
27 set float voltage (53.6V)
33 Disable battery equalization
34 set equalization to same as float just in case.
35 set to 5 min
37 set to 0

The above settings will ensure the charger properly charges your battery.

I think in USb mode the battery is always connected to both: load and charger ... and the power flows like in the schematic pic (through battery)

ups1.png

The charger (AC/DC) bulk charge (57,6V) the battery full then stop. Its OK so far. Battery relaxes to 53,6V.

Then we have a constant (for example) 1200W load (DC/AC) on the other side (=230V->5A ... 53,6V->22A).
1) Is that discharging the battery (it lets discharge the battery some % then charges it back with bulk 57,6V )?
2) Or charger makes bulk 57,7V * ?A to power the load ? (and charges the battery badly)
3) Or charger makes float 53,6V * the necessary 22A to power the load directly ?
4) Or charger makes float 53,6V * more than 22A (max 5000W means 93A)
+3-4) and because battery is in the same V (when full) so nothing floads into it ?

That is the part that not exactly clear to me. Never had an online ups (only line-interactive), and I try to understand it.

USb mode: "Utility will provide power to the loads as first priority. If Utility energy is unavailable, solar energy and battery provides power the loads"

Utility will power loads and charge the battery properly - bulk, absorption and float as needed. If utility never drops, the batteries will always be in float.

Hi, I have been using a similar system to what youre looking at. I'm using an EA Sun 24v 2.5KWh all in one system and it works a treat.
Solar Panels / Grid charge the battery and my 2 small Servers which run 24/7. I've not experienced any problems when switching from Battery to Grid and the changeover is seamless. I get approximately 27 Hours Runtime when running on batteries alone (2 x 60Ah). When the battery goes too low, the Grid kicks in to charge the battery and there is no interruption to the supply to the hardware.

Hope that info is helpful.

Z

Back