diy solar

diy solar

MPP All-In-One and mixing panels.

Tycoon

I’ve got a MPP 2424LV-MSD and currently have 3 of these iTek panels.
6EBD8B42-75BE-408F-888F-C79CE33CF0A4.jpeg
I was thinking about buying 2-3 of these panels below to add to the array. I am however unsure about mixing the voltages before sending the PV to the MPP. I’d like to be able to use only the MPP vs adding a second SCC. Would be it possible or would I create a hazard or inefficiencies by mixing the two types of panels?
A5BAD289-F06A-4AA7-83DA-9B7F26CC95AD.jpeg

I’m still pretty green when it comes to solar but I’m building a system for my future RV. Any input would be great. Thanks!

The Vmp of those panels is getting to far apart for my likings. If you were to put the strings of each type in parallel I'd recommend putting a blocking diode in series with the lower voltage string so that it doesn't draw power from the higher voltage one.

The MPPT activities of the MPP charger will pull the voltage of the higher string down to the lower one as part of its normal operation. If it determines there is more power available at that lower voltage it will run the higher voltage string off its optimum point. How much that will lower the overall output of your system is a good question. If you can find the datasheets for the panels there will be graphs that let you see the power output of the higher voltage panels when dragged down to the lower point.

If the amp ratings of the panels were closer you could reconfigure things and run with 3 parallel strings of 2 panels - one higher voltage and one lower voltage and side step the voltage issue completely but that's not an option.

Thank you for your input. I figured that was the case. There’s someone selling a bunch of those 190’s for cheap so I may just sell the iTek and use all evergreen solar to get my array up to size.

Back