diy solar

diy solar

MPP Inverter overload question

Solarpump

Greetings- I installed a new MPP solar inverter model 2.2 KW LS to run a 2 HP, 50 Hz, 230 Volts single phase pump and noticed the output power to be around 2500 watts (shown in the inverter display as VI reading) which made the inverter to shut down with error "A17" inverter overload protection. The solar systems is off-grid, battery-less and the inverter is not connected to a generator or any other power source. I lowered the output voltage in the inverter settings to 220 Volts and the inverter worked fine with 2136 Watts which is less the rated 2.2 KW. All other readings in the display are within range: 50Hz, 220 Volts, 9.87 Amps, 370.7 Volts for PV arrays and 2136 Watts. What would cause the output power of the inverter to be so high for a 2HP pump? I expected a 1.5 KW for a 2 HP. The inverter is rated for 3 HP pump and when I connected a 3 HP single phase pump the output power was around 3500 Watts for few seconds before the inverter shut off with the same error code as before. I then connected 1 HP pump and the wattage was 1150 and the inverter worked fine with normal display for current, voltage and Hz. I connected 1.5 HP single phase and the power was 1382 watts ( I have access to different pumps) with normal reading in the display for current, volts and Hz. The solar system operates only the pump and there is, of course, no other load connected to the systems. The system has 11 Trina panels Model TSM-DE19 connected in series with ~17 Amps Impp and ~ 370 Vmpp. I checked the system and wiring for any short or faults and everything looked fine. The only problem I have is that the output power reading in the inverter is higher than the rated load which makes the inverter to shut down or operate near its rated power. Any help is appreciated.

Your pump has startup surge, do you know what it is rated at? The surge can be 3 ~ 7 times the running rate.
Make and Model of the pump?

Your pump has startup surge, do you know what it is rated at? The surge can be 3 ~ 7 times the running rate.
Make and Model of the pump?
I have tried different pumps but I do not know the startup surge of them (in rush current):
1 HP Ebara Model 4N1-24, 50 Hz, 2 poles 230/240 Volts, 6/5.6 Amps. S.F 1, PF 0.96 reads 1150 VI on the display.
2 HP Pedrollo Model 4SR 8/9, 50 HZ, 230/240 volts 1.5 KW reads ~2500 VI on the display
1.5 HP Lenntech (lowara) Model 4GS11, 50 Hz, 230/240 volts, 1.1 KW reads around 1380 VI on the display.

Could it be Service Factor issue being high on all pumps? The output power looks as if it is being calculated by multiplying the output current with the output voltage without any consideration for motor efficiency nor power factor on all pumps. Th inverter has a soft start function and the output power would decrease a little bit after start up but not much.

Last edited:
Back