diy solar

diy solar

mpp lv 5kva-48v not charging from grid

nj_m715

bench testing my 48v all in one. I seem to have most of it figured out but I cant get it to charge from the grid or go into by-pass mode.
it sees the grid, it shows 120v input and it shows the grid symbol on the display.
I tried different charger priority 16 and solar priority 1 in the settings, no change.
charges fine from solar.
what am I missing?
thanks

It could be waiting for a certain soc or even be set to not connect. Id go over the settings and manual.

Go into charger settings and ac input settings amd look for something disables or with annodd threashold.

the only charger priority I see is 16
I tried running it in utility first and in solar and utility

under 16 it says:
If this inverter/charger is working in Battery mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient.

which might be part of the problem, Its not clear if its in battry mode or how to leave battery mode

Last edited:
If its using a code like '16' the manual might say what number to use for the operation mode you are looking for? ;)

Dont be afraid to explore settings. I just wouldnt change any which you are unfamilliar.

thanks, my first post actually includes the manual
I've been using it all day.
16 isn't a code, its the location of the charger settings, as you see in the manual I posted ;)
there are only 4 charger options, I tried them all. more than once.
I've also tried turning it off and back on again.
I don't know if a different setting is causing this, I don't know if I need 240v instead of 120v line in, I don't how to get out of battery mode or if that's even the cause.
I was hoping someone familiar with one of these 48v all in one's might be familiar with the issue or be able to confirm that this is defective charger

Last edited:
Unless you can confirm on your end that you installed amd programmed it per the manual it is very difficult to troubleshoot or even help navigate.

If the machine requires 240v or two legs of power connection then it is very likely that the charger will not work. You should get some kind of telemetry saying there is an issue on the ac line.

Sorry to not be mpp material! Someome on here is. Issues with inverters are going to be common, especially issues with setup and connection. Features and specific firmware aside they all do just about the same thing and have the same rough installation details.

If the wiring is good, you can do a top to bottom settings revision. That fails re-setup from scratch. Once you have been through that and the troubleshoot section of the manual you will be well versed enough to speak with tech support for anything we missed or a mailing label for return or repair.

thanks, I can confirm on my end that I went through the manual step by step and followed what it said per the manual that I posted before I posted
as you can see on page 30 of the manual, it doesn't have much for troubleshooting and doesn't list my issue at all.
I emailed tech support yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back

Can anyone on this thread confirm which software package(s) the LV5048 comes with?

Thats the non-hybrid unit, as described in the first post in this thread.

Does the unit come with the SolarPower software package?
-or-
Only the WatchPower software package?
-or-
Perhaps both?

Thnx.

Somewhere in the setup menus there shod be an indication of what firmware is running. Sorry i can be more help.

Hi.. Thnx.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic....

Perhaps Im not being clear enough.

Im not interested in the firmware version.

I just want to know what software is shipping with the unit.

In other words:

What CD(s) came with the unit--

Does the label on the CD that came with the unit say "Solar Power" or "Watch Power?"

Or maybe there are two CDs, both "Solar Power" and "Watch Power."

The reason Im asking is-- I don't think the 5048 can be controlled (monitored and pref set) by the "Solar Power" software--???

Last edited:
THNX.

Just to wrap-up this off topic bit about the software:

The "SolarPower" software package will NOT monitor/control the LV5048.

Only the "WatchPower" package seems to be available for the LV5048.

I know it may seem obvious/trivial--

But there is limited subset of settable parameters in the "WatchPower" software.

Compare the Software if you need specific functionality:

WatchPower-- https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/WatchPower user manual.pdf

SolarPower-- https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/SolarPower user manual for Hybrid 2KW 3KW Inverter.pdf

for future reference, I got it working.
not sure what it was, took both covers off, tightened everything, squeezed all the connectors and like magic it works. I think a spade was loose, but idk

Back