diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV5048 and LV6548 Only above 0 degrees Celsius?

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
I've been looking at the MPP Solar LV6548 and 5048 for a while now and have been getting some great advice on the forum.

However, I contacted MPP pre-sales with a couple of questions and here was their response:

Both LV5048 and LV6548 are both very good options. The LV5048 is already split phase 120v/240v capable on its own, but the LV6548 needs to have minimum 2 units in parallel to make split phase.

All our inverters are indoor-rating only and ideally needs to operate in an environment >0'C.

This is actually the first I've heard of this and didn't see it in the manual, but might have missed it.

Is this true?? Seems like I've seen some installs on here in areas that go below 0'C.

AJ

Taken from the manual on my LV6548

1607441573874.png

Sometimes temps refer to the range they tested in their lab test requirements spec (outside of that is at your own risk).

Also, the unit, being turned on will generate some heat from itself so it wouldn't in many cases actually be running at the ambient low temp that existed outside of the case.

But it is true that it is not outdoor rated, as it is not sealed in an outdoor case.

Are you feeding those with a 2-pole 60 amp breaker on your AC line side?
I have a 50 amp 2-pole.

I only have 6 AWG to that circuit. But on the bright side, I can only draw about 37 amps through that circuit to power everything in my entire house.

When I push 32 amps into my car, it is 7.6 kW. I have it set to only charge my battery at just 4 amps A/C, and basically, whatever the sun will force into it, I think the max setting is 120 amps. That 120 amps, don't go through the A/C circuit, just direct from the Sun to the battery bank.

I have a 50 amp 2-pole.

I only have 6 AWG to that circuit. But on the bright side, I can only draw about 37 amps through that circuit to power everything in my entire house.

When I push 32 amps into my car, it is 7.6 kW. I have it set to only charge my battery at just 4 amps A/C, and basically, whatever the sun will force into it, I think the max setting is 120 amps. That 120 amps, don't go through the A/C circuit, just direct from the Sun to the battery bank.
How warm does the LV get on the wall, that they request non flammable backing? I want to mount plywood, but don't want a fire issue. I can't believe this can get hot enough to catch wood on fire? Or is this CYA lawyer by the company?

How warm does the LV get on the wall, that they request non flammable backing? I want to mount plywood, but don't want a fire issue. I can't believe this can get hot enough to catch wood on fire? Or is this CYA lawyer by the company?
The hottest the inverter ever got was 84°C and then went into fail-safe. It only did this when it was asked to do 12kW. The vast majority(99.999%) of the time the entire system was 40°C or less.

Back