diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV5048 Inverter and 48V Li-ion Mega Power Pack but batteries NOT charging?

papichulo2nite

Hi all,

I am completely off grid and building out a better system to support my family of 8! Please be patient with me as I may be doing something really dumb and simple but i just cannot figure it out...

I am running 10 of the 340 Watt panels hooked in series sets of 2 and then going back to a 8 string combiner box (Currently only using 5 breakers but going to expand). This has 1 output AC run (+/- and ground) back to the inverter (MPP LV5048) I have it all running into only 1 of the MPPT inputs which seems wrong to me but I don't know any better.

The system seems to run fine when the solar in generating. I used to have a 48v FLA battery system but have disconnected it when I bought the 48V Mega LI-Ion pack (Gen 2 16kw) from bigbattery.com (https://bigbattery.com/product/48v-li-ion-mega-power-pack/) I cannot figure out why but the batteries are not charging!!! I think they may be charging a little while solar is running but when I am running the 7500 watt generator it does not seem to do a thing but run the current load of power.

I have attached the setting I have set up on the inverter by just doing a bunch of research online. Also spec sheet for the panels and the link above for the Battery.

Seriously need help. What am I doing wrong??

Attachments

• LV5048 split phase manual-20191024.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Mono 72 Cell 335-370W SOW Spec Sheet.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 7
340W * 10 = 3400W
3400W/48V = 70.8A

This indicates that you need your charge controller set to at least 70.8A to capture all of your solar potential.

Other possible program issues:
Program 02 set to 60A indicates that you have limited the system to a total of 60A charging between both solar and generator.
Program 11 set to 30A indicates you will only charge at 30A from the generator, or 30*48V = 1440W
Program 26 set to 58V is dangerously high for NMC chemistry. I would limit it to 56.7V (4.05V/cell)
Program 27 set to 52.5V is too low for NMC float. You want something only a couple of volts below bulk.
Program 33 set to disable equalization.
Program 34, reduce to 56.7V

I know very little about the above unit, so I may be missing something.

You've switched from FLA to NMC. Charging looks different.

Restrictions from programs 02 & 11 may be contributing to charge issues.

If the battery reaches bulk voltage, you may find that little to no current flows.

Thank you for the advice. I will try some settings adjustments as indicated above. Couple questions though to make sure. The battery is a LI-Ion not NMC or are the settings the same?

Also, which setting allows the charge controller to take at least 70.8 amps and can I make this higher for cold weather production days?

What should I set program 2 and 11 to?

Li-ion is a generic term indicating Lithium based chemistry and may refer a half dozen . NMC is a specific type of Li-ion, which is supported by:

*Each cell voltage should be less than 4.15V
*Each cell voltage should be more that 2.5V

From the link you provided

Operating limits for NMC are typically 2.5-4.2V/cell, and those modules sure look like Leaf modules or similar.

Understand that I have NEVER touched or seen a LV5048, and I'm just interpreting the manual.

IMHO, the charge controller is capable of 80A. There is no reason to restrict it, and you need 70.8A of solar to utilize your peak panel output.

Program 11 should be however much charging you want to get from your generator. That's based on your desires and your generator's capability. If you specify a current that's too high, your genny will trip off if unable to supply the needed current.

Program 2 should be 80+program 11. This value exists if one needs to ensure that their battery is not subjected to excessive charge current, which is a concern with FLA/AGM, but a non-issue with LFP.

Thank you so much. I am not comfortable that everything is right yet but I did get the float setting increased and it is charging better. The spec for the battery says voltage range is 41v to 58.8v so I am not sure why setting 26 needs to be lower but I did as you suggested until I figure out more info.
Thank you again. I will try it all out and see what happens

"Program 26 set to 58V is dangerously high for NMC chemistry. I would limit it to 56.7V (4.05V/cell) "

Overcharging results in fire. Hopefully, the batterys' BMSs work as intended, but no reason to push them.

NMC with endure a great many more cycles if limited to 3.5-4.05V/cell or 49-56.7V. This gives you about 60% of your total capacity resulting in many thousands of cycles of usable life.

I set it to 56.7 as you suggested after your first post. just trying it out for a few days and watching to make sure I am charging correctly

Hi all,

I am completely off grid and building out a better system to support my family of 8! Please be patient with me as I may be doing something really dumb and simple but i just cannot figure it out...

I am running 10 of the 340 Watt panels hooked in series sets of 2 and then going back to a 8 string combiner box (Currently only using 5 breakers but going to expand). This has 1 output AC run (+/- and ground) back to the inverter (MPP LV5048) I have it all running into only 1 of the MPPT inputs which seems wrong to me but I don't know any better.

The system seems to run fine when the solar in generating. I used to have a 48v FLA battery system but have disconnected it when I bought the 48V Mega LI-Ion pack (Gen 2 16kw) (http://cloverenergysystems.com/) I cannot figure out why but the batteries are not charging!!! I think they may be charging a little while solar is running but when I am running the 7500 watt generator it does not seem to do a thing but run the current load of power.

I have attached the setting I have set up on the inverter by just doing a bunch of research online. Also spec sheet for the panels and the link above for the Battery.

--

Have you tried resetting everything. I know that it seems a bit basic, but sometimes a quick reset does the job.

Hi all,

The system seems to run fine when the solar in generating. I used to have a 48v FLA battery system but have disconnected it when I bought the 48V Mega LI-Ion pack (Gen 2 16kw) (http://cloverenergysystems.com/) I cannot figure out why but the batteries are not charging!!! I think they may be charging a little while solar is running but when I am running the 7500 watt generator it does not seem to do a thing but run the current load of power.

--

Have you tried resetting everything. I know that it seems a bit basic, but sometimes a quick reset does the job.
I did a reset and that is how I got things started working. turned off breakers, disconnected battery terminals etc.

Prior issue may have been caused by the large difference between charge and float voltages. NMC voltage settles very little, and unless your usage is high, you might not get down to the float voltage. Keeping the float 1-2V below bulk should ensure that solar charge/power is activated sooner.

Back