diy solar

diy solar

mpp lv5048 questions

johnsrt4

ok I was ready to pull the trigger and order a lv5048 I'm new to solar and want to live off grid soon. I had my self set on the lv5048 because of how simple it seemed being a all in one and being able to be hooked up as split phase to a normal panel box that I already have in my office trailer. So I sent an email to Mpp to order one and in the response she made it sound like the lv5048 will not work with all lifepo4 batteries . I was planning on starting out with 4 lion energy 105 amp hour batteries for my 48 volt system . now I'm worried if they will work with the lv5048 anyone know this info? also it said there is up to 20 handling days and it is shipped from taiwan. If this will work with the lion energy batteries is there anyone in the states that stocks these? is there a better option than the lv5048? here is a copy of the email. Sorry for the beginner questions .

Thank you for your message.

for this LV 5048 inverter.

price is at UDS 870/pc. plus USD 250 DHL shipping from Taiwan to US .

order require a 14-20 days of handling time after payment.

if you can wait and like to order, pls let us know.

LV 5048 is a 5000w pure sine wave inverter 48vdc 110v/220vac Split phase , with Two built in 80A MPPT solar charger and a 60A battery charger.

- can support up to 5000w of ac load Split phase

-can support up to 8000w of solar power

- can use solar power as priority power to supply ac loads and charge battery, while when solar is low. Battery power or AC grid power can be used

- This inverter can be connected up to 3 pc in parallel. to form a max 15kw of inverter system .

- can work under single phase 110v , or 220vac or even 3 phase 208 220v .

-Able to work with AGM, GEL and Flooded type lead acid battery . also some Lifepo4 battery , as long as the voltage rand stay in inveter’s charging voltage range

-Max charging current : 160A+60A= 220A

Manual link

http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/SPLIT PHASE LV/LV5048 split phase manual-20191024.pdf

if you can wait and like to order. please let us know. thanks

**Please note there are currently several Mainland Chinese companies who have copied our inverters and offering them at lower prices. For your own benefit, please do NOT support these inferior products. MPP Solar operates independently and is NOT affiliated to these companies in any way.

Kind Regard

Peggy Hung

Sales Department

peggy@mppsolar.com

TEL: 886 2 8797 8896 ex 603

The shipping is part of why is did not pick up the lv5048. Summer is on the way and I need my air conditioners running. Wating for 2-4 weeks was a bit of a bummer for me.

I have 2 MPP Solar LV 5048 units and I want my system to do 240 volts. Will Prowse just did a video on wiring up 2 MPP Solar LV6548 in parallel split phase to get 240 volt in the main power panel (
) . Would I wire up my 2 LV5048 units the same way in order to get 240 Volts? Thank you in advance.

I have 2 MPP Solar LV 5048 units and I want my system to do 240 volts. Will Prowse just did a video on wiring up 2 MPP Solar LV6548 in parallel split phase to get 240 volt in the main power panel (
) . Would I wire up my 2 LV5048 units the same way in order to get 240 Volts? Thank you in advance.
NO !!!
The LV6548 is NOT inherently a 240v US split phase unit. First you MUST have 2 to even get split phase from the LV6548 s. Ifr you notice on that video Will connects ONE of the LV6548 s to EACH LEG of the main lug box to get 240 split phase then as with both models you need to program it for split phase. For LV6548 s he told one it was phase 1 and the other it was phase 2 then had to tell it the offset was 180 degrees.

The MPPLV5048 is inherently able to do split phase with only one unit with the number 28 setting programmed to 2A2. When you parallel them you wire each one to both 120 legs of service panel and Neutral and (ground depending on setup ground may not be needed except for 3 phase power). Then you have to tell the unit ID etc and one is master.

For instance if one LV6548 goes out you can ONLY produce 120v US.
If one of the MPP LV5048 s goes out you still have 240v split phase (MPP calls it 2 phase) .

Using 2 MPP LV5048 s in parallel just doubles the power capability to 10,000 watts.

if you are interested in an MPP Solar in the US, i wouldnt go for the 5048 anymore...
These are older models, and not UL listed, which may get you in trouble with insurrance..

lx6048 or better yet, their new types lvx6048 would be my inverter of choice..
Furthermore, i woulnt import myself into the US...
For support and quick shipping , i would take a look at the US representatives like https://watts247.com/.
They will be able to provide you support in your time much quicker...

if you are interested in an MPP Solar in the US, i wouldnt go for the 5048 anymore...
These are older models, and not UL listed, which may get you in trouble with insurrance..

lx6048 or better yet, their new types lvx6048 would be my inverter of choice..
Furthermore, i woulnt import myself into the US...
For support and quick shipping , i would take a look at the US representatives like https://watts247.com/.
They will be able to provide you support in your time much quicker...
I totally agree the LVX5048 s would be my choice since they take 450v or so pv string and they can inject (offset blend in) power from the grid but he specifically said he had 2 LV 5048 s

Here is a You tube video from DMI about the parallel setup of the MPP LV5048 s and I am sure he has another about the wiring predating this one.

TKB4- Thank you for your reply, found the info very helpful. So L1 , L2 & N would be wired up in the panel power box from the LV5048 inverters as seen in the picture I add?

Attachments

• power box.png
    power box.png
    582.5 KB · Views: 16
Yes and several things to consider also. This is correct for the Grid bypass INPUT but for the OUTPUT from the Inverter (MPP LV5048) the following applies . If you parallel the units you would need to combine the output of both inverter then make ONE connection to main service box UNLESS you are PURELY off grid (no grid service at all) then you can put 2 separate 240v breakers in the main panel for the LV5048s and turn them on at the same time.

You cannot power the service panel while the grid is connected to it or any other source of power such as a generator.
If the grid was down and you didn't disconnect it then you could electrocute a line worker repairing the utility lines. You also wouldn't want to because if the power came back on or any other source supplied power to the panel it would backed the Inverter causing a fault or damage. This is generally dealt with by a transfer switch that disconnects the panel from the grid at same time it connects the inverter. (some inverters are grid interactive or have grid injection capability so that this isnt required when connected correctly with current sensors etc also known as CT s )
You CANNOT have INPUT from the grid panel and OUTPUT to the same grid panel at the same time. Since this would harm the inverter and NOT the grid workers you can either have a panel with a similar interlock to protect your inverter or remember to shut the grid bypass to the inverter off or dont have incoming grid power to the inverter .
A GENERATOR INTERLOCK SWITCH is a much less expensive way to deal with this for the Inverter OUTPUT.. This is basically a metal plate connected to the service panel that prevents the first 240 volt breaker usually on the top left or right from being turned on unless the main power is off. Its available for most modern service panels. Here is a link to an example. You can just look at around the 2:00 mark to see it.

Here is a link to a channel that may help some.

Last edited:
TKB4- Thank you for your response. I am not connected to the Grid nor will be. This will be an off grid setup.

Has anyone found a way to get the MPP LV5048 inverters to communicate with the EG4 48-volt battery (without the display) to charge them correctly rather than relying on the voltage setting to charge it to a full 100% SOC?

Last edited:
Question, I have 2 MPP LV5048 units. To set them up in parallel and for 240 volts, do you have to wire up L1, L2 ,N & G for the AC output for both units or do you just use the L1, N, G from both units into the service panel( this is an off grid only setup).

I finally installed my 2 MPP LV5048 units. I wired them up is parallel split phase for 240V, where I used L1, L2, N, G from each LV5048 into the same electrical service panel that is totally off grid. I notice that when I turned on both double pole breaker I get a error code 05 which say something about "output short-circuit or over temperature detected in inverter inner components". So I only turn on one of the double pole breaker. I guessing that I only need to use on of the L1 f from one of the LV5048 and L2 from the other LV5048 to wire it to just one double pole breaker and that you work. Can someone in this forum Let me know if this is the correct way to wire up both LV5048 in parallel split phase for 240v.

Back