diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6048 Help needed

christianrodher

MPP LV6048
I'm having 2 problems with a new installation.
1) PV voltage drop from 80-85v to 65v-70v and from 36 amps to 20-25amps when I turn on the solar panels breakers.
2) PV2 input disconnects after a couple of minutes. Needs to restart the inverter (cut all power) for it to work again.

I have 8 39v 9.32amp solar panels. They are connected in 2 sets of 4 panels. 2 panels of each set connected in series to achieve 80v-85v and 18-20amps.

Each 6kW unit consists of 2 x 4kW Solar Chargers – Capable of supporting a total Solar array of 8kW, of a voltage range between 60 to 110V DC, MAX DC voltage is 145V

PV input voltage may be below 60VDC.

Are you getting any fault code when unit disconnects?

Can you (temporarily) rewire just 6 panels of three in series?

Each 6kW unit consists of 2 x 4kW Solar Chargers – Capable of supporting a total Solar array of 8kW, of a voltage range between 60 to 110V DC, MAX DC voltage is 145V

PV input voltage may be below 60VDC.

Are you getting any fault code when unit disconnects?

Can you (temporarily) rewire just 6 panels of three in series?
I'm not getting any fault code. I can switch the set connected to PV1 to PV2 and PV2 will not come online. I have to cut off all power from the inverter for PV2 to come on again for a minute or so before turning off again. The multimeter is never giving me less than 65 volts readings, but ill connect them in series using just 6 panels as suggested to test.

i
check PV2 connections.
I switch pv2 with panels connected on PV1. PV2 still disconnects. I wire 3 in series for 120 volts 10amps PVs. Same thing PV2 disconnect.
I contacted MPP solar and they ask me to remove the enclosing and see if there any visible dmg on PV2 board. I didnt notice any dmg. Waiting for them to reply.

You have any other idea?

This is a bit difficult from afar but it appears the unit may be defective.

I thought there could be the possibility of low PV input voltage, hence the 3-series test.

I would have to study the schematic of that unit as I do not know what device/part would shut off PV2 input.

Possibly you could identify the failed part with a can of cold spray in thinking your unit does work albeit for 1 minute.
Again I am not familiar with the protection circuitry involved.

Sorry for your situation. I think you've done about the best you can troubleshooting at this point.

Back