diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548 AC Wiring Question

Is this method of AC wiring with a transfer switch that does not switch neutral (using a Reliance transfer switch) still best/okay to do? This image is from FilterGuy's grounding and bonding PDF. The only other question I have for it is what about the ground that runs from the transfer switch back to the main breaker box? Would it get left unattached since inverter 1 is grounded to the main box as well as the transfer switch anyways?
Per @Zwy you'll probably need to make up your own mind as to how to wire this. @FilterGuy 's version is fine, but if you go with that you'll need to take out one of the screws to eliminate an N-G bond in one of the boxes. I spent hours reading through this, rather raging at times, debate: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/signature-solar-eg4-6-5k-off-grid-inverter-6500ex-48.40478/ You'll probably need to do the same to understand the tradeoffs. On balance, I was convinced to go with Zwy's design. There's also 'uge debate on here about one or two grounding rods ... on balance, I was convinced to do a single ground through the Service ... all tradeoffs, and each situation will be different.

Per @Zwy you'll probably need to make up your own mind as to how to wire this. @FilterGuy 's version is fine, but if you go with that you'll need to take out one of the screws to eliminate an N-G bond in one of the boxes. I spent hours reading through this, rather raging at times, debate: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/signature-solar-eg4-6-5k-off-grid-inverter-6500ex-48.40478/ You'll probably need to do the same to understand the tradeoffs. On balance, I was convinced to go with Zwy's design. There's also 'uge debate on here about one or two grounding rods ... on balance, I was convinced to do a single ground through the Service ... all tradeoffs, and each situation will be different.

I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely go through that thread. For clarification though, you mention removing the N-G bond screws from one inverter. @FilterGuy diagram that I showed has the screws removed from both inverters. My main service panel already has a N-G bond, so with my limited knowledge, it makes sense to remove both screws to prevent a second bond.

I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely go through that thread. For clarification though, you mention removing the N-G bond screws from one inverter. @FilterGuy diagram that I showed has the screws removed from both inverters. My main service panel already has a N-G bond, so with my limited knowledge, it makes sense to remove both screws to prevent a second bond.
The only time you would remove both bonding screws is if there is no bonded AC-in and you are placing an n-g bond on the output -OR- you are creating a 'common neutral' system by tieing the input and output neutral together.

Reports here on the forum and elsewhere indicate wiring for common neutral works for this class of dynamic-bonding inverters, but I have never seen comments or documents from the manufacturers that this a supported on these inverters. (Note: Many of the higher priced inverters *do* implement common neutral internally but they do NOT do dynamic bonding)

The only time you would remove both bonding screws is if there is no bonded AC-in and you are placing an n-g bond on the output -OR- you are creating a 'common neutral' system by tieing the input and output neutral together.

Reports here on the forum and elsewhere indicate wiring for common neutral works for this class of dynamic-bonding inverters, but I have never seen comments or documents from the manufacturers that this a supported on these inverters. (Note: Many of the higher priced inverters *do* implement common neutral internally but they do NOT do dynamic bonding)
Okay. So it sounds like I will be doing it like your diagram in figure 6B (Common Neutral). In this example, can the transfer switch (Reliance 510) be grounded directly to the main panel still also?

Is this method of AC wiring with a transfer switch that does not switch neutral (using a Reliance transfer switch) still best/okay to do? This image is from FilterGuy's grounding and bonding PDF. The only other question I have for it is what about the ground that runs from the transfer switch back to the main breaker box? Would it get left unattached since inverter 1 is grounded to the main box as well as the transfer switch anyways?
@FilterGuy This diagram is showing both boxes with the screw removed, but in the text on the bottom right, it says to only unground one. Is this diagram correct?

Back