diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548

DanF - (y)Thumbs up for an amazingly clean install! Just watched the videos. Thanks for sharing. Now I can only feel disappointed about whatever I end up doing....
DanF - (y)Thumbs up for an amazingly clean install! Just watched the videos. Thanks for sharing. Now I can only feel disappointed about whatever I end up doing....
Thanks for the kind words! Na, you'll be fine. I had to build my system with the thought of selling my house at some point so I wanted it to be more of a built-in look I suppose..

Thanks for the kind words! Na, you'll be fine. I had to build my system with the thought of selling my house at some point so I wanted it to be more of a built-in look I suppose..
Yeah, but prettiest install to date. Even cleaner than DMI inc. I just purchased my second LV6548 to make mine at least work like your install. It will never look as nice, but oh well.

Yeah, but prettiest install to date. Even cleaner than DMI inc. I just purchased my second LV6548 to make mine at least work like your install. It will never look as nice, but oh well.
That's what makes this forum invaluable! Everyone gets to post, give ideas and help others out. We are all here to have fun and learn.Good luck with your build and looking forward to how it all turns out!

That's what makes this forum invaluable! Everyone gets to post, give ideas and help others out. We are all here to have fun and learn.Good luck with your build and looking forward to how it all turns out!
Ok, so I received and top balanced 16 Lifepo4 cells, and built my battery box. Now its on to the AC side of things. Thanks Dan for the info on using one 60 amp 2 pole breaker to feed both inverters by using L1 on one and L2 on the other. Not being an electrician like yourself, I am stuck at the sub panel in my garage, where I am installing the inverters.
I have a 60 amp feed from the main going to L1 and L2 of the sub panel. My problem is I want to feed that panel from the inverters instead of the grid. Do I need to install yet another sub panel? One as input to the inverters, and another as output from the inverters?
I attached a drawing, and need to know what the schematic diagram looks like for input and output. Do I feed from the 60 amp 2 pole from the main to a new input panel with another 60 amp breaker? , and then feed the output to the circuits in the old sub panel?

Attachments

• 20210510_204759.jpg
    20210510_204759.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18
Ok, so I received and top balanced 16 Lifepo4 cells, and built my battery box. Now its on to the AC side of things. Thanks Dan for the info on using one 60 amp 2 pole breaker to feed both inverters by using L1 on one and L2 on the other. Not being an electrician like yourself, I am stuck at the sub panel in my garage, where I am installing the inverters.
I have a 60 amp feed from the main going to L1 and L2 of the sub panel. My problem is I want to feed that panel from the inverters instead of the grid. Do I need to install yet another sub panel? One as input to the inverters, and another as output from the inverters?
I attached a drawing, and need to know what the schematic diagram looks like for input and output. Do I feed from the 60 amp 2 pole from the main to a new input panel with another 60 amp breaker? , and then feed the output to the circuits in the old sub panel?
If I understand your situation.. You would use the 2-pole 60a breaker from the main panel to feed your AC inputs on your inverters instead of your sub panel. The sub panel would be fed from the AC outputs of your inverters to either the main lugs or another 2 pole breaker in your sub panel.
Does this help?

Dan

Something else I thought about.. Will you be using your sub panel for critical loads only? Or are these circuits that you will need to use on a daily basis? When I designed my system I moved main panel circuits to my sub panel (Some of which are critical and some are everyday use). I need to have the option of running on main power if there is no sun or battery power left. These inverters will do this BUT... I wanted a fail safe setup in case my inverters failed or needed maintained so I highly recommend putting in a manual transfer switch for this reason. This way you can take the inverters out of the loop and run from main power straight to the sub panel if need be.
I can draw you up something if it would help...

Something else I thought about.. Will you be using your sub panel for critical loads only? Or are these circuits that you will need to use on a daily basis? When I designed my system I moved main panel circuits to my sub panel (Some of which are critical and some are everyday use). I need to have the option of running on main power if there is no sun or battery power left. These inverters will do this BUT... I wanted a fail safe setup in case my inverters failed or needed maintained so I highly recommend putting in a manual transfer switch for this reason. This way you can take the inverters out of the loop and run from main power straight to the sub panel if need be.
I can draw you up something if it would help...
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. All the circuits in my Garage currently run off the sub panel from the main in the house. Its about 100 feet away from the house panel. The house main, and therefore the garage subpanel, is also backed up by a whole house 20KW Generac. My goal is to use the two LV6548's as the primary AC for the garage, which also includes an apt upstairs, along with an HVAC, electric stove, fridge, routers, etc.
The Grid will be used as a backup for the inverters in the garage.

So based on your comments, I assume it should go:
Main > 60 amp breaker in main > transfer switch > inverters > sub panel.
Transfer switch > sub panel.

Is that right?

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. All the circuits in my Garage currently run off the sub panel from the main in the house. Its about 100 feet away from the house panel. The house main, and therefore the garage subpanel, is also backed up by a whole house 20KW Generac. My goal is to use the two LV6548's as the primary AC for the garage, which also includes an apt upstairs, along with an HVAC, electric stove, fridge, routers, etc.
The Grid will be used as a backup for the inverters in the garage.

So based on your comments, I assume it should go:
Main > 60 amp breaker in main > transfer switch > inverters > sub panel.
Transfer switch > sub panel.

Is that right?
Sounds right to me.

Sounds right to me.
Hey Dan, I just watched your Youtube video again where you turned on the inverters for the first time. There was a great panning shot of your battery bank. Did you make those bus bars yourself? Or were they bought? If bought, from where?
Very nice look to those, and I am sure you have no hot spots or high resistance.

Hey Dan, I just watched your Youtube video again where you turned on the inverters for the first time. There was a great panning shot of your battery bank. Did you make those bus bars yourself? Or were they bought? If bought, from where?
Very nice look to those, and I am sure you have no hot spots or high resistance.
Thanks, yes I made them... 1/4"x3/4" . Bought 6' stick from No problems so far
Thanks, yes I made them from a 6'x1/4"x3/4" stock copper bar. I'll have to look back and see where I bought it from. The price was good but the shipping was expensive!

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_174007.jpg
    IMG_20210220_174007.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210220_173815.jpg
    IMG_20210220_173815.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 17
McMaster-Carr..
Very nice! You must have the long grub screws also. I tried the 1/4 copper bar, but it was too thick to get the nut on afterwards after the sense wire.
Also, I guess I need a drill press. What a bitch with cheap bits and a hand screwdriver to get through that stuff!
Ok, you sold me though. Time to get some longer grub screws!

Attachments

• 20210518_121214.jpg
    20210518_121214.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 7
I will have my LV6548 in a week. Going to stick it in an enclosed trailer and charge my tesla with it. Such a great price considering the output and features.
Just got two of these this week and im waiting on my last set of 280ah cells to arrive. Can’t WAIT to turn them on. Will, do you have any setup videos on this inverter?

@DanF @Will Prowse

Question if you guys get time:

My biggest issue is I can’t figure out what BMS I can use that will connect directly to the inverters. Pylontech, WECO, or Solataro seem to be non existent, unless you buy a prebuilt… MPP sent me their protocol, but I am no programmer. Very good with computers, but anyone find a way around this? Or do I even need one with these inverters??
Love your videos, both of you. Thanks for teaching me quite a bit!!

Just got two of these this week and im waiting on my last set of 280ah cells to arrive. Can’t WAIT to turn them on. Will, do you have any setup videos on this inverter?

@DanF @Will Prowse

Question if you guys get time:

My biggest issue is I can’t figure out what BMS I can use that will connect directly to the inverters. Pylontech, WECO, or Solataro seem to be non existent, unless you buy a prebuilt… MPP sent me their protocol, but I am no programmer. Very good with computers, but anyone find a way around this? Or do I even need one with these inverters??
Love your videos, both of you. Thanks for teaching me quite a bit!!
No need to have them communicate. Just set the BMS to protect the cells, and set the Inverter to how you want to charge them.
I am using the Heltec/JK 200amp 2amp active BMS with bluetooth for the cells, and so far just the watchpower software for my LV6548 inverters. I am in the process of learning Python for the Raspberry Pi method of managing the setup, similar to what DMI inc did on youtube.

No need to have them communicate. Just set the BMS to protect the cells, and set the Inverter to how you want to charge them.
I am using the Heltec/JK 200amp 2amp active BMS with bluetooth for the cells, and so far just the watchpower software for my LV6548 inverters. I am in the process of learning Python for the Raspberry Pi method of managing the setup, similar to what DMI inc did on youtube.
Appreciate the reply and Good to know. I’ve been focusing a lot of time trying to find a BMS that will communicate. Very happy to hear it isn’t necessary! I’ve seen mentions around of python/RBP like you are looking into, but I don’t know much about that.. yet. I’ll have to watch DMIs videos for sure.

I’m also going to check out the Heltec/JK BMS, just looking for a larger amp rating. Daly seems to have the monopoly on the market for anything above 100/200a. I have one for my old 24v system and not a big fan.

Appreciate the reply and Good to know. I’ve been focusing a lot of time trying to find a BMS that will communicate. Very happy to hear it isn’t necessary! I’ve seen mentions around of python/RBP like you are looking into, but I don’t know much about that.. yet. I’ll have to watch DMIs videos for sure.

I’m also going to check out the Heltec/JK BMS, just looking for a larger amp rating. Daly seems to have the monopoly on the market for anything above 100/200a. I have one for my old 24v system and not a big fan.
I agree with Sanwizard. I'm running my system naked (No BMS) yet. Mine is only a backup generator at this point until solar panel install. I don't care for Daly either but I am impressed with the JK active balancer that I use, so I may also get the JK BMS/balancer when the time comes. For now I run the batteries at 3.125v-3.5v range(50v-56v total pack) without issue. They rarely go over .1 delta variation between cells. I have the balancer set at .05v to actively start balancing.

Last edited:
I agree with Sanwizard. I'm running my system naked (No BMS) yet. Mine is only a backup generator at this point until solar panel install. I don't care for Daly either but I am impressed with the JK active balancer that I use, so I may also get the JK BMS/balancer when the time comes. For now I run the batteries at 3v-3.5v range without issue. They rarely go over .05 delta variation between cells.
Hey Dan, you just received some kudos from DMI on his Youtube channel. Thanks for all the help you are providing folks!

Hey Dan, you just received some kudos from DMI on his Youtube channel. Thanks for all the help you are providing folks!
I saw that! he's jammin some serious power with that system! I couldn't have built my setup without the help of others either and so I try to give back when I can. This forum, @Will Prowse, and many others have been such a valuable part of my DIY experience!

Back