diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548

Just got two of these this week and im waiting on my last set of 280ah cells to arrive. Can’t WAIT to turn them on. Will, do you have any setup videos on this inverter?

@DanF @Will Prowse

Question if you guys get time:

My biggest issue is I can’t figure out what BMS I can use that will connect directly to the inverters. Pylontech, WECO, or Solataro seem to be non existent, unless you buy a prebuilt… MPP sent me their protocol, but I am no programmer. Very good with computers, but anyone find a way around this? Or do I even need one with these inverters??
Love your videos, both of you. Thanks for teaching me quite a bit!!
seplos, 100% pylontech compatible, and so far seems excellent

I agree with Sanwizard. I'm running my system naked (No BMS) yet. Mine is only a backup generator at this point until solar panel install. I don't care for Daly either but I am impressed with the JK active balancer that I use, so I may also get the JK BMS/balancer when the time comes. For now I run the batteries at 3.125v-3.5v range(50v-56v total pack) without issue. They rarely go over .1 delta variation between cells. I have the balancer set at .05v to actively start balancing.
@DanF thanks for the reply. Thats one hell of a backup genny you got there! Haha my system will be similar until I replace my roof (next summer), I figure might as well wait to put holes in it until I have the 20yr old+ roof replaced. Then I’m going to cover the south side in panels, completely.

So for now, I’m essentially building the same as you. I’m on the BMS/Equilizer hunt now and definitely avoiding a fan model. I’ll use inverter as @Sanwizard says for high/low and BMS to keep close voltage. I notice you have a smart shunt 500a. Is this for the SOC?

I too couldn’t have even gotten as far as I am without the help of others, so I appreciate the responses guys. I plan to do some videos once I get further along also.

@DanF thanks for the reply. Thats one hell of a backup genny you got there! Haha my system will be similar until I replace my roof (next summer), I figure might as well wait to put holes in it until I have the 20yr old+ roof replaced. Then I’m going to cover the south side in panels, completely.

So for now, I’m essentially building the same as you. I’m on the BMS/Equilizer hunt now and definitely avoiding a fan model. I’ll use inverter as @Sanwizard says for high/low and BMS to keep close voltage. I notice you have a smart shunt 500a. Is this for the SOC?

I too couldn’t have even gotten as far as I am without the help of others, so I appreciate the responses guys. I plan to do some videos once I get further along also.
I totally agree with the BMS comment and NO fan. Point of failure to me as well.
The 500A smart shunt is fantastic to use in cooperation with the JK balancer for monitoring and yes I use it for SOC and other important data. With my charge/discharge parameters on the MPP's (50v-56v) I get about 250ah out of 272 rated and I'm happy with that! The smart shunt will tell you that data. The only thing that sucks about it is the bluetooth in my opinion. The range is horrible compared to the range with the JK balancer bluetooth.
I am also working on some upgrades (as Sanwizard is) with the raspberry pi to graph everything and it won't matter then. Not so sure I can accomplish the programming lol, but we'll see.
Good luck with your build! It's pretty cool to see what these Lifepo4 batteries can do! You are in the right place with this forum, plenty of help here with very knowledgeable people.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! Glad yours is working out great, gives me hope! I am already loving this forum, so many good people with great ideas… I’m learning quickly that I don’t know as much as I thought haha

250ah for 50-56v is not bad at all, I’ll be happy if I can get that for sure! I think I’m going to do the same thing and find a JK BMS/Balancer (finding a good supplier can be tough as I’m sure you know… lol).

I think I’m going to draw up a diagram of my thoughts/system and post it on here to get peoples opinions. Oh and great videos you posted! I’ve been watching them all.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! Glad yours is working out great, gives me hope! I am already loving this forum, so many good people with great ideas… I’m learning quickly that I don’t know as much as I thought haha

250ah for 50-56v is not bad at all, I’ll be happy if I can get that for sure! I think I’m going to do the same thing and find a JK BMS/Balancer (finding a good supplier can be tough as I’m sure you know… lol).

I think I’m going to draw up a diagram of my thoughts/system and post it on here to get peoples opinions. Oh and great videos you posted! I’ve been watching them all.
I bought mine here:

I purchased the Pi4 to also use the Jblance/Mpp-solar setup to graph and monitor the lv6548 inverters. I started and got as far as installing the mpp-solar files and making sure i could communicate with the Inverter but just realized that i would not have the time to learn and troubleshoot the whole operation. I ended up just purchasing solar-assistant. https://solar-assistant.io which also runs on the Pi and it allowed me to be up and running in minutes rather than days/weeks.

i have been using it for 4 days now and so far I can say i am very happy with it, having not used anything other than the watchpower software which anything is step up from. I have attached some screenshots from it.

Attachments

• Solar-assistant - Inverter cluster screenshot.jpg
    Solar-assistant - Inverter cluster screenshot.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Solar-assistant - charts2.jpg
    Solar-assistant - charts2.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Solar-assistant - charts1.jpg
    Solar-assistant - charts1.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 24
Yeah, packaged code solutions are easier, but they do cost money, and you dont get to learn Linux and Python as well! Plus, if something breaks, or you want to add options, you can do it yourself.

That being said, that looks like a nice solution, but I just see inverter data. No cell information. Does it also do the BMS?

Agreed on the cost, simplicity and loss of knowledge and later on once i am done and looking for the next thing to tinker with i may just spin up a vm and get the phythong scripts setup with grafana to learn it.

It can read the data from the Victron Shunt, I have ordered the VE data cable to see how that works but that will only provide more accurate SOC, from their website they claim to integrate with some BMSs but not sure if that would give you cell level information or just the SOC. Sadly the JK/Heltec BMS is not in the list.

Averge CH48/LFeLi range RS232 port
Hubble X100 RS232 port
Leoch LFeLi RS232 port
Narada NPFC RS232 port
Pylontech RS485 port
Revov B100 RS232 port
Shoto SDA10 RS232/RS485 port

I am using 2 Gyll batteries batteries from signature Solar and 2 48v Shunbin Batteries that i had purchased previously from amazon so i am not able to see full cell level data anyway because of the shunbin batteries. I have now ordered 16 of the CATL 310ah cells to build my own battery with the Heltek 200ah 2A BMS/balancer. Once i have that setup i may enquire with solar-assistant if they are able to read that BMS using the RS485 port since the protocol appears to be readily available and if they cannot it may be the situation that forces me back to learn phython and do it myself :)

Agreed on the cost, simplicity and loss of knowledge and later on once i am done and looking for the next thing to tinker with i may just spin up a vm and get the phythong scripts setup with grafana to learn it.

It can read the data from the Victron Shunt, I have ordered the VE data cable to see how that works but that will only provide more accurate SOC, from their website they claim to integrate with some BMSs but not sure if that would give you cell level information or just the SOC. Sadly the JK/Heltec BMS is not in the list.

Averge CH48/LFeLi range RS232 port
Hubble X100 RS232 port
Leoch LFeLi RS232 port
Narada NPFC RS232 port
Pylontech RS485 port
Revov B100 RS232 port
Shoto SDA10 RS232/RS485 port

I am using 2 Gyll batteries batteries from signature Solar and 2 48v Shunbin Batteries that i had purchased previously from amazon so i am not able to see full cell level data anyway because of the shunbin batteries. I have now ordered 16 of the CATL 310ah cells to build my own battery with the Heltek 200ah 2A BMS/balancer. Once i have that setup i may enquire with solar-assistant if they are able to read that BMS using the RS485 port since the protocol appears to be readily available and if they cannot it may be the situation that forces me back to learn phython and do it myself :)
Great! Keep us in the loop and update once you get the DIY battery built. My main concern is to assure the BMS is functioning ok, and no runaway cell voltages are occuring during charging.
Trying to protect my $6000 investment in battery cells. 3 x 16s 280ah, each with its own Heltec 200amp BMS.

I have been playing around with the Jblance install. I am able to read all of the battery voltages and resistance measurements using jkbms -p at the command prompt, but I haven't been able to read the data from influx on grafana yet. Everything seems to be working fine but something is just not quite right yet. Anyone else attempting this on their Pi4 that can chime in? Might have to post this in/or start another forum so everyone that wants the install info can learn how to do it...

I have been playing around with the Jblance install. I am able to read all of the battery voltages and resistance measurements using jkbms -p at the command prompt, but I haven't been able to read the data from influx on grafana yet. Everything seems to be working fine but something is just not quite right yet. Anyone else attempting this on their Pi4 that can chime in? Might have to post this in/or start another forum so everyone that wants the install info can learn how to do it...
Please do! Work has been tying me up, so I have not had a chance to deep dive into it. I have my 2 x Pi4's loaded, and virtual keyboards connected. I'm a Microsoft guy, so digging into Python and Lunux is FUN! Installs of code is so different between the two. Linux is actually much easier, as long as nobody forces me to use the dreaded VI editor. That is the most non-intuitive piece of code ever developed.
Thanks for your help on the AC side! my inverters are currently in single, with each on one hot leg and shared neutral. That 3 port lug worked perfect for combining the #4awg neutrals.
I may need your help again in getting the LV6548's into split 2P1 and 2P2 mode. Getting error F86, and they shut down. Ian at Watts247 helped me in getting them back to single mode. They work fine in that mode. All my appliances and 120V AC units are happy. I was able to run AC, lights, fridge and Dewalt table saw and chop saw at the same time! Only 4KW, with surge to 5KW. The LV6548 shrugged it off. Love it.

seplos uses it's own bms.
there's a topic on them here in the forums, and multiple people have ordered one and are in the test phase ( like me)
Crap, and I just ordered two more Heltec 200's last night! I would love it if I could get the MPP inverter to show the correct SOC of my pack.

seplos, 100% pylontech compatible, and so far seems excellent

Hey houseofanchients, have you actually got to the point of hooking a Seplos BMS up yet and tested the communication?

I was pinging a rep at Seplos asking about the MPP Solar LV6548 with their BMS, and he says the following:

--------------------
"
As you know, our BMS can work with Pylontech protocol, yes, it is true.

But there are a problem is we used the CANBUS port to communication with inverter. As I know, the MPP Solar inverter are actually Voltronic Axperts inverters, and Voltacon Inverters can communicate with Pylontech US2000 or US3000 Batteries by RS485 port.

So even if our BMS can work with Pylontech protocol, but we can't sure if our BMS can be used with MPP inverter.

Can you show me a picture that communication port from MPP inverter, or whether MPP inverter support CANBUS communication.

Look forward to your reply.
"
--------------------

So when I go read the specs on the LV6548, it shows the following:

Communication Interface: USB/BMS/RS232/WIFI/dry contact

Some questions I have...
What cable do you use and which port on the LV6548?
Does the LV6548 have a CANBUS port?
Do you need some kind of CANBUS adapter to RS232 or RS485 adapter to make physical layer communication possible?

Some pictures I am looking at:

1627912644270.png

1627912764593.png

Hey houseofanchients, have you actually got to the point of hooking a Seplos BMS up yet and tested the communication?

I was pinging a rep at Seplos asking about the MPP Solar LV6548 with their BMS, and he says the following:

--------------------
"
As you know, our BMS can work with Pylontech protocol, yes, it is true.

But there are a problem is we used the CANBUS port to communication with inverter. As I know, the MPP Solar inverter are actually Voltronic Axperts inverters, and Voltacon Inverters can communicate with Pylontech US2000 or US3000 Batteries by RS485 port.

So even if our BMS can work with Pylontech protocol, but we can't sure if our BMS can be used with MPP inverter.

Can you show me a picture that communication port from MPP inverter, or whether MPP inverter support CANBUS communication.

Look forward to your reply.
"
--------------------

So when I go read the specs on the LV6548, it shows the following:

Communication Interface: USB/BMS/RS232/WIFI/dry contact

Some questions I have...
What cable do you use and which port on the LV6548?
Does the LV6548 have a CANBUS port?
Do you need some kind of CANBUS adapter to RS232 or RS485 adapter to make physical layer communication possible?

Some pictures I am looking at:

View attachment 58512

View attachment 58513
i'm using the Voltronic Axpert 8000 Maxes...
they have an rs485 port..
to test i used a Rapberry to do the translation between CAN and RS485.

I have also talked to my Seplos Rep., and they are working to get the RS485 port that they currently use for their software, working directly to inverter.
As i am told this will be a mere software upgrade of the BMS, and they are expecting it pretty soon....

if you dont want to wait, or dont want to program , this would be a ready made solution :

it would set you back about 80 euro

here's another converter , made specially for the Axpert inverters :

this would set you back about 50 Euro

i'm using the Voltronic Axpert 8000 Maxes...
they have an rs485 port..
to test i used a Rapberry to do the translation between CAN and RS485.

I have also talked to my Seplos Rep., and they are working to get the RS485 port that they currently use for their software, working directly to inverter.
As i am told this will be a mere software upgrade of the BMS, and they are expecting it pretty soon....

if you dont want to wait, or dont want to program , this would be a ready made solution :

it would set you back about 80 euro

here's another converter , made specially for the Axpert inverters :

this would set you back about 50 Euro

So the LV6548 has an RS232 on it, so perhaps this adapter would facilitate communication via CANBUS...

Back