diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548

I just sent a lot of juice out the pair of LV-6548's

This was at 12:30 AM to my car. ?
Screenshot_20210911-003054_Chrome.jpg
Interesting to know that I still had 2000 Watts available.

20210911_002908.jpg

That day I ran my Dewalt 12" compound miter saw a few dozen times.

I have overloaded the LV6548's a few times. But that is when I tried to give it grid power to the output side. It just turns off and lets you feel your way around your house in the dark. This is actually a good feature. Better to turn off than releasing the magic smoke inside that makes it all work.

251 amps on my batteries, they handled the load fine with the 60 amp circuit breakers.

exactly..what bms is in those packs do you think
they're using the same bms for the mason packs too, as far as i know.
Yes. The Mason has the same 100amp BMS, just like the Pusung. I also ordered 2 of the 200amp BMS's to see if they work well with my Lishen and CATL cells.

What cable pinout did you use?

View attachment 64521

View attachment 64522

I have overloaded the LV6548's a few times. But that is when I tried to give it grid power to the output side. It just turns off and lets you feel your way around your house in the dark. This is actually a good feature. Better to turn off than releasing the magic smoke inside that makes it all work.

251 amps on my batteries, they handled the load fine with the 60 amp circuit breakers.
Sweet! Solar assistant is awesome, isn't it? I can use my Dewalt mitre, and nail gun compressor at the same time, and the lights dont even flicker.

View attachment 64521

View attachment 64522

Damn you, you got me beat by 700 watts ?

Screenshot_20210810-165535_Samsung Internet.jpg

it is grid-assisted, it can take power from the grid ( or genny) if there is a need to do so
Ok, so it operates as a UPS? Meaning it requires batteries in all modes are can it bypass the inverter and run purely on grid if batteries are low or inverter has a malfuntion?

Ok, so it operates as a UPS? Meaning it requires batteries in all modes are can it bypass the inverter and run purely on grid if batteries are low or inverter has a malfuntion?
depends on the model..

most new version can run batteryless ( my 8000max's do ) , but you solar output will need to be big enough to handle surges ( pumps etc)

not reallt applicable for most household needs

As far as I knew, the ones that can operate batteryless, can only do so in single mode, not when stacked (please correct me if I am wrong)...

I was goofing off today and not paying attention.

I was running 11.4 kW load on my dual LV6548's (44 amp 240v AC load charging my car, the rest running my house)
Temp is 77°F in my garage.

However, my inverters generated a lot of heat inverting a 48V DC setup into 240V AC.
I was pulling 156 amps from the battery bank.

At 85°C (185°F) the inverters decided to take a rest.

1633450690293.png

The operating temp is -10 to 40
F 02 was showing and the book says this happens when a component is over 100°C.

The Inverter turns off AC output, and the fans keep blasting away. The PV array shows connected to the battery bank, and the PV to Battery kept charging.

It did not take very long to have the temperature return to normal operations, 9 minutes shown on the graph is "flatlined", or off-line.

This shows a couple of limitations. Primarily the limits of inverting 48V DC to 120V/240V AC. This would be a lot easier at 100V DC or even 200V DC.

High voltage DC inverters is the next logical step. Doubling the inverters and halving the load on each inverter is also an option.

Which is easier to do? Train the idiot not to overload the system, or make a tougher system?

Attachments

• 1633450690293.png
    1633450690293.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 21
I was goofing off today and not paying attention.

I was running 11.4 kW load on my dual LV6548's (44 amp 240v AC load charging my car, the rest running my house)
Temp is 77°F in my garage.

However, my inverters generated a lot of heat inverting a 48V DC setup into 240V AC.
I was pulling 156 amps from the battery bank.

At 85°C (185°F) the inverters decided to take a rest.

View attachment 67562

The operating temp is -10 to 40
F 02 was showing and the book says this happens when a component is over 100°C.

The Inverter turns off AC output, and the fans keep blasting away. The PV array shows connected to the battery bank, and the PV to Battery kept charging.

It did not take very long to have the temperature return to normal operations, 9 minutes shown on the graph is "flatlined", or off-line.

This shows a couple of limitations. Primarily the limits of inverting 48V DC to 120V/240V AC. This would be a lot easier at 100V DC or even 200V DC.

High voltage DC inverters is the next logical step. Doubling the inverters and halving the load on each inverter is also an option.

Which is easier to do? Train the idiot not to overload the system, or make a tougher system?
I had a very tough time with the same thing. But mine was at much lower load percentages. I spoke with Ian about the problem, asking if other people are having a tough time getting the heat OUT of the inverters. My compartment that the inverters sit in is less than 42 cu/ft, and it has its own dedicated 5000BTU AC unit to keep the temperature at a constant 75*F (24*C). I still see inverter temps up into the 60*C range under 40-50% constant load. Ian said its normal, and don't worry, but I find it hard to let it go.

I blame high temps for the reason my first inverter pooped the bed. That one consistently hit the high temp warning and would shut off.

What good is having 13,000w available, if you cant use it?

I had a very tough time with the same thing. But mine was at much lower load percentages. I spoke with Ian about the problem, asking if other people are having a tough time getting the heat OUT of the inverters. My compartment that the inverters sit in is less than 42 cu/ft, and it has its own dedicated 5000BTU AC unit to keep the temperature at a constant 75*F (24*C). I still see inverter temps up into the 60*C range under 40-50% constant load. Ian said its normal, and don't worry, but I find it hard to let it go.

I blame high temps for the reason my first inverter pooped the bed. That one consistently hit the high temp warning and would shut off.

What good is having 13,000w available, if you cant use it?
I just sent a request to Support@mppsolar. Let's see what they say.

Interesting. I am not pushing them hard at all. Maybe thats why DMI inc uses 4 of them?
I asked DMI to test them out with a heavy load on his newest video. Does the Mach-E have a 11 kW onboard charger?

I can adjust the EVSE on the fly through wifi.

The 1st spike was 20 minutes when the LV6548's shut down.
The mid plateau is 24 amps DC.
The 2nd spike was just a test to see it happen with the temp screen right infront of me, it took 5 minutes to get to above 75°C, at 11500s watt load.
The 3rd spike is after I cleared out the "spounges/air filters" of dust. It took 13 minutes to go from normal operation, 48°C to 81°C at 11700s watt load.

I tried again later today. I thought maybe the "filters" were clogged.
Now I think the air inlets holes are too small to flow smooth enough air.

1633469393982.png

I asked DMI to test them out with a heavy load on his newest video. Does the Mach-E have a 11 kW onboard charger?

The 2nd spike was just a test to see it happen with the temp screen right infront of me, it took 5 minutes to get to above 75°C, at 11500s watt load.
The 3rd spike is after I cleared out the "spounges/air filters" of dust. It took 13 minutes to go from normal operation, 48°C to 81°C at 11700s watt load.

View attachment 67601
So this is the first negative news on the LV6548's that I have seen. I was hopefull these were a winning design, as I see even the Deye/Sol-Arcs have cutoff issues when pushed over 4KW on a single leg. I wonder what the totally enclosed waterproof versions (LVX6048WP) will be like then? Thermal cutoff is a design issue. I am interested to see MPP's response. I also wonder if other Voltronics varients experience similar issues.

I wonder if it would help to install computer fans right on or near the heat sinks of the transistors inside the units to help pull heat right off of them into the general case area, where the case fans could be more effective... Kind of like how desktop computers have heat sink (CPU) fans, but also general case fans.

I'd still haven't fired up mine yet (still in box), but maybe one day soon I'll have to pull the covers off and see if there is a way to improve on the airflow/convection through the units...

View attachment 67601
Did you buy from Watts247? If so, what did Ian say?

Back