diy solar

diy solar

MPP LVX6048 communication with EG4 LiFePro4 48V 100AH BMS

EchoPapa

The MPP LVX6048 does not specifically list the EG4 LiFePO4 as supporting communication with the battery(s). Looking for evidence it works either automatically or can be set up manually. Compared to GroWatts that only require a menu setting then plug-n-play.

I’m also very interested in this. Maybe Will could address this process since he has discouraged people from Growatt so broadly and praised MPP - that’s great….but how do we use them with these batteries everyone likes?

I’m also very interested in this. Maybe Will could address this process since he has discouraged people from Growatt so broadly and praised MPP - that’s great….but how do we use them with these batteries everyone likes?
Just set the voltages in the settings yourself. Not sure why you'd need communication between the inverter and the battery BMS.

Maybe communication could stop the below problem.
In my case, It does not charge correctly on partly sunny days. (same batteries and same lvx6048 as op has)
It literally shows full charge by noon and the voltage wont be anywhere close and never was that day.
on a sunny day, it charges for hours and goes up to my settings of 56 bulk and then
floats fine at 54 volts.
I have written to Sales@mppsolar.com about the issues and am waiting to hear from them.

Maybe communication could stop the below problem.
In my case, It does not charge correctly on partly sunny days. (same batteries and same lvx6048 as op has)
It literally shows full charge by noon and the voltage wont be anywhere close and never was that day.
on a sunny day, it charges for hours and goes up to my settings of 56 bulk and then
floats fine at 54 volts.
I have written to Sales@mppsolar.com about the issues and am waiting to hear from them.
Any response from MPPSolar yet?
I was going to install 2 Growatt SPF5000es with 6 eg4s. However, I decided to go with 2 LVX6058s because of all the ATF concerns with the GWs. Being a noob, I figured that my rack of 48v eg4 batteries was good to go with the LVX6058s. Now I am reading that these two components may not be compatible. Man...I feel like I'm playing solar system whack-a-mole!

yes, but it was nonsense. I changed the charge to 56.2 bulk and 55 float and the problem went away.
Below is the answer they gave me which was not logical to me and didnt help anything because i would never discharge my batteries to 48 volts daily.
from-
peggy@mppsolar.com
"If the battery doesn't contain our BMS communication protocol and can't communicate with the unit through the customized BMS cable, the SOC will be not accuracy. If you would like to charge the battery to the bulk voltage, please first discharge the battery less than 48v then try again. The battery will enter to 3 stages charging."

my letter to them was-
Dear Sales,
I have firmware 63.03 and for some reason when it is a somewhat
cloudy/sunny day, it will say the batteries are charged when only 3 SOC lights are lit up
on my EG4 batteries (x4). This happens before noon.
It wont fully charge before the full charge light comes on and it goes into float.
Is that a firmware issue or setting issue?
I have it set to user, 56 bulk and 54.5 float. It works fine on a sunny day.
on a sunny day, it charges all the way up and takes hours to do so. It doesn't stop at noon.

Unfortunately, they fixated on the SOC lights and ignored the rest of the letter on how it is not charging before going into
float.

Anyway, working good at 55 float. and 56.2 bulk

yes, but it was nonsense. I changed the charge to 56.2 bulk and 55 float and the problem went away.
Below is the answer they gave me which was not logical to me and didnt help anything because i would never discharge my batteries to 48 volts daily.
from-
peggy@mppsolar.com
"If the battery doesn't contain our BMS communication protocol and can't communicate with the unit through the customized BMS cable, the SOC will be not accuracy. If you would like to charge the battery to the bulk voltage, please first discharge the battery less than 48v then try again. The battery will enter to 3 stages charging."

my letter to them was-
Dear Sales,
I have firmware 63.03 and for some reason when it is a somewhat
cloudy/sunny day, it will say the batteries are charged when only 3 SOC lights are lit up
on my EG4 batteries (x4). This happens before noon.
It wont fully charge before the full charge light comes on and it goes into float.
Is that a firmware issue or setting issue?
I have it set to user, 56 bulk and 54.5 float. It works fine on a sunny day.
on a sunny day, it charges all the way up and takes hours to do so. It doesn't stop at noon.

Unfortunately, they fixated on the SOC lights and ignored the rest of the letter on how it is not charging before going into
float.

Anyway, working good at 55 float. and 56.2 bulk
Thank you for the great info. My heart sank when I first heard about this issue!

In the will prowse video - he poo poos the need for BMS to inverter communication and says just use AGM at 4 minutes in to the video,

MPP LVX6048 Qty 2 plus EG4 LiFePro4 48V

He also says around 5:15 or so that he doesn't even see the point of communication. He's more worried about current sharing and "other things".

Back