diy solar

diy solar

MPP PIP 2724LV-MR N/G Bonding?

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hey all,

Can anyone confirm if the PIP 2724LV-MR's receptacles have the N/G bonded when running off battery (No AC input)?

Thanks,

Jeff

I do not have direct experience with that model, but most of the MPP units do Dynamic bonding on their output.

Looking at the manual for the unit, the settings screens and other aspects of the inverter all seem very similar to their other models that *DO* create an N-G bond on the output.

So....If I had to bet, I would bet on the unit creating the bond.

Do you have the unit? When nothing is hooked up see if there is continuity between Neutral and Ground. If there is continuity, then the unit does dynamic bonding.

Do you have the unit?
I do not. I have the 1012LV and that one does NOT bond N-G when running on battery. I had to manually tie the neutrals together to create the bond (as per Ian at Watt247). I'm interested in getting the 2724. But, since that one has integrated receptacles, I'm not sure I'd be able to tie the neutrals together if necessary...

I do not. I have the 1012LV and that one does NOT bond N-G when running on battery. I had to manually tie the neutrals together to create the bond (as per Ian at Watt247). I'm interested in getting the 2724. But, since that one has integrated receptacles, I'm not sure I'd be able to tie the neutrals together if necessary...
That is quite interesting.

I found this in the 1012LV manual:

Dry Contact Signal
There is one dry contact 3A/ 25 0V A C ) available on the rear panel. When program 38 is set as disable ”, it could be used to deliver signal to external device when battery voltage reaches warning level When program 38 is set as enabling and the unit is working in battery mode, it could be used to trigger the grounding box to connect neutral and grounding of AC output together. When program 38 is set as “disable” (default setting):

Most of the MPP inverters used to be this way, but I thought they had rolled all of their models to an internal relay 3 or 4 years ago (or more?).

I had to manually tie the neutrals together to create the bond (as per Ian at Watt247).
Tieing the input and output neutral together is what I call a "common neutral". There are a lot of reports of MPP (and other) low-cost, separate-neutral inverters working in this mode. However, the instructions that come with the inverters imply, but do not explicitly say, the neutrals should be kept separate. I have asked several Inverter company support teams if this is a supported configuration for these separate-neutral inverters but have never received a clear answer one way or another (so I do not do it).

Many of the more expensive brands explicitly state that the neutrals are tied together. (Schnider and Solark are two that have comon neutral)
IMHO, common neutral is the best way to go for stationary installs, but it can be more difficult to use in mobile installs where the bond from shore power is not always there. Separate Neutral with dynamic bonding is best for moble installations because the inverter creates the neutral when not on shore power.

The 1012LV seems to be halfway in between the two. It appears to be a separate neutral inverter but it does not have built-in internal bonding. (It is the worst of both). I wonder if Ian at Watt247 has been told by MPP that this is an acceptable solution or if he just knows it seems to work? I would think that if that was a supported solution, MPP would say to do that rather than the complexity of an external relay.

Reactions: JAS
I wonder if Ian at Watt247 has been told by MPP that this is an acceptable solution or if he just knows it seems to work? I would think that if that was a supported solution, MPP would say to do that rather than the complexity of an external relay.
I think it is something that he knows from experience. The reason I believe that is because MPP Support actually told me the wrong answer regarding my 1012LV. (Note: My 1012LV is an "MS". Others have stated that their "MK" did appear to bond "correctly")

Back