diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar + BMS communication/control

Solar Assistant looks promising for integration using BMSs that don't directly talk same language as MPP:

This is the software (installed over Raspberry Pi hardware) I'm going to try and use to interface between my JBD BMSs and MPP LV6548s...

hey,
no it's not working as a bridge. Sry, didn't mentioned it.

Well if anyone knows about a (open) lib protocol implementation, this would make the task easier.

hey,
no it's not working as a bridge. Sry, didn't mentioned it.

Well if anyone knows about a (open) lib protocol implementation, this would make the task easier.

Hi,
I attach MPP solar rs485 protocol LIB...check the marked yellow lines(underline from MPP service).
They sent me so i could try to connect to my Daly bms...but cannot; I try Lib or Lic in the 5048MGX menu.
This is the PBMS command,from MGX communication protocol
; ; P B M S a bbb c d e fff ggg hhh iiii jjjj<CRC><cr>
; 0 1 2 3 4 567 9 B D F01 345 789 BCDE 0123 45 6
; 0 1 2
; a : disconnect
; bbb : BMS SOC%
; c : BMS force AC charge
; d : Bat stop discharge flag
; e : Bat stop charge flag
; fff : BMS bat CV volt
; ggg : BMS Bat float volt
; hhh : BMS bat cutoff volt
; iiii: BMS max charge curr (amps)
; jjjj: BMS max discharge curr (amps)

This are date needed from 5048MGX I think you can take some ideas.

I m stack same.
Would you like Mgx Fw 71.10??

Attachments

• MPP SOLAR INVERTER BMS 485 communication protocol 20200219.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 120
Hi,
I attach MPP solar rs485 protocol LIB...check the marked yellow lines(underline from MPP service).
They sent me so i could try to connect to my Daly bms...but cannot; I try Lib or Lic in the 5048MGX menu.
; 0 1 2

I m stack same.
HEllo, do you mean the inverter only cares only about the marked yellow line of the mppsolar lib protocole ? So one needs only to implement this subpart of the protocole ?

Probably need only to implement cmd 0x03 and data address
0x0001
0x0002
0x0003
0x0004
0x0033
0x0070
0x0071
0x0072
0x0073
0x0074

and translate it to jk bms or DAly protocol with an esp32 for example

Last edited:
Hello...
in theory yes....MppSolar service say this...but i no have the knowledge to do implement this.

This is from PBMS command from inverter protocol;when Bms is connected to Inverter rs485 and battery tipe is
set to Lib or Lic,with PBMS command should answwer this:
a : disconnect
; jjjj: BMS max discharge curr (amps).

Please if you can do something will be very very good.

P.s.:about Bms here:https://diysolarforum.com/threads/need-advise-on-canbus.8720/page-2#post-200679
is working?..have update?

I don't know what is this PBMS command, anyway , seplos seems to have implement the pylontech rs485 protocol on theirs BMS. should be a better alternative.

Solar Assistant looks promising for integration using BMSs that don't directly talk same language as MPP:

This is the software (installed over Raspberry Pi hardware) I'm going to try and use to interface between my JBD BMSs and MPP LV6548s...
Has this worked for you. I am currently building a system and thinking about what to use.

Has this worked for you. I am currently building a system and thinking about what to use.

Yeah, mine are still in boxes (not installed yet)... People here have got it going though...

Have a look at this thread:

Hi,
; 0 1 2

I m stack same.
Hello,
I tried to implement a ModBus slave server using an ESP32 device connected to BMS port as RS485, implementing address 0x33, 0x70, 0x71, 0x72 ,0x73, 0x74, using PDF file atteched. Baud 9600, 8N1. Modbus slave address 1.
This is my first attempt to communicate with inverter via BMS port. First version sends static values as test, then if all works I will try to send data dynamically (reading from JK BMS).

I have a Voltronic Axpert Max 7200 inverter.
Tried setting battery type as "LIB" or "LIC" (restarted inverter after changing parameter), but inverter doesn't ask values on RS485 bus.
Only data passing on bus I saw, was:
Code:
~0002464F0000FD9A

Am I missing something?
For now I disconnected battery, for safety.
Battery needs to be connected to see inverter asking BMS values?

I also tried to query Inverter for BMS values:
Code:
mpp-solar -n AXPERT-MAX -p /dev/hidraw0 -P PI30MAX -c QBMS
Command: QBMS - No description found
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parameter Value                 Unit
warning   No definition for command QBMS in protocol b'PI30MAX'
response     000 0 0 0 000 000 000 0000 0000

Last edited:
Hi,

is there any news? I have the same problem with an MPP Solar 4024MT inverter that uses the lib protocol and a Chinese battery that uses the lib protocol, the manufacturer assures me that it works on voltronic, and uses the same lib protocol as mpp solar, but I can't get them to communicate , I tried several times, restarting everything and changing the RJ45 cable, now I wanted to try to connect to a PC and see what goes through the RJ45 ports, do you have any suggestions?
Thank you

/ls

I have my MPP AIO inverter communicating with my Pace BMS using the pylontech protocol so it can be done, its just the wiring needed to be different from the way my BMS RS485 pins were. Made a cable and hey presto all works.

I have my MPP AIO inverter communicating with my Pace BMS using the pylontech protocol so it can be done, its just the wiring needed to be different from the way my BMS RS485 pins were. Made a cable and hey presto all works.
What pin change d did you make and how did you figure which pins were different?

For MPP6048 to Pace BMS using the Pylon protocol for comms. I got the MPP side from the inverter manual and the Pace BMS side from Fogstar as my rack battery which uses the Pace is from them.

MPP side - Pace BMS side
Pin 3 - 1 (RS485B)
Pin 5 - 2 (RS485A)
Pin 8 - 3 (GND)

No other pins needed.

Last edited:
Back