diy solar

diy solar

MPP-SOLAR LV6548

Anyone using the Signature EG4 batteries with the LV6548 or with any other setup?
Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the EG4s https://shop.signaturesolar.us/products/48v-100ah-lifepower4-battery-by-eg4
Well, they should be honest and call them 4.8KW. Other than that, If they are 3000-6000 cycle capable, and provide the stated capacity, they are a good deal in my book. Def held together better than my DIY build. Does anyone have any studies on them over time, charge/discharge/amps/heat, etc?

Well, they should be honest and call them 4.8KW. Other than that, If they are 3000-6000 cycle capable, and provide the stated capacity, they are a good deal in my book. Def held together better than my DIY build. Does anyone have any studies on them over time, charge/discharge/amps/heat, etc?
That battery is a nominal 51.2v LiFePo4 battery, so 51.2v x 100ah is 5.12kwh, they are advertising it correctly.

Yesterday I had a day where I fully charged the battery and saw the LV6548s "turn off" the panels.

It happened again today.

This time at 1:15 in the afternoon.

Now I know the feeling of wasted energy. I could have had my car plugged in at that time, but it was charged enough also!

I would say I gave up at least a full 10 kWh of solar due to not needing and not using the electricity. What a great problem to have.?

1634526414439.png

I have 3 days of clouds forcasted, so that will make up. ?

Also, today is the 1 month of being 100% off grid. I did take some of my grid-tied power twice when I was re-wiring my batteries, but still no grid power.

1634526630559.png
1634526595192.png

Yesterday I had a day where I fully charged the battery and saw the LV6548s "turn off" the panels.

It happened again today.

This time at 1:15 in the afternoon.

Now I know the feeling of wasted energy. I could have had my car plugged in at that time, but it was charged enough also!

I would say I gave up at least a full 10 kWh of solar due to not needing and not using the electricity. What a great problem to have.?

View attachment 69245

I have 3 days of clouds forcasted, so that will make up. ?

Also, today is the 1 month of being 100% off grid. I did take some of my grid-tied power twice when I was re-wiring my batteries, but still no grid power.

View attachment 69247
View attachment 69246
Woohoo! Congrats on the off grid! I'm in almost the same boat!

Screenshot 2021-10-18 070408.png

Well, hello everyone! Decided to join the forum. Jason was posting on one of my youtube videos so I was compelled to respond somehow. Jason congrats on one month off grid.

In GA we had nothing but beautiful weather past seven days. Mild temperatures and plentiful sunshine. Above pic represents one week of production. Home and EV were fully powered by sun. Wasted in my estimation around 70kWh of available power. Need more power storage!!!!!

View attachment 69263

Well, hello everyone! Decided to join the forum. Jason was posting on one of my youtube videos so I was compelled to respond somehow. Jason congrats on one month off grid.

In GA we had nothing but beautiful weather past seven days. Mild temperatures and plentiful sunshine. Above pic represents one week of production. Home and EV were fully powered by sun. Wasted in my estimation around 70kWh of available power. Need more power storage!!!!!
Welcome and about time! I designed my entire system based off your work, and also your participation with John Blance over at Github.

Does anybody have a problem with the transfer time from battery to grid?

When I only had a single unit, you would never notice the transfer, but now when I have 2x wired in Split Phase, the transfer time is extremely long, enough to turn off all of my 110v appliances. When the air conditioners are running (back when I was using them more) they fans would slow down considerably and almost every time the breaker would trip for the AC.

Thinking about wiring them back into single phase and parallel instead of split phase. I won't be able to run 240v equipment, but its not the end of the world.

Does anybody have a problem with the transfer time from battery to grid?

When I only had a single unit, you would never notice the transfer, but now when I have 2x wired in Split Phase, the transfer time is extremely long, enough to turn off all of my 110v appliances. When the air conditioners are running (back when I was using them more) they fans would slow down considerably and almost every time the breaker would trip for the AC.

Thinking about wiring them back into single phase and parallel instead of split phase. I won't be able to run 240v equipment, but its not the end of the world.
I have not yet had the need to transfer to grid, So I have no experience with the timing.

I did find this in the manual. It states when in Parallel, the max transfer time is 50ms. Theres no way its less than a full second. Maybe I'll hit up Ian and pick his brain about it...

LV6548 Manual.png

I have 10 385 watt JA solar panels.
And the LV 6548 inverter I want to max it out with 10 more panels next month I’m not sure how to Connect the panels the panels. There are two inputs to the inverter should I just run the 10 on one of those now and 10 of them later or should I split them now

I have 10 385 watt JA solar panels.
And the LV 6548 inverter I want to max it out with 10 more panels next month I’m not sure how to Connect the panels the panels. There are two inputs to the inverter should I just run the 10 on one of those now and 10 of them later or should I split them now
Just dont exceed the 250V or 18amps per string and you should be fine. Ian told me that sticking to 250V max is more important than a slight overage on amps.

I agree, the 250V VOC is a hard number, do not go over it. But Ian has said you can overpanel up to 23 amps safely.

I agree, the 250V VOC is a hard number, do not go over it. But Ian has said you can overpanel up to 23 amps safely.
Wow. This is the second to last post on this 17 page thread (I've read the whole entire thing!!), and it's the answer I was looking for. I've ordered some 455W, 44Vmp, 11A Imp panels, and have no way to get them into my 2 inverters without running 4S2P per Input at 164V @ 22A max power. The damn manual even shows a 6S2P at 19.58A mp, over their 18A Max Input as stated on page 42 in their charging section. The many, many answers to this question are all over the place on this one thread, ranging from the inverter will shut down if over 19A to it'll just clip the amperage if over 18A to there's "flexibility" in that number (quite vague to be helpful). Any idea on the details on this? What exactly is this 18A number for? There are very few panels that are rated at less than 9A, so that 18A seems like a really stupid number, really debilitating for any system meant to power even an average home (me: 2400 sq ft, family of 4). If I can SAFELY go up to 23A, great (likely only around Noon in the summer will this matter at all for my planned system), what is that number actually for? I can't thank you enough for providing that number here ... I was mulling returning my two Inverters, and paying all the shipping, then restarting all the research to pick another one or two ...

The 18a number is only what is USABLE. When the PV Current gets above 18a, the inverter will clip and maintain current at 18a.
Awesome, thank you. Much appreciated. And, last question if you don't mind ... does it just clip it? Looking through the settings, it seems as if the system were receiving greater than 18A, then the extra PV could/would be sent to any Load?

The system PULLS current it needs from the panels, panels does not push current into the system.
I.E. your home has 200A service panel, when you plug in the load such as 100W 120VAC lamp into the AC outlet, the lamp will only draw 0.83A (100W/120VAC) from the panel.

The system PULLS current it needs from the panels, panels does not push current into the system.
I.E. your home has 200A service panel, when you plug in the load such as 100W 120VAC lamp into the AC outlet, the lamp will only draw 0.83A (100W/120VAC) from the panel.
Ah, yes, I need to re-orient my thinking that way. So, essentially, the Battery Chargers is a load that will pull max 18A from PV? Then depending on my settings/priorities, the PV can/will power the house load as well, so long as there's enough power available?

Awesome, thank you. Much appreciated. And, last question if you don't mind ... does it just clip it? Looking through the settings, it seems as if the system were receiving greater than 18A, then the extra PV could/would be sent to any Load?
No problem. To answer your question, it just clips it. The SCC can only process 18a, and all the SCC does is convert the PV input voltage to 48v Nominal, then the inverter will invert to 120v. Because of this, it can't take 18a and put it into the battery, then anything else goes to loads, because it can only process 18a.

Back