diy solar

diy solar

MPP-SOLAR LV6548

I am just looking to see if the Amp will go up beyond the spec when the Voltage drops down to keep the Wattage up, or it will be clipped at 18A so the Wattage will go down due to input current clipping.
I still wonder how the MPP comes up with the 25A in their reply.

Last edited:
I am just looking to see if the Amp will go up beyond the spec when the Voltage drops down to keep the Wattage up, or it will be clipped at 18A so the Wattage will go down due to input current clipping.
In this response, https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mpp-solar-lv6548.14840/post-418090

"maximum power point isn't found at max amps on a solar circuit, it does the periodic MPPT sweep, pulls down volts and amps comes up to some high point, and it calculates the best watts (amps x volts) along the curve, and holds it there (for some time until it triggers another MPPT sweep based on a schedule programmed in the firmware), which may not be where the amps is at its highest (since as the amps rises, the voltage is coming down on some other curve)."

My understanding is the MPPT will attempt to maximize watts with a maximum power point. If you go to the DMI video around 15:30 mark when load is increased again, you will see the MPPT bump up amps and voltage drops, then amps drop and voltage rises. This is the MPPT searching for maximum power point. Voltage dropped from 215V to 185V before rising to around 200V for the yellow string which I believe is string 2. Interesting it settled around the halfway point between the high and low voltages under increased load.

Pretty sure it'll simply clip at 18A, max it can handle, so whatever voltage is being produced by the panels, in my case 154V at 110F is the Power, ~11kW. MPP also recommends a 30A breaker on each input, so it can likely handle more than even the 25A without blowing up and they're just being safe. It would be helpful if they'd explain all of this, specifically WHY it's clipped at 18A, but they recommend a 25A Imp with a 30A breaker. But given their comms skills, this is about as likely to happen as the pretty girl telling you honestly why she said No when you asked her out. :)

Hey all, did anyone ever record their idle power consumption of one of the LV6548 units? I'm curious what they actually pull vs the spec sheet.

Thanks

I just got the email from Peggy Hung from mppsolar.com, deliveries "will be ready in 10 working days". I don't know if the actually means they will start delivering them on November 27th, or it takes them 10 days from when you order them. (I think it means the new inverter will start shipping on November 27th).

$1155 each.
Imagine most of the limits the LV5048 has when it is paralleled, the VL6548 eliminates those issues.

"It is a strong feature inverter 6500w, 110vac 48v, Split phase capable ( for using 2 or above in parallel connection )
For single-unit use, it can work without a battery. wifi/parallel kit built-in. PV input 250vdc ."

One particularly useful feature is the "mobile app". Unfortunately, it is shown to still use WatchPower (which is really crappy by modern standards)
Scheduling feature to only charge or use the battery during specified times.
The much voltage of the MPPT is a significant step in the right direction versus the LV5048.

If you plan to have a rather large system, this looks like a serious contender to some top-tier labels.

However. We live in north texas and NO ONE services mpp anywhere around here.

Pretty sure it'll simply clip at 18A, max it can handle, so whatever voltage is being produced by the panels, in my case 154V at 110F is the Power, ~11kW. MPP also recommends a 30A breaker on each input, so it can likely handle more than even the 25A without blowing up and they're just being safe. It would be helpful if they'd explain all of this, specifically WHY it's clipped at 18A, but they recommend a 25A Imp with a 30A breaker. But given their comms skills, this is about as likely to happen as the pretty girl telling you honestly why she said No when you asked her out. :)
Did you ever get your system installed? I am building a very similar system with what I think are the same panels. I'm about to get my permit and would like to get more information before the actually install to avoid problems. Here is the system I'm building if you are interested. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...e-304ah-lifepo4-battery-14-kw-pv-array.32343/ Thanks

Last week I thought I blew the 200 amp fuse on one of my LV6548s.

19 months in use.

I opened the case up to replace the fuse and am pleasantly surprised at how completely clean it is inside. The little sponge filters appear entirely useless, but were covered in dust. Turns out that the fuse was fine.

Last week I thought I blew the 200 amp fuse on one of my LV6548s.

19 months in use.

I opened the case up to replace the fuse and am pleasantly surprised at how completely clean it is inside. The little sponge filters appear entirely useless, but were covered in dust. Turns out that the fuse was fine.
Yep I cleaned mine this spring and was also surprised how well they work. I kind of wish they slid in and out like a window AC filter or something vs needing a screw. Maybe a wing nut bolt would be better!

Yep I cleaned mine this spring and was also surprised how well they work. I kind of wish they slid in and out like a window AC filter or something vs needing a screw. Maybe a wing nut bolt would be better!
I just put a shop vac to the sponge filter and don't bother taking it out. I took it out once and was like what a waste of time. The vac cleaned it completely for me.

Back