diy solar

diy solar

MPP-SOLAR LV6548

My LV5048 uses the PV without going through the battery as I am sure the LV6548 does in fact there are displays showing the amps battery charging and the load watts or KWhr . Remember if you plan on doing 240v split phase you will need an even number of LV6548 s or use as 2 different panels with 3 units 0ne for a 120 panel and 2 for a 240 split panel but you would also need 2 sets of batteries maybe. You definitely need at least 3 units for 22kw of panels and maybe more depending on their voltage and wattage of individual panels since current limited to 18 amps and voltage limited to 250v. If you have say 300 watt panels with VOC of 9.1 then you can't parallel and would only be able to connect about 6 to each MPPT circuit The 18 amps may be very limiting for many potential users. 450v with 18 amps would be much more useful. You might be able to put 2 strings in parallel to each MPPT though. You would also need 2 Solark 12 s if you went that route for 22kw of panels. Remember also the LV 6548 like many other units are not Batteryless when used in parallel.
i'm a little concerned about the voltage on my panels.my panels are 420W.
Voc 48.84
Vmpp 41.08
Isc 10.74
Isc 10.74

I was under the impression that the current would be fine with a 2P config of the panels as the lv6548 is only gonna take the max current it can pull, the 18A.

Im thinking for 2 LV6548 i would have a 5S2P per PV input with 3 panels facing south,1 panel east and one panel West per string. (totaling 20 panels at 8400W) thinking the east and west panels will keep the Voltage within spec....or is this cutting it too close
with the east/west config the voltage will be more closer to a 4s2p configuration than a 5s2p withe the benefits of capturing the early mornign/late evening sun

i would figure something else after with the remaining 14 panels i have

I got a spectacular deal on the panels that i couldn't pass up... i originally only wanted 16kw for the sol ark but now i have all this extra potential power i could use

i have 10kwh of batteries and 22kw of panels i just need to fill in the gaps to make it all work

I dont have a need for 3 phase... single phase with 3 units is the max i would need. I would still get 240V single phase
i would like to be able to charge my 2 EV's, Heat water tanks when ever the sun is shining in the winter. the other 3 seasons will be a breeze

Last edited:
i'm a little concerned about the voltage on my panels.my panels are 420W.
Voc 48.84
Vmpp 41.08
Isc 10.74
Isc 10.74

I was under the impression that the current would be fine with a 2P config of the panels as the lv6548 is only gonna take the max current it can pull, the 18A.

Im thinking for 2 LV6548 i would have a 5S2P per PV input with 3 panels facing south,1 panel east and one panel West per string. (totaling 20 panels at 8400W) thinking the east and west panels will keep the Voltage within spec....or is this cutting it too close
with the east/west config the voltage will be more closer to a 4s2p configuration than a 5s2p withe the benefits of capturing the early mornign/late evening sun

i would figure something else after with the remaining 14 panels i have

I got a spectacular deal on the panels that i couldn't pass up... i originally only wanted 16kw for the sol ark but now i have all this extra potential power i could use

i have 10kwh of batteries and 22kw of panels i just need to fill in the gaps to make it all work

I dont have a need for 3 phase... single phase with 3 units is the max i would need. I would still get 240V single phase
i would like to be able to charge my 2 EV's, Heat water tanks when ever the sun is shining in the winter. the other 3 seasons will be a breeze
I think maybe the amps might be ok especially with a mix of panel direction but I think the MPP s are know to be sensitive to over voltage . Even with the non south panels they may still supply a pretty good voltage without much amperage. You could probably purposely shade the non south panels permanently on the south side or you could always switch them in and out manually but that would be a pain. I do not thin k you can use 3 LV6548s in anything but 120v or 3 phase 208v but to 100% sure. I dont believe you could even use the third one on same set of batteries unless 120v or 208 3 phase. Are you talking about 230v single phase thats not 240v single split phase? I would feel much better about a string with only say half east and half west panels a little above the voc. I would talk to Ian at 24/7 solar.com and see what he thinks especially about over 18 amps ok. He is the same one that gas the MPP-USA solar store on eBay but not sure they sell the LV6548 yet but many of the MPP PIP european models are limited to 18 amps also

Last edited:
I have 300watt mono panels with VOC 39.6 and current max 9.13 IIRC and thought about putting 4 in series with max of LV5048 of 145 volts knowing it would be likely less than 145v but I didn't want to chance it .

yes 220v single phase is all i need.... 110V to power my house 220V to charge my cars and heat water... whats the best way to achieve these goals and utilize the 22kw of panels i have? and it has to be under the price of a sol ark12k.

sol arks advantage for me is its very user friendly and im new to solar and electricity in general so it might be my best/safest option

yes 220v single phase is all i need.... 110V to power my house 220V to charge my cars and heat water... whats the best way to achieve these goals and utilize the 22kw of panels i have? and it has to be under the price of a sol ark12k.

sol arks advantage for me is its very user friendly and im new to solar and electricity in general so it might be my best/safest option
IF you want 220V single phase, then why are you looking US type inverters?

Aside from Japan, every other country uses "230"V single phase, so get any other MPP-SOLAR world inverter, anything except split phase, anything except US standard.

yes 220v single phase is all i need.... 110V to power my house 220V to charge my cars and heat water... afest option
I must be miss understanding what your saying.

The standard in the US is 220v (240v) split phase. L1 - N- L2 L1 - N is 110 L2-N is 110. L1-L2 is 220v. You can NOT get 110v from a single phase 220v inverter without extra expensive transformers.

Aside from Japan, every other country uses "230"V single phase, so get any other MPP-SOLAR world inverter, anything except split phase, anything except US standard.
thats a great idea... i just assumed needed i needed to replicate the grid going off grid.... but a system like the lv8048 is perfect as a dedicated car charging system/heating/cooling.... it also has a max500 v input! i can run my house off 110v

i wonder if i will need a different EVSE or would my current one work with this unit

I need to pick ur brain on this LV6548 setup. Rather not bore everyone with my lack of knowledge ?. U mind if I pm you?

Is the onboard charger on my EV even compatible with that system?
Usually, the EVSE is compatible with the 240V systems. People would hack early EVSE's from chevy to make them 240 compatible, it was really a rather trivial event. Just look at the label, it will probably show 100-250V compatibility. As long as that is the case, it will work fine.

Usually, the EVSE is compatible with the 240V systems. People would hack early EVSE's from chevy to make them 240 compatible, it was really a rather trivial event. Just look at the label, it will probably show 100-250V compatibility. As long as that is the case, it will work fine.
The 240v non north american system only has 3 wires. Ground neutral And one hot leg with 240. The NA 240 system has 4 wire. Does that make a difference? How does the 3 wire system work with my 4 wire plug? My plug is looking for 2 hot wires at 120v, a neutral and a ground.
Have you personally used/setup a non north american 240V system?

There just seems to be some incompatibility somewhere... I love the idea because I have no use for the 120v in this particular setup

The 240v non north american system only has 3 wires. Ground neutral And one hot leg with 240. The NA 240 system has 4 wire. Does that make a difference? How does the 3 wire system work with my 4 wire plug? My plug is looking for 2 hot wires at 120v, a neutral and a ground.
Have you personally used/setup a non north american 240V system?

There just seems to be some incompatibility somewhere... I love the idea because I have no use for the 120v in this particular setup
240V split phase is the sine gap between the 120 max and the 180° sine 120 Min, thus a 240V current. I have long since lost track of what inverter you are asking about because this is the LV6548 thread. The only way to get 240V from the LV6548 is with split phase 240. So you are looking at ~$2300 just for a 240V inverter. I'd definitely shop elsewhere for something else that can do 240V with one inverter.

Like the LV5048 or LV6048, or even the LV8048 (I just saw this, I know nothing about it). These are single box 240V options.

FYI, just an update on a question I had sent to both vendors for the MPP LV6548 and the Growatt SPF 12000DVM, about idle power draw.

Peggy responded that the LV6548: "...stand by power consumption is around 25-30Watt "
(not sure if that is for pair or single unit, I specifically asked about 'pair of these' in my original question to her)

And seller of the Growatt SPF 12000DVM indicated: "Idle draw on the 12kw is 150W"

My Aimes 10k has a 150 watt draw as well.

Back