diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar LVX 6048 fault code 8

racegunz

Similar to some other's issues but unique enough and no clear answer so far for me.
I have had this inverter in off grid mode (utility feed shut off completely) running without issue for a few weeks. I had two faults (#8) when utility was hooked up initially with grid feedback disabled. Watts 24/7 told me to change some battery charging settings to alleviate. This seemed to work until yesterday when I got utility approval to feedback to grid. In short the unit worked fine until sunset and the battery took over. The unit faulted on #8. I reset the unit and watched it and within a few minutes the fault light started to flash, then a few minutes more it made some loud humming noises and shutdown with a fault #8. I reset the unit and turned off the utility power, (this being the same configuration that had been working for weeks. Within a few minutes it shut down again for fault #8.
This morning I reset the unit turned everything back on and it is working fine so far. (my initial thoughts are the unit struggles to ac couple battery power with the ac input, it becomes unstable and eventually faults)??? That does not explain why it failed the second time last night.

I have confirmed my battery setting with Bigbattery.com and they do not see an issue, these settings were what I was told my Watts 24/7 to try and some are even more conservative. It seems to me the issue is not battery charging but actually battery usage. I have turned off the ac charging completely so only PV will charge the battery. I will report what happens tonight later. So far Watts 24/7 told me to reduce battery charge settings (can't get lower than off).

18 320 watt panels 9 in series paralleled to PV input
LVX 6048 split phase grid tie
BigBattery.com 48vlt grilla Lithium 120 amp hr battery

settings (meaningful ones anyway)
03 120 vlt
04 60 hz
11 40a
13 10a
14 user
17 56
18 55.5
19 41.5
20 51.2
21 55

What is the max voltage the solar charge controller can accept?
What is the open circuit voltage of you strings?
I wonder if you are getting over voltage on the pv bus.

Please post the text that correlates to error #8 in your manual.

I am way under the PV voltage max of 450. Not trying to be snarky but did you actually read my post? It clearly stated the issue occurs after the sun goes down so no PV voltage.
As for code #8 error on page 26 in the chart is states Bus Voltage too high
on page 28 troubleshooting guide it shows codes 08/09/53/57 internal components failure, return to repair center.

I am way under the PV voltage max of 450. Not trying to be snarky but did you actually read my post?
Not really.
My eyes are sore.
It clearly stated the issue occurs after the sun goes down so no PV voltage.
I'll see myself out.
As for code #8 error on page 26 in the chart is states Bus Voltage too high
on page 28 troubleshooting guide it shows codes 08/09/53/57 internal components failure, return to repair center.
Which continent is the repair center on?

So far MPP has had me update the firmware, which did not help the issue, I have been sent another firmware update and will try this evening. Interesting I have this issue and no one else with Grid feedback and battery is reporting anything similar.

New Firmware loaded and the inverter still faulted when using battery power, somehow during this process the inverter side of my PV breaker feed arced out and burnt the + wire up. Now I have to order a new breaker as it is pretty scarred up.

Last edited:
Got the replacement from Watts 24/7 (thanks) once installed I will update the tread here.

Update for anyone following, Ian sent me a "sungold"? replacement, so a China made copy to determine if the fault I was getting was truly an inverter issue. Not a fan of jumping through hoops but also want to get this working, so I progressed.
After the install some parameters did not want to change from default, I tried many things and finally got them to stay where I set them by escaping out after each individual change. The first evening the unit did not use any battery after the PV array dropped out it switched straight to utility. Ian had me change the charging priority to mixed (utility and PV from PV only) not sure why that would affect the load priority but last night it worked as it should. No faults!

I was sent a "sungold" replacement, looks to be a direct Chinese copy and yes that fixed the problem. Was a pain as you can read to get the parameters set. After that it's ran and backfed surplus to grid as it should. Good luck!

So far MPP has had me update the firmware, which did not help the issue, I have been sent another firmware update and will try this evening. Interesting I have this issue and no one else with Grid feedback and battery is reporting anything similar.

New Firmware loaded and the inverter still faulted when using battery power, somehow during this process the inverter side of my PV breaker feed arced out and burnt the + wire up. Now I have to order a new breaker as it is pretty scarred up.
I’m having the same issues with both of my Sungold inverters. Their TP6048. Same as the LVX6048. Everything happens after sundown and switching to batteries. I do have grid feedback set as on. One has been working fine for a couple of months then all of sudden, this problem. Same as you described and fault code 08. Please let me know what your solution was.

I was sent a "sungold" replacement, looks to be a direct Chinese copy and yes that fixed the problem. Was a pain as you can read to get the parameters set. After that it's ran and backfed surplus to grid as it should. Good luck!
What part/board did you change?

Back